NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Question for "pre-selling" an item here on the board?

Posted By: Dave F

Lets say you have a raw card. For my experience I'll say I have a T206 Walter Johnson portrait that is raw. It is in VG-EX condition. You have been contacted by a member on the board with a interest to buy the card...based on you sending the card to grading company "A". Had you not been contacted, you would have sent the card to grading company "B"....based on the fact that company "B" would more than likely provide the best results for selling the card sometime down the line. My question is, do you go ahead and send the card to grading company "A", and take a chance if the buyer doesn't like the grade or the outcome and backs out you than have a card in a holder you originally wouldn't have wanted?

By the way...for the purpose of this, the "buyer" and I have both spoken about it and he agreed to watch this thread run it's course and we will both go with the general consensus of the board.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Agree to a price for the card if it comes back SGC 40 (assuming he will accept a 40)

Agree to a price for the card if it comes back SGC 50 (this is the grade you estimate it will be)

Have the buyer commit to buy at the pre-set price(s)

If it comes back a 30 and you are so sure it is higher crack it out an submit to PSA

If it comes back an SGC 60

Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

PERSONALLY...being that the member contacted you, I'd sell the card raw and let him roll his own dice. What if the card is returned (as often happens when u least expect it!) as trimmed/altered, chances are your sale disappears anyway..or what if it grades a tad higher or lower than you guessed, will you re-negotiate it?
If you want it slabbed, go with your company. Then you have the slab you're most happy with. Think we've all seen "sure thing" sales fall thru...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Well...an offer has been made, but it is based on the card being graded...he did make an offer for the card raw..which I won't do. He has said he wants the card to come back the equivalent of a PSA 3 or SGC 40 (I said both to somewhat try to keep private which company). If it doesn't come back as such...then i guess I'm out the money sending the card off the first time, and then having to resend it off a second time to the company of my choice.

Had he not made what I feel is a healthy offer for a card graded with his company of choice to start with, I would have politely declined to start...but...I'm human...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Nevermind. Misread last post

Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

If he insists on "A" and you're a "B" guy, and assuming as u say that you're happy with the price, I'd think he'd offer to front the grading fee and shipping/insuring charges. Again, personally, think I'd have a fall-out agreement should the card not grade to the figure you're basing the price on. How hard can it be to move a WJ Portrait (if that is indeed the card we're talking) in the 3-4 range, regardless of a PSA or SGC grade?! Just my opinion, but if it were my card...I'd send it to my grader. Would think if he wants the card badly enough, he'd agree. Being it's your card, you should direct the terms of the sale, the buyer shouldn't!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Send huge scans....guarantee it will grade numerically, but not the specific grade, and sell it raw.....give 90 days to get it graded....that's long enough but not too long.....That's just the way I do it...good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Have it graded and sell it to the first person that offers you the most money for it. Or sell it raw to the first person that wants to buy it raw.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Well...got a couple differant emails due to this.

I've decided to send card to get graded and then "John Doe" will have first dibs.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

As to whom you're sending it, your grader or his??

Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

My grader...not that you can probably do too much wrong either way. If the card grades what we both probably expect I told him I'd discount the price so that he could send it over to his grader if he desires...and if it doesn't go through than I'll at least feel a little better about selling the card in the holder it will be in when the time comes.

I will say it is amazing some of the folks that are on this board lurking and hardly ever post...if more of them contributed it could be quite educational around here....but, I guess they would just as soon lurk so loudmouth's like myself have to keep spewing out dribble daily.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Think a smart move to go with your grader! And would be willing to bet that if it grades as you think, you won't need to discount your price for him to re-grade. Good luck...