NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Chris

Default PSA Business Strategy...

Let me run this theory by you...
PSA (like all card grading companies) don't actually offer anything (other than a holder). Accordingly, their profit, is effectivly unlimited as their costs are basically fixed. The only limit is the number of cards submitted for grading. Think about this: unlike products or services which need to be repurchased or serviced (i.e. lawnmower, parts/service), once a card is graded, that is it. However, PSA rolls out the half-point grade service. This effectively allows them to grade a ton of cards AGAIN! Do you think rolling out the half point grade scale was a reaction to collectors wanting more "accurate" grading, or for PSA to realize double profits from garding the same cards twice through resubmissions?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the latter

I think it was to make more money. It was a great marketing move.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Money was a major part of it. As you say, they're a company that does things to make money. That, however, doesn't mean PSA and some of their collectors didn't think .5 grades was a good idea anyway.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Barry Sloate

It was unquestionably a marketing move, and nothing more.

But they do have fixed costs. They do have to pay graders a salary (I've heard a rumor the graders are chained to their desks and are only given bread and water, but I have not been able to confirm this). Also, I'm sure the heat sealing machinery needs regular repairs.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Barry Arnold

Default psa

barry s.,
i have heard that such caloric deprivation can lead to hypoxic brain injury, resulting in thes individuals' giving grades to trimmed cards.
i do wonder if such harsh working conditions are limited to any one company, however.
best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 04-05-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Barry Sloate

Barry A.- however you look at it...it's bad.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamealreadytaken View Post
Do you think rolling out the half point grade scale was a reaction to collectors wanting more "accurate" grading, or for PSA to realize double profits from garding the same cards twice through resubmissions?
There were about a dozen threads on this when PSA rolled out the half-point grades. Some of them got pretty entertaining, based on the "controversial" decision not to reduce grades by a half point.

If they were really serious about getting it right, as opposed to making a profit, they would also downgrade cards when appropriate. By guaranteeing that your card could only go up, they were maximizing submissions and thus revenue.

Just another reason PSA will not be getting me back as a customer any time soon.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
There were about a dozen threads on this when PSA rolled out the half-point grades. Some of them got pretty entertaining, based on the "controversial" decision not to reduce grades by a half point.

If they were really serious about getting it right, as opposed to making a profit, they would also downgrade cards when appropriate. By guaranteeing that your card could only go up, they were maximizing submissions and thus revenue.

Just another reason PSA will not be getting me back as a customer any time soon.
Wouldnt surprise me to see 1/4 grades ...Ex 5.25 5.75
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Wouldnt surprise me to see 1/4 grades ...Ex 5.25 5.75
Actually, they're going to move to a 20 point scale. And all 10s will have to be resubmitted to see if they qualify for a 20.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Rich Klein

Default That has happened in Coins

At one pt we had a "65" scale; now it's a "70" scale. Don't be surprised to see further iterations to "upgrade" cards in the future
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Jason

Default The Game is over when...

they send you a letter saying that your card was altered and as such will be destroyed, or sold on their own auction site, whichever is deemed most appropriate. You will be billed for the listing fees and roundly criticized in a public forum for trying to defraud them.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Brandon Brown

Default Card Registry

In my opinion, the card registry on PSA and SGC are an extension of their marketing strategies to make more money in the long run. People spend money on getting cards graded, so they can show off their high end collections, and now with the half point grading scale, the chance to be even "better" than the next guy will prompt re-grading of some of those cards. I may be wrong but thats kinda how I see it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
they send you a letter saying that your card was altered and as such will be destroyed, or sold on their own auction site, whichever is deemed most appropriate. You will be billed for the listing fees and roundly criticized in a public forum for trying to defraud them.
This reminds me of a story...

I sold some high end o-rings to a customer once and he sent them in for testing to make sure conformed to certain standards that his engineer requested. Now mind you this is about 20 o-rings and the dollar amount was about 12k. He receives a letter back fromt he standards board stating....

Your orings met all standards as outlined. We cannot return any of your "samples" to you as we needed to do destructive testing to determine their conformance!

so in other words, the only way to see if the part was acceptable is too destroy it!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
DavidWirtanen

i think eventually there will be a need to reslab all our cards due to proliferation of fraudulent slabs. PSA may already be envisioning the day they'll release the new and improved slabs that can not be duplicated.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Bill

Three letters sums what I think of PSA and yes the half point grade was nothing but a money maker for Joe and the boys.

S G C

Life Member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 7 Little Rock, Arkansas.