NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 AM
pete ullman

I'm obviously in the minority here. No one wants to be responsible/accountable for their actions anymore.

If employee was reprimanded...he deserved to be! If seller lost $1000 due to carelessness...he deserved it.

What happened to being accountable...and repercussions?

Maybe the employee/seller who made a mistake here should be given an "I'll try harder next time trophy?"
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Robert Williams

Cool....you made no mention of the comparable situation though. There is obviously a precedent that had to go thru the court systems. Whatever became of the Nolan Ryan rookie card that sold for, what, $12?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'm obviously in the minority here. No one wants to be responsible/accountable for their actions anymore.

If employee was reprimanded...he deserved to be! If seller lost $1000 due to carelessness...he deserved it.

What happened to being accountable...and repercussions?

Maybe the employee/seller who made a mistake here should be given an "I'll try harder next time trophy?"
Just because someone "deserved" it doesn't mean that people can't have mercy. Just as often as people don't want to be "responsible/accountable" there are people that don't know how to show compassion and mercy.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
there are people that don't know how to show compassion and mercy.
+1
Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Robert Williams

An online store is no different than a brick and mortar store. The person should not be "forced" to complete the trasnaction, the same way that kid took advantage of "good samaritan" watching the store and getting a Ryan rookie for $12. I am sorry, but if that was my Lennox card, then yes, I too would be sitting in court right now.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 AM
pete ullman

OK...this is my last comment!!!!!!! So basically anyone who has ever purchased a card at a steal of a price on ebay(due to sellers lack of knowledge regarding an item...or whatever reason)...should really contact the buyer and offer to sell him/her back the item at said bargain price...as they made a mistake and shouldn't be "punished" for it?

Whatever happened to ones knowledge offering a competitive advantage when purchasing collectibles?

Is this concept antiquated now? That knowledge is even necessary in a given collectible/antiquity category to gain an advantage of some sort?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If the seller made a mistake, I don't believe he should be held accountable. If you accidentally included an extra "0" on a $40 check and wrote it for $400 instead, does the recipient get to keep the extra money just becuase of your mistake?

As I stated earlier, I am just a few minutes from the guy's shop and I'll swing by there on my lunch hour and find out what happend on his end.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Just because someone "deserved" it doesn't mean that people can't have mercy. Just as often as people don't want to be "responsible/accountable" there are people that don't know how to show compassion and mercy.
I wanted to clarify my statement after seeing so many back and forths on whether it is ok to get a deal on ebay (or other avenues). My statement about having compassion and mercy is in the case of a seller backing out of the deal.

If a seller (or even a buyer) backs out of a deal and uses good communication in doing so there is no reason why I would personally hold someone to it. Similar to a person returning items to their local store, or a cashier pointing out that an item was on the wrong shelf and the price is not what the customer thought it was. Every situation is a case-by-case scenario and I wouldn't judge either person in this matter since I don't know the full story, and I am not qualified to be a judge.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default No contact

I just want to point out that at no time has the eBay seller attempted to contact the buyer and despite the item being listed as "shipped", the USPS has no tracking information on the package.

I still want to know what the eBay seller paid for the card and if the board thinks the eBay seller has an obligation to go back and correct the earlier transaction if he purchased the card at a common price.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post

I still want to know what the eBay seller paid for the card and if the board thinks the eBay seller has an obligation to go back and correct the earlier transaction if he purchased the card at a common price.

+++++1
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
I just want to point out that at no time has the eBay seller attempted to contact the buyer and despite the item being listed as "shipped", the USPS has no tracking information on the package.

The only obligation the ebay seller has is to complete the contract as agreed upon with the ebay buyer (as loosely enforced as these contracts may be).

If the ebay seller got a 'steal of a deal' on the card from the original seller, he has no 'obligation' to the original seller, however I would find it hypocritical to expect the ebay buyer to 'understand' or come to a new agreement with the ebay seller if the ebay seller was not willing to recompense the original seller as well. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just hypocritical (IMO).
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
It depends on how the previous transaction occured. If the previous seller approached the buyer (who is now the seller) and said, "I have this card and I want $20 for it" and the the buyer purchased if for that amount, that goes back to what I've been saying over and over - it's a seller's responsibility to do their own homework to know what they're selling and the value. There is nothing to "correct."

Now a question for you. If you do believe the buyer has an obligation to go back and "correct" the earlier transaction, how far back should the correction go? Should that person go back and correct the person he purchased it from and so on and so on? How far back do we go to make it right in your book?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM

I don't know what all the fuss is about. A seller who lists something for sale at a certain price should have no expectations about receiving a different price for their item.

I don't know what all this talk about mistakes is. Sure, people get busy and move quickly. But these are adults and no one needs to hold their hand in my opinion. You make a mistake, you own up to it. I see nothing reasonable about wanting to get out of a deal because you didn't know what you were doing.

Last edited by packs; 05-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know what all the fuss is about. A seller who lists something for sale at a certain price should have no expectations about receiving a different price for their item.

I don't know what all this talk about mistakes is. Sure, people get busy and move quickly. But these are adults and no one needs to hold their hand in my opinion. You make a mistake, you own up to it. I see nothing reasonable about wanting to get out of a deal because you didn't know what you were doing.
Bless you and your opinion!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

+1. It seems like the seller moves a decent amount of product and in this case, a valuable card slipped through the cracks. If I was the buyer, I would be pretty pissed off if the seller tried to reneg after the transaction was completed. I'm pretty sure that if the OP didn't raise the subject right away, the card would have already been shipped.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
It depends on how the previous transaction occured. If the previous seller approached the buyer (who is now the seller) and said, "I have this card and I want $20 for it" and the the buyer purchased if for that amount, that goes back to what I've been saying over and over - it's a seller's responsibility to do their own homework to know what they're selling and the value. There is nothing to "correct."

Now a question for you. If you do believe the buyer has an obligation to go back and "correct" the earlier transaction, how far back should the correction go? Should that person go back and correct the person he purchased it from and so on and so on? How far back do we go to make it right in your book?
I wouldn't go farther back than 1909, but at some point you are going to encounter a dead seller. Then do we have to bring his heirs into the discussion. This could get very complicated.

"Reductio ad absurdum" I maintain is a valid argument.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM

For members who think a seller is reasonable in saying they made a mistake and the listing was incorrect only after an item has sold, I have a question for you.

If you sold something to me and then I get buyers remorse and come saying I didn't mean to bid that amount so I'm not paying, how do you feel about that? Do you think I should pay what I bid?

Another scenario. You're a seller. You sell me a card. I find out the next day that the same card sold for less money. Now I want you to reduce my winning bid because the card sold for less. Am I being reasonable?

Last edited by packs; 05-22-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I wouldn't go farther back than 1909, but at some point you are going to encounter a dead seller. Then do we have to bring his heirs into the discussion. This could get very complicated.

"Reductio ad absurdum" I maintain is a valid argument.
I've tried that with a few good deals I got, going both backward and forward. It's an interesting exercise. The result is generally that everyone made money commensurate with the role they had in moving the product. I once bought a very valuable item for $100 after haggling with the seller for a while. He was happy, and even told me he made a small profit. I later found out the item was very valuable - do I go back and give the seller a cut? Does he go back and give the guy at the flea market a cut? Does the guy at the flea market go back and give the little old lady a cut? Here's the kicker - the guy I sold it to made more than anyone. Does he give ME a cut? bwahahaha
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:

You're right, this guy obviously had it coming. Serves him right.

Hopefully you never experience any oversight or lapse in judgment, because apparently no one deserves a free pass.

Last edited by jhs5120; 05-21-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
You're right, this guy obviously had it coming. Serves him right.

Hopefully you never experience any oversight or lapse in judgment, because apparently no one deserves a free pass.
I was never implying anyone had anything coming...or "deserves" to be punished.

In life we all make mistakes...and these mistakes usually provide invaluable learning experiences.

If we all were granted "free passes" when we made mistakes...the world would be a worse place.

That's fine...I'm done with this discussion...maybe I'm wrong...this is just my take on this situation.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
If we all were granted "free passes" when we made mistakes...the world would be a worse place.
No one is implying every mistake deserves a free pass, but when a small business owner forgets the value of an obscure t206 back, he certainly doesn't "deserve" (as you put it) to have someone take advantage of him.

It's just like the 100's of reprints on ebay. Just because the buyer doesn't know the difference between an authentic and reprinted t206 doesn't mean he deserves to be taken advantage of.

I agree, the world would be a worse place if everyone was given a free pass for each mistake they make, but it would be a far worse world if no one received a free pass ever.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM
pete ullman

biting my tongue...it really hurts!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Bought a card on ebay a few years back, seller listed it with a "Buy it now" that was very low, and after some thought on my part realized it was clearly a mistake by the seller. After the seller contacted me about the item, I happily cancelled the transaction. He was able to re-list the item and sold it at auction at a more appropriate price for him.

No harm , no foul.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Please see ebay's T&C. I guess if you could prove damages, you absolutely in fact have a legal binding contract. Just because "it's Ebay" and "it happens all the time" doesnt hold water. Now proving it is a different subject

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
J@son M1ller

I'm with you, Pete. Everyone has taken a hit now and again. That's how we learn.

We can still all join hands and sing though, if you want.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Ryan comparison

I remember the Ryan Rookie card sale very. The Ryan rookie was marked for $800 but the inexperienced clerk misread the price as $8.00.

What I would like to know here is if the Lenox seller paid market price for the card or if the card was purchased as part of a lot as a common card. If the seller purchased the card as a common do they feel obligated to track down the original seller and correct the previous transaction? If they do not intend on correcting the original transaction they have very little justification for canceling this transaction.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Go for it!

You know you want to ...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Dan Bretta

My brother and I both use the same ebay ID...we own an antique shop together...I was at home listing postcards with a BIN of $9.99...he was at the shop and unbeknownst to me he started listing some items...he did not realize that the ebay auction software was set to Buy It Now instead of auction and he listed a Major Matt Mason playset that normally sells for $200-$300...someone hit the BIN within minutes of his listing it...we quickly notified the buyer that it was a mistake and tried to cancel the transaction...he refused. We just relisted it correctly as an auction and the guy left us a negative.

I don't think we had any moral obligation to complete the transaction...it was a mistake, they happen.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Lenox card

On the Lenox card in question, the buyer is a member of these boards and is reading this thread with great interest. In this case I know for a fact that the seller has not reached out to the buyer to request canceling the sale and I know for a fact that while eBay lists the card as "shipped", the USPS has no tracking information available. There is no evidence that the card has in fact left Houston.