NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default We don't need no stinkin' slabs!!!

I hate everything about graded cards and most especially the ridiculous back and forth talk of, "I think if I resubmit this card, it'll get a half point bump," etc., etc. Apparently it never matters that they're talking about the same exact card. Nothing will change except for the stupid number of the slab. The card won't magically improve overnight. But last night I ran across the ultimate reason why graded cards are a waste of time…I simply opened my 1959 set binder. That was it. What wafted out was over a half century worth of cardboard 'fermentation.' Remember that beautiful smell? That comforting and familiar odor of your childhood?? I looked like John Belushi, just following my nose on a bender, trying to inhale all of that rich cardboard flavor. God, that made me smile!! Then I went to sniff my graded cards in their plastic tombs. Nothing. Just nothing. Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Good post. Baseball Cards were meant to be held, smelled, and fondled.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Steve

Default Sticky shock

I'm with you guys....except for that time I ordered some 1954 Johnston Cookie cards back in the '80's. I ripped open the packaging, anticipating that delicious aroma of ancient pasteboard, and maybe even some lingering cookie smell, only to recoil from the noxious and unmistakable odor of polyvinyl chloride. The seller had stored the cards in cheap plastic pages that had deteriorated over time and just about ruined the cards. Pretty well-known and reputable dealer, at that. He cheerfully refunded the sale, but it struck me as strange that he had no clue about the dangers of cheap vinyl as late as the mid-80's.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Grading

I am not a graded collector. All my sets are in easy access binders. But I am just a hobby collector and what I have spent on cards is a very small fraction of my estate. If I was making my living on cards or was in it for the investment I get why you have to deal with grading currently. One of my best friends has one of the best post war collections I know of, and much of his collection is graded. I seek his opinion often on the reasonable market price for a card, graded or not. I don't let grading bother me anymore. It is what it is.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Dustin Bellinger

The fact that people let other collectors preferences bother in the first place is what amazes me. I just shake my head at the angst. If you don't like graded don't buy them. Why are worried about if I prefer something different?

I am a collecter. Don't do the crack and submit game. I buy what I like because I like it and if I buy it I plan to keep it. If I show my graded Goudeys or 50s Topps to someone and they admire it and compliment it that's great. But, I am not going to give a flip if they say they don't agree with grading cards. I don't expect anyone else to build their collection to suit me either. I have my reason for liking what I do and that's good enough for me.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default slab

Jolly
I agree....especially for mid grade ( PSA 4,5,6,7) modern stuff . .. what a waste of money !