NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Feel free to share a cool card show memory

Hi All,

Joining this message board has me thinking about a lot of nice times that revolved around sports cards. It gave me the idea to start a thread to share such memories.

I was at a baseball card show, and George “Boomer” Scott was signing. My Uncles and myself were talking to him a good long while. Shy as I was in my early teens, he was so friendly that I was very talkative. I asked him if he owned a rookie card of himself, and he replied come to think of it I do not. He then handed me some money, asked me to go around the show, and see if I could not locate one for him. When I did, and came back with it, he was most excited. That is one of my fondest memories from that time.

If this is not the correct forum, please feel free to move it. I’d love to hear some of your stories.

Best,
John
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Shows

That is actually a neat story. Where & when did this occur?

Z
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM

Hi Zach,

The older I get the worse my memory is. That said, I would guess in 1989, or maybe 1990. It was at a small baseball card show I believe in Burlington, MA. Potentially it was in Woburn, MA. I was and am proud I could play a small part in helping the Boomer own his own rookie card.

Best always,
John
Old 04-20-2016, 02:07 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

That's a great story...I dug that. If I had a rookie card out there I would own like 200 of them...haha.

In 1990, the peak of the junk wax era, I was one of the rare guys in my area who had a decent amount of vintage. I had about 10-12 shops (only 1 is left!! wow) would call me when they had special requests from customers and I would either trade that for junk wax (haha) or consign. It was a good deal for both parties and I became good friends with all the shop owners.

My buddy and I got the hair brained idea to host our own show to make a few bucks and help our shop buddies. We rented the local elementary school cafeteria for $20 bucks (buddies with the janitor who ran it) and charged $25 a table and the goal was 20 tables. We ended up selling 30 tables and turned folks away (just word of mouth, and ran out of room) and honestly we were hoping to get maybe 50-60 people to show up. For $25 bucks the table owners figured if no one showed up they would still make enough money from the table owners to make it worth their while. I was ecstatic, we were already at $700 profit without doing a thing...a lot of money to a couple of 20 year olds at the time!

We put an ad in the local paper, and put up signs around town. Nothing else. We did however put up a sign by the freeway offramp which we found out was illegal, but very effective. So...we charged $1 entry free...mostly so we could just find out how many people came. The show started at 9am...and we had a crowd waiting! Shocked, we ended up having over 1500 people come through! The table owners were absolutely shocked, and most sold out of what they brought, it was a total frenzy. We also auctioned off a 1961 Mint Koufax for a dollar a ticket along with some free door prizes. Sold over 300 tickets for the Koufax, was shocked. (also found out later that wasn't kosher, but hey, we were just kids!).

Long story short, the shop owners for years bragged how our little show was by far the most profitable they had ever attended, and we were teased how much we should have charged for the tables and even had we charged $2 admission how much more we would have made. Just goes to show you how crazy that era was and being in the Seattle area how much Griffey ignited the hobby. Exciting and fleeting times.

We have a couple of local shows in our area now...fun to go to, never really much vintage. I love a good show, and it's been years since I have been to one. One day I would love to go to the National...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Default My Card Show Memory

Mostly lurker here but I have a good story about a card show.

I was probably 16 when I went with my brother and my dad to a show in the Chicago suburbs (1974?). Toward the end of the day we spotted a 1933 Goudey Ruth at a table, but above our budget. It was probably $30.00. We drooled over it but we just didn't have enough money.

The dealer was an older gentleman, an obvious veteran of the early days of collecting. He asked us how much money we had. We emptied our pockets of all the loose bills and change we had and it came to about $17.00. He said, "OK, help me load up the car and I'll sell you the card for what you have left."

It meant that we left the show a little late and my dad had to check the dealer out to make sure he was OK, but he was, and that's how I got my first Ruth. Still have it and although it's not in perfect condition, it's a nice presentable card.

I don't really collect anymore, but I read this forum pretty regularly and I've tried to play it forward. Once in a while an acquaintance will mention a card he or she used to have and if I can, I just give it to them. Makes them so happy and in turn makes me so.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B@rry View Post
Mostly lurker here but I have a good story about a card show.

I was probably 16 when I went with my brother and my dad to a show in the Chicago suburbs (1974?). Toward the end of the day we spotted a 1933 Goudey Ruth at a table, but above our budget. It was probably $30.00. We drooled over it but we just didn't have enough money.

The dealer was an older gentleman, an obvious veteran of the early days of collecting. He asked us how much money we had. We emptied our pockets of all the loose bills and change we had and it came to about $17.00. He said, "OK, help me load up the car and I'll sell you the card for what you have left."

It meant that we left the show a little late and my dad had to check the dealer out to make sure he was OK, but he was, and that's how I got my first Ruth. Still have it and although it's not in perfect condition, it's a nice presentable card.

I don't really collect anymore, but I read this forum pretty regularly and I've tried to play it forward. Once in a while an acquaintance will mention a card he or she used to have and if I can, I just give it to them. Makes them so happy and in turn makes me so.
\

Nothing wrong with being a lurker . The angst on this board sometimes can be intimidating....and it has lessened considerably in the last 8-9 years.

Cool story. Nice way to pick up a Ruth.

Z
Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

The year was 1976 or 1977, and I was 14 or 15 years old. I was attending one of the semi-annual card shows at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan (New York City). It was late in the afternoon and I had developed a bad headache. I was sitting in the lobby, where they had plenty of plush chairs and sofas.

I probably had my face in my hands when I was approached by an older gentleman who inquired if I was okay. I told him that I had a bad headache. He asked if I was staying at the hotel. I explained that I had attended the card show and was waiting for my headache to subside before taking the subway home to Brooklyn. (I'm paraphrasing. I don't think I used the words "attended" or "subside" at age 15.) He asked if I had taken any aspirin, and I said that I had not. He then walked away, only to reappear within two minutes with aspirin and a paper cup of water. I took the aspirin and thanked him before he walked away.

A few months later, I attended a smaller card show. (I don't remember where.) I ran into the aforementioned gentleman there. Much to my surprise, he was signing autographs. His name was Cal Abrams - former Brooklyn Dodger.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 04-22-2016, 04:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B@rry View Post

Great stories, guys. Thanks for sharing them!
Old 04-23-2016, 03:42 AM
Steve

Default Nice story

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
...I ran into the aforementioned gentleman there. Much to my surprise, he was signing autographs. His name was Cal Abrams - former Brooklyn Dodger.
Really like that story. It's so easy to forget that ballplayers - or celebrities in general - are often down-to-earth, decent human beings. I think that is because a minority of them are at the opposite pole and get a lot of the media coverage.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:01 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Really like that story. It's so easy to forget that ballplayers - or celebrities in general - are often down-to-earth, decent human beings. I think that is because a minority of them are at the opposite pole and get a lot of the media coverage.
Great point! The few that are jerks get most of the attention it seems. I guess that is generally true in society. Really nice story, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Best Card Show Memory

Dearborn, Michigan 1987. My daughter and I went to the show to get Gordie Howe's autograph. She had a Red Wings pennant with some autos on it. I had a jersey that had a few sigs on it. We went in and bought our tickets, we were in the 400's. I looked around and the bleachers were full of people waiting for Gordie. No one was walking around the tables. So, we went went around and purchased a few things until we got to the last table on our route. My daughter bought a grab bag for a dollar that had the Domino's pizza 68 Tiger set in it. I am a Post and Jello collector and I looked down and there was a stack of 62 Jello cards for sale. Mays on top for 120.00. 34 cards. I told the dealer that I had 80.00 dollars in my wallet and he said, "I'll take it, you guys are the third people that have bought anything all day. In the stack, Bobby Richardson and Bill Stafford. We then sold our autograph tickets, because she was ready for McDonald's and didn't want to wait 4 hours for the autograph.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

1990 at a show at BC High in Boston, MA. Ken Griffey Jr. was the autograph guest. My ticket was something like number 98. As I walked by the room where Ken was signing the announcer called, "Tickets 1-100." I was literally the first one in line and got an incredible signature on Griffey's 1990 UD card. 26 years later and that card is still one of my favorites!

Griffey could not have been nicer!

Last edited by 7nohitter; 04-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
1990 at a show at BC High in Boston, MA. Ken Griffey Jr. was the autograph guest. My ticket was something like number 98. As I walked by the room where Ken was signing the announcer called, "Tickets 1-100." I was literally the first one in line and got an incredible signature on Griffey's 1991 UD card. 26 years later and that card is still one of my favorites!

Griffey could not have been nicer!

That was one of the first shows I went to. It was awesome.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Garfield NJ boys and girls club 1990 something

I was a teen so maybe 95/96. I went to this show and still do . I attempting to trade or sell some cards . It was me and a few friends. We asked a guy if he was interested in anything. He said he couldn't buy anything because he just bought the entire table next to him.i don't remember the guy's name but he always called us brother. So in a laid back surfer voice he said. You can set up all your cards on the empty table next to me Brotha!! We were so excited ! We sold most I our cards that day. I remember leaving with 200 something bucks. And the guy was like see Brotha how cool was that suffer giggle. We called the guy Brotha man as we knew him for other shows. But we never seen him again after that show.

Brotha man if your out there ?! Thanks for the memories!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 AM

November 1st, 2008, I was in Wilmington, MA, excited to get Johnny Bench’s autograph. I was also hoping for a picture with him. I was wearing Bench jersey, and a Reds cap. As he walked into the room, a good 25 feet away or so, he spotted my outfit, and yelled over “Hey you, with a classy outfit like that, get over here and take a picture with me!” I could not believe it. We chatted for 5 minutes or so. I got to tell him how big a fan I am, and how I loved watching The Baseball Bunch. He personalized the signature on my baseball, and we did indeed got a pic together, complete with holding my childhood t-shirt from The Baseball Bunch. Sometimes you have a hero, and when you meet them, the experience exceeds all expectations. I’ll take this memory with me forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench2.jpg (36.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
That was one of the first shows I went to. It was awesome.
Hey Dave,

That was probably the first 'big' show I had been to. I was 14 at the time, but remember it vividly. I also remember thinking I got a deal on a '72 Nolan Ryan because at the time it booked for $250, but because of a small ding on the side I got it for 'only' $200. Oh well, it was still a great day.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Dave

Any day at a show is a great day.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

No big stories, but a couple fun ones.

The first show I went to in 78 was local and in a Holiday Inn in Burlington Ma. It was the "second annual" while the show lasted a long time, well into the 90's and maybe past 2000? It changed promoters and the hotel changed chains several times. I still have the little ad for the show which was a bit bigger than a mid 50's card.

Anyway, first show, and I found out about it from the local dealer whose store I hung out at. Their table happened to be the first one inside the entrance. As I stopped and started looking at the stuff they had set up one of the guys comes over and says " Steve, you've already seen all this stuff beat it and go look at the other tables. " Pretty cool for them to push me towards the other dealers.
Of course, I was spending a couple hours maybe three days a week in the shop and doing some set building for them, so I was a fairly captive customer.

Second was the Wilmington show, forget the year, but Brooks Robinson was the main autograph guest. I'd already gotten an auto from him years before and he'd been incredibly cool (Small adult venue, and he made the whole line wait while he talked about baseball with the one kid there ) I'd picked up a boxful of MSA discs that had a bunch of his cards, and was sorting it while I was having lunch. A kid and his dad sat at the table and started talking about getting the autographs. After a couple minutes I asked the kid if he liked Robinson. He did, and actually knew something about his career which had probably ended before the kids was born. Asked him what he thought of the discs, which he thought were cool. So I told him Brooks had been really great to me when I was about the same age and gave him a stack of discs with a couple Robinsons and a few other players who were or would be in the HOF. A nice bit of excitement for him. And more fun for me than I'd expected.

Steve B
Old 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM
David M.

This isn't exactly a "show" story, but autograph story. I saw in the newspaper that Duke Snider would be down at the local mall to sign free autographs. I figured it would be a zoo since he's a legendary Dodger player, but I got a baseball and took my wife, since she always likes to go to the mall. When we arrived, I looked for the crowd I was expecting, but didn't see a line or crowd anywhere. I finally spotted Duke, and no one else was around! We walked over and I got his autograph and my wife who can talk to anyone, proceeded to catch up with Duke for around 20 minutes! It was like we were old friends just catching up. Duke couldn't have been nicer! Here's a baseball legend, just hanging out at the mall! We thanked him again for the autograph, and wished him well. My wife had no idea who he was, but we had a great time talking to Duke!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Steve

At one of the first card shows I ever attended - around 1982, or so - I was searching for early Bowman cards and wasn't having much luck, until near the last table, where a small, foreign-accented gentleman was displaying many stacks of exactly what I needed. I had my six-year-old son with me and was holding on to him with a death grip, as I tried to explain to the puzzled dealer that I couldn't let go of him because my hyperactive autistic son would tear off into parts unknown and wreak mayhem on anything he could get his tiny hands on. To my surprise, the guy pulled a box of old beater cards from under his chair and asked if my son would like to play with them. It worked long enough for me to examine a stack of '51 Bowman high numbers and buy about twenty cards. As I paid him and thanked him for his consideration, he said he understood what I was dealing with and only wanted to facilitate a purchase, but I have always suspected that he had experience beyond mere card dealing.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice stories, all!

I have been attending card shows since the 1976 ASCCA show at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC, so I've been to too many and many stories. My favorites:

On the celebrity front, the one that sticks out was a Hollywood Park show I attended where Raiders and Rams were the highlight guests. I happened to be in the hallway when the Raiders came in: Kenny Stabler, Jack Tatum and a few others. Just got to say hello to them but it was like rock stars; those guys had swagger. I went to the bathroom and who ended up next to me? Snake. I don't recall the small talk but he was cool about talking to a fan in the can. I think Stabler was cool about everything.

Sorta show related: I was at the Cleveland National a few years ago and staying at the Sheraton (?). I always ask for the second floor because it has stairs down to the lobby and I don't like waiting for elevators. I step out of my room one morning to go to the show and run, literally, into Jim Brown. Like running into a brick wall. I looked up and said "excuse me", saw who it was, and said "Hey, you're Jim Brown...but I bet you knew that already." He laughed. I asked if he was there for the Hickerson HOF induction and the show and he was so we chatted about that for a second before I let him go on his way. That was actually the second time we had a card show conversation. Years ago when he was a free guest at a show in L.A. I got his autograph on an early card, which wasn't typical at the time [many collectors still treated card signings as card defacing]. He asked why I was having an expensive card signed and I told him because he was the greatest RB who ever played and I wanted a card signed by the GOAT. He seemed genuinely complimented by it and thanked me.

Memory that wasn't: One of the trips to Cleveland I booked a seat in first class because it was only $300 more each way than coach. I wanted to sit in row 1 to stretch my legs but I hate window seats and the aisle was taken, so I opted for the second row. During the flight the man in row 1 aisle stood up and I thought how lucky I was not to be in the window seat next to his because he was even bigger than me. Then I realized it was Dave Winfield. So I missed having a flight conversation with Dave Winfield.

He likes boxing too: I was at one of the Chicago National shows and ended up at a fellow boxing collector's table where he was sitting with his table partner and an older gentleman talking Sugar Ray Robinson and other great fighters of the 1940s-1950s. I sat down and we had a nice discussion for a while before the stranger got up and said he had to go. I then noticed two things: he was tall and had a championship ring. Boston Celtics HOFer Sam Jones.

Alltime best card show memory: the first card show that we [me, Jason and Anthony] promoted a few years ago in SoCal. We had no idea whether the idea would work but the support was great and everyone had a good time. Lost a bundle on the event but it was a blast. Maybe we'll do it again some time when work and home pressures wind down some.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-27-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Hey Dave,

That was probably the first 'big' show I had been to. I was 14 at the time, but remember it vividly. I also remember thinking I got a deal on a '72 Nolan Ryan because at the time it booked for $250, but because of a small ding on the side I got it for 'only' $200. Oh well, it was still a great day.
The first show I went to at BC high, Bill Russell was signing for $350.00 each. I thought people were nuts for it.