NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default How Does Trimming Effect Value?

Posted By: Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-GOUDEY-92-LOU-GEHRIG-SGC-AUTHENTIC-SHARP_W0QQitemZ200153892202QQihZ010QQcategoryZ8684 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller asking $2200 for a trimmed Goudey Gehrig. I always assumed trimmed cards should be valued about what cards in poor/fair are. Otherwise, if it depends on the rest of the card outside of the trimming, why doesn't the grading agency grady it a "Trimmed NM" or a "Trimmed VG" to differentiate the two.

Thoughts?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

The reason is the card is no longer in its original condition - with trimmed cards it means the size has been altered - we are lucky the grading companies are using the "Authentic" grade or cards would sell for a lot less and there would not be as much interest. I still would estimate the card at Poor/fair condition and the card should be going for half the price they are asking. This may change in the future as prices for "Authentic" grades become more available and there is continuing interest.

Jimmy

Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Trimmed cards which don't have an appreciable or drastic trimming, vary in prices depending on the issue. I recently bought an E94 which sold for about the price of a "Good" card. It was EXish without the trim which was very, very slight.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

You can't call something "Trimmed NM" because the card could have been well handled on the edges with rounded corners, a typical VG. Slice the edges off to get nice corners.

Then it's called a PSA 8 T206 Wagner.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Technically, an altered card (trimming, recoloring, etc) grades Poor.
There are cases, especially with rares cards, where the card will
be valued higher than that. If the card is plentiful, trimming
will usually keep the value way down low.

I'd hesitate at getting giddy over an altered card because "it
has Mint appearance" as the alteration may be the reason it has
that appearance.

From my personal experience selling, 1933 Goudey Ruths and Gehrigs
in non-altered Poor condition sell for much higher than Poor book
value as they are in such high demand in all grades. I've sold
raw grade Poor Minus Goudey Ruths that looked like Yogi Berra's
catchers mitts for about GdVg value. So I'm sure this AUTH grade
is valued at much more than its technical grade
of Poor might suggest.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I know I am in the minority but I will still take an EXMT looking slabbed "authentic" card (which may or may not have been very lightly trimmed on one edge) over a beater when it comes to prewar cards.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Bob,

I agree with you. I like graded "authentic" cards because:

1) I can trust they're real;

2) they're affordable;

3) and they present well ...

I've always believed that one day altered cards would find an accepted place in the hobby, much like altered items have gained acceptance in other genres of collectibles.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

In this case he is saying the case measures right but SGC is saying it is trimmed. I think it depends on if it was trimmed on one edge or more and how severe the damage is. I have 1 trimmed card because it was affordable, a tough issue and would likely otherwise not be in my collection. I have flat out refused trimmed cards in the past but I look at them on a case by case basis. For the Goudy, well if it wasn't trimmed it would be A LOT more expensive so if I thought only one edge was slightly trimmed I might find this card acceptable.

It is really hard to say but generally I would say a VG type card with a slight trim to one side will sell for what a fair to good card would go for.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I agree with you Bob. I have been saving all my SGC "A's