NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Default 1870s photo HELP needed...

Hey fellas.... I possibly am going to have an opportunity to purchase the attached item (i'm 2nd on the pecking list) and am trying to do a bit of research as its not a no-brainer price... anyway, he claims it to be 1870s... also, he feels it might have a pretty well known individual in the photo which i will not mention ahead of time to see if anyone else identifies it also haha... anyway the frame is 30"x26" and the picture image is 19 1/2 x 15 3/4. ANY help on the era, value, etc would be MUCH APPRECIATED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (70.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (55.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.JPG (45.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.JPG (55.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM

I'd say it's after the 1870s, but it's quite large and has value due to that. Oversize photos are both rarer and valued for their display value.

I won't give a value, but if you said what he wanted I'd give an opinion if it was a fair price.

Last edited by drc; 03-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM

With it being framed and matted, I would be careful in buying it unless, of course, 1) it can be taken out of the frame and examined and 2) you get a written confirmation that you can have your money refunded if it turns out to be a newer print.....

David
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Dave

I wouldn't get into any bidding wars without seeing it outside of the frame.

Picture size being just under a standard 20x16 concerns me a little bit.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the great info...the seller seems to think spalding is in this picture
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM

If that is 1870's, its LATE like December 1879 in my opinion. I would say it is closer to around 1880-82 or so based on the photography as well as the uniforms and equipment. Not a really big difference but I dont want you to think "1870's" means early or mid decade because there actually is quite a big difference between an 1872-75 era photo and one from the early 1880's which are MUCH more plentiful.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

A few things:
  • Given that it's got an 'x' over the guy at front center, you might find an i.d. on the back when you de-frame it.
  • There really is no standard size on albumen images this old - they were printed, they were cut, they were matted. This one might be closer to what Dave considers 'standard', once the matt is removed. As long as it has the original matting, image size isn't an issue.
  • No Spalding
  • I never consider a photo like this 1870's unless there is real good reason to do so...even though it might be. Seeing it out of the frame, in person, will give you a better idea.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
A few things:
  • Given that it's got an 'x' over the guy at front center, you might find an i.d. on the back when you de-frame it.
  • There really is no standard size on albumen images this old - they were printed, they were cut, they were matted. This one might be closer to what Dave considers 'standard', once the matt is removed. As long as it has the original matting, image size isn't an issue.
  • No Spalding
  • I never consider a photo like this 1870's unless there is real good reason to do so...even though it might be. Seeing it out of the frame, in person, will give you a better idea.

When I said "standard", it was because I was concerned it was a slightly trimmed down modern 16x20 print, not that it didn't fit some standard 1870's-80's era size.

It would be unusual for any albumen print to measure that close to a modern size, especially when you get to the larger sizes (8x10, 8 1/2" x 11", 11x17, 16x20), they are usually more erratic then that.

With the pictures given, I don't think you can tell enything given the frame it's in, but I'd be suspicious of anybody who offered me a 16x20 / 20x16 albumen photo.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 03-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Guys I greatly greatly appreciate all this info. Thanks very much!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
When I said "standard", it was because I was concerned it was a slightly trimmed down modern 16x20 print, not that it didn't fit some standard 1870's-80's era size.

It would be unusual for any albumen print to measure that close to a modern size, especially when you get to the larger sizes (8x10, 8 1/2" x 11", 11x17, 16x20), they are usually more erratic then that.

With the pictures given, I don't think you can tell enything given the frame it's in, but I'd be suspicious of anybody who offered me a 16x20 / 20x16 albumen photo.
I own a few. Nothing odd about the size of this one.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Tom Re.bert

1) I would ask the seller to remove the photo for a look & see
A) if they say no, ask why?--I would think if its right the seller would will be cooperative to your request
B) Advise you are more than willing to pay to have the picture
professional backed at any frame shop of his choice.

2) If he says No--I would pass or bid the amount I was comfortable with paying, but if you really like it who cares.
A refund in writing is OK, but could be worth only the paper its written on.

3) If he allows, look for a Photographers name or location of the Studio. Although many photos of this size or not marked this could help.

4) Pay strict attention to the overall condition, especially the back, the mounting card board edges, the photo's edges & surface, etc. If all the prints medium looks too good to perfect condition, I would question its age.

5) I was offered several old Cabinet Cards where the old original photo had either been scrapped off or covered over with new reproduction Indian Chief's photo's. The photo's white edge's & cut & especially the photographs grainy surface gave it away for me.

Another example: I once inspected several Cabinet card's with Annie Oakley image. In this case the complete Cabinet Card was reproduced. --The dead giveaway was inspecting the extreme edge of the photograph's condition which was snow white with a near perfect straight cut. Also overall the Cabinet Card was in perfect condition??

7) I should add we have all seen paper items that were artificially aged.

8) Only my opinion of a few things I would check if I wanted the photo. Good Luck!

Last edited by Directly; 03-24-2013 at 10:41 AM.