NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Zach

Default Let's talk Tango Eggs

A smallish set (22 known) from 1916 that doesn't seem to get too much hype. I've been thinking about the condition of the majority of the cards I've seen and it's making me wonder if they were actually distributed or not.

I haven't been around the hobby as long as some of you guys, but I can't remember seeing a poor example of a Tango Eggs card. It seems as though most of them have pretty sharp corners and no creases. I also don't recall ever seeing one with back damage indicating that it was removed from a scrapbook.

I've picked up 3 examples so far:
Jennings SGC 84
Weaver SGC 80
Bescher PSA 6

Currently on ebay:
Weaver PSA 4
Bescher SGC 80
Chase PSA 7
Dooin PSA 8
Bescher PSA 7

If these cards were actually distributed then it makes me wonder why the vast majority are in such good condition.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 AM
pete ullman

Personally...I believe some were distributed...like the beater cobb discovered not long ago...but most were not and were found a la black swamp find in fine...unmolested condition...albeit in unequal player distributions.

These cards get very little respect considering their relative scarcity.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
These cards get very little respect considering their relative scarcity.
I agree with that... but let's keep it quiet until I can gather up a few more.

I think the people selling them give them resepct. The commons usually go for at least $200+ (it doesn't help that they are usually a grade 6 or better).

It's also interesting that very recently new cards have been discovered. I have my checklist at 22 known subjects but it seems that the number could be much higher when you compare them to other sets that share the same images.

Last edited by ZachS; 08-12-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Scott S

I think Anthony (Griffins) has 1-2 other cards besides the Cobb which were distributed and are in worn shape. Most of the cards with wear have a numerical stamp, which seems to signify some sort of redemption process or something.

Hopefully Anthony will chime in with the details on this, as he has as much info as anyone on these (he was a good source when I was collecting a few of them before!)....

Edit to add a scan - what good is a thread without a scan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tango eggs meyer.jpg (60.7 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 08-12-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I think Anthony (Griffins) has 1-2 other cards besides the Cobb which were distributed and are in worn shape. Most of the cards with wear have a numerical stamp, which seems to signify some sort of redemption process or something.

Hopefully Anthony will chime in with the details on this, as he has as much info as anyone on these (he was a good source when I was collecting a few of them before!)....
Interesting. I don't recall seeing any with a numerical stamp (edit: now I do remember seeing one in a thread here a long time ago). Somebody get Anthony in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Edit to add a scan - what good is a thread without a scan!
Absolutely! I'd love to see some more Tango Eggs cards. My 3:

Last edited by ZachS; 08-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Tango

Hi,

The Tango's are interesting. SGC lists 16 different players and 144 total cards graded. Bescher leads the way with 41 cards, and the lowest grade is a 50. There is only 1 Cobb and that is graded a 10.

PSA shows 16 different players, and 220 cards graded. Bescher again leads the way with 46 cards, and PSA doesn't show a Cobb.

Interesting set and one that I am still hoping to add to my Louisiana type set. I keep getting outbid, and now I know who is outbidding me.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I keep getting outbid, and now I know who is outbidding me.
Rick, I think you're safe for now. I need to find a D303 Mothers' Bread next so I'll lay off the Tango Eggs for you... for a little while at least.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Zach

Scott, after reading your post I remembered seeing a scan of one with the numerical stamp you referred to. I did a search and found the image... posted by Anthony. I'm guessing that this is what you were talking about?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Zach,

My personal opinion is that the Tango Egg set, like a few other sets, isn't collected or respected as much as other sets just because it is so rare.

1) Only 16 different cards known in the set so far which means that if a person wanted to collect the set they don't know if they are finished when and/or if they were to get all 16 cards.

2) Distribution of players. From what I have read about these cards, 3 to 5 are fairly easy to find, another small group are a little harder to find but no impossible and then the rest are next to impossible.

I don't think most collectors want to spend the rest of their lives trying to complete something that they know they have a good shot at never completing. With only one or two Ty Cobb cards known, most collectors couldn't afford to buy it even if it did come up for sale in a public place.

That is why the T206 set is heavily collected; a known number of cards in the set, most easily attainable and something that can be worked on over the years with a dream that one wins the lottery so that they can buy a Wagner.

As far as the Tango Egg cards go, I think most collectors, if they even know or are interested in the set, would get a card for their type card collections and then move on.

David
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I agree with that... but let's keep it quiet until I can gather up a few more. .
Really, starting a thread entitled "Let's Talk Tango Eggs" isn't exactly the way to keep it quiet, do you think? LOL. I love these cards, but for the price range, there are other scarce issues I like better. Just me, though, like you and the Louisiana cards, I am hooked on the PCL cards. These really are nice, though.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
pete ullman

I still think Tango eggs cards are cheap as compared to scarcer backed t206's and the like...which are much more common...yet are also more pricey!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

I remember when Mr Mint had a big ad selling them. I called to try to buy one as a type. The price seemed really low.

He wasn't in, wasn't in, wasn't in.....I left a message and was assured he'd call back when he wasn't busy.

It's now been......? .......years. I'm still waiting (Not really. I gave up on getting that call long ago and began the disliking him. Which I've managed to keep up with. )
It wouldn't have been all that hard to have someone on staff call to say they'd been sold already or that the price was a typo and they wouldn't sell them for that.

I'll pick up one of the easy ones someday.

Steve B