NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Is low grade unaltered the new king ?

After all the recent happenings what is the new safe bet? Not all low grade is unaltered but I would say most is. If this end up being the worst case scenario where de we end up?

Back to all high grade must be a scam?

Low grade is not worth the cardboard it’s printed on ? Which doesn’t make sense anymore .

As a collector of all eras and mostly owning low to mid grade in my vintage collection. Just wondering how this cookie crumbles as I presume most are.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

There very well could be a new emphasis on lower end cards that show honest wear and tear. I have always enjoyed those types of cards.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

IMO the new king will be cards with provenance that date it to a period before cards had such value to make restoration profitable.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
IMO the new king will be cards with provenance that date it to a period before cards had such value to make restoration profitable.
And cards bought from PWCC have that provenance. While one isn't required to say where one bought a card, and most don't, a question is if it's ethical to sell a card and not disclose that it came from PWCC.

I do feel bad for the collectors, but must admit I'd smile if the PSA Registry is destroyed. I've had problems that thing for years, and have seen (and pointed out) a plethora of problems, including logical/mathenatical, with its ranking system. The ranking system was bad before the PWCC revelations came out. Not to suggest that many collectors themselves don't use it for honest collecting purposes or that there's anything wrong with having a place for collectors to register and show off their collections.

Last edited by drcy; 06-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
That would be the ideal for well educated, high-end collectors. But that scenario assumes that law enforcement is able to come down on the "criminals" and on PSA. That scenario can't happen unless a majority of collectors become aware of the magnitude of this fraud. Currently (and unfortunately), we are a comparatively small group.

The current mentality is the polar opposite of this, and does not take provenance into account whatsoever. The flip is all that matters to the masses.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:35 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
And cards bought from PWCC have that provenance.
That's a fair point, which makes provenance unfortunately less reliable unless purchased directly from the original owner and that person was known to you to be of such character as to not alter cards.

Where the provenance still would retain value to me as a 19th century collector pertains not so much as to the issue of alteration but to the issue of authenticity. If a rare card popped up out of nowhere and proof of its existence goes back only to a period when such a card already had a great value, I would be very nervous having confidence the card was real, at least not before undertaking some serious forensic analysis (that goes well beyond what any current TPG could provide).

Last edited by benjulmag; 06-03-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:36 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The new king will be absolute rarity. It won't matter too much if a card is altered if there are only three total known.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
The new king will be absolute rarity. It won't matter too much if a card is altered if there are only three total known.
This.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And of course I will have sold too soon as usual.

And I think the new king could also be, as Corey mentioned, provenance. Such as would be the case of cards in packs and other identifying information. If I recall when these were sent to me they were all (20) in this pack. They all measured exactly the same too. It was like buttah, I tell ya'.

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw575group1.jpg (73.3 KB, 566 views)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Agree. The rarity of being the highest graded 1991 Donruss will no longer retain quite the same appeal
Old 06-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Mac Wubben

I hope this is the future...my years of buying the lowest grade cards I could find will finally pay off. I have always thought 100 year old cards should look like 100 year old cards. I also hope scarcity becomes more relevant than relative scarcity...I had the only know copy of a card...and kept getting low offers because of condition... it's one of one...why would condition matter? With all the bs going on I have never felt better collecting beaters and ignoring higher grades and autos.

Mac
Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM
∆|@π ¢h3π

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I hope this is the future...my years of buying the lowest grade cards I could find will finally pay off. I have always thought 100 year old cards should look like 100 year old cards. I also hope scarcity becomes more relevant than relative scarcity...I had the only know copy of a card...and kept getting low offers because of condition... it's one of one...why would condition matter? With all the bs going on I have never felt better collecting beaters and ignoring higher grades and autos.

Mac
Moser’s forefathers had 80 years to doctor those T206s, before Moser even got his shot in the limelight. Don’t forget that upsetting truth. If PSA can’t tell you a card was doctored a few months ago, I don’t know how much confidence there should be that they could tell you it was doctored a few epochs ago.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post

Mac
Well said and agreed
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
After all the recent happenings what is the new safe bet? Not all low grade is unaltered but I would say most is. If this end up being the worst case scenario where de we end up?

My 1960s complete sets hope so.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is nothing wrong with low grade. I will upgrade this if I ever see another!!

Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

It looks like Mickey could catch those low outside sliders and brushback fastballs with his ears. No wonder he’s in the Hall.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Is low grade unaltered the new king ?

For me, the “new king” will just be the original king - and that surrounds the fact that I like baseball and baseball history first and foremost, and other things are secondary. In comparison to many here, I have a fairly modest collection that is made up of big names in mid-grade from the postwar era, and relatively scant items prewar. But I too at times have gotten suckered into the grading minutiae, spending a lot of time deliberating whether this card for sale in a PSA 6 was really nicer than another one in a PSA 5, etc. etc. The details of the hobby for me at times have taken over for my pure love of the game and appreciation for the history and that sense of nostalgia. So if this all plays out badly, it will be a good wake-up call for me at least to think in those terms. At the end of the day, if this situation gets worse before getting better I can live with the idea of appreciating old cards for their authenticity first and foremost - even if it comes out that a much larger percentage than were know before were truly altered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 AM

I sure as hell hope so. Nothing altered on this beauty:

Old 06-05-2019, 09:13 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Maybe someday good old fashioned collecting, and appreciating cards for cards, will be king.

Absolutely nothing against the set (I like and collected '70s Topps) and people can do whatever they want, but way back when when I heard someone say he was going to collect the 1977 Topps entirely graded (including every common), I thought that was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard of.

Though I also remember years back when someone used the term "Gem Mint" and I thought he was making a joke.

Last edited by drcy; 06-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Bill Potter

I am an oddball in the hobby because I dislike old cards that are pristine. I want them to have signs of wear and signs of having survived for decades or a century. I am the same way with the comic books that I collect . if I buy a golden age comic I want it to look like some kid enjoyed it rather than someone put it up in a safe as an investment

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 06-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

That green Cobb is amazing. Great find.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

That Mickey Cochrane is an example of what this hobby is all about. Love it!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:56 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Absolutely nothing against the set (I like and collected '70s Topps) and people can do whatever they want, but way back when when I heard someone say he was going to collect the 1977 Topps entirely graded (including every common), I thought that was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard of.
Can't disagree with you here. '77 is my birth year set, and once just on a whim, I bought a mostly complete NM set on eBay, figuring it would just be nice to have. It arrived, and I laboriously put each card into pages and put the whole thing into an album. A week or so later, I realized I couldn't care less about it. I thought the stars were cool enough, but why did I buy all these commons? Long story short, I turned around and sold the set again on eBay. I guess I've always been more of a "few nice stars in individual cases" collector than a have-to-have-the-entire-set type of guy...

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-05-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM

I think this is definitely a possibility! Time will tell if low grade cards will take a hit, but it is possible, many will go after those more when the dust settles.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Another unaltered authentic beauty. Save your 8 and 9's this "10" is real:

Old 06-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Great cards guys. This is the good stuff all puns intended
Old 06-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Brian K

Default I've been saying this for years!

Give me the well worn cards, they have the character, they have LIVED!! Long live the Pr-Fr!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
this has mostly been my mantra...rarity trumps condition. But of course, I've gotten suckered into the "condition matters" for some of my post-war collecting interests.

I'm hoping this is the trend, but I think, for the most part, everyone is going to take a hit due to this scandal, even the low-grade collectors. The good will get tossed in with the bad and the low-condition cards will take a hit. I do think the ridiculous spread between a graded 6 and 10 will likely narrow considerably!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
this has mostly been my mantra...rarity trumps condition. But of course, I've gotten suckered into the "condition matters" for some of my post-war collecting interests.

I'm hoping this is the trend, but I think, for the most part, everyone is going to take a hit due to this scandal, even the low-grade collectors. The good will get tossed in with the bad and the low-condition cards will take a hit. I do think the ridiculous spread between a graded 6 and 10 will likely narrow considerably!
Low grade cards are not exempt from the tampering, unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
A substantial amount of cards I own have been tampered with...by some kid in the first few decades of the 1900's. Of course they thought, silly little boys and the occasional girl, that they were improving the original with their juvenile scribbles and scissoring.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Just like my women

You can keep your trimmed, altered and restored 10's. I'll take a real battle scarred 2 any day.

Last edited by conor912; 06-06-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Another unaltered authentic beauty. Save your 8 and 9's this "10" is real:

delete

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-07-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
good point! But I think the "game" is much more impactful to the higher end of the grading scale based on my observations of what one pays for a "6" vs. a "9" or "10".

Interestingly, if/when PSA pays out for any of these altered cards, you'll notice that PSA A's of some cards sell for prices akin to those in the PSA 5/6 range due to their perceived sharpness and superior condition compared to those with creases and punch-holes. I wonder if they'll point to those sales to figure out the amount owed (the price differential) due to their "guarantee".

Also, I wonder if PSA will just credit people's accounts for the amounts owed instead of paying in cash to limit the up-front damage. I'm regretting my decision years ago to do just that when I was given a larger amount of PSA "store credit" vs. taking the refund in cash when I had a counterfeit card that had been encapsulated by PSA and they took it back upon review. I still haven't used those funds. Yikes!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
good point! But I think the "game" is much more impactful to the higher end of the grading scale based on my observations of what one pays for a "6" vs. a "9" or "10".

Interestingly, if/when PSA pays out for any of these altered cards, you'll notice that PSA A's of some cards sell for prices akin to those in the PSA 5/6 range due to their perceived sharpness and superior condition compared to those with creases and punch-holes. I wonder if they'll point to those sales to figure out the amount owed (the price differential) due to their "guarantee".

Also, I wonder if PSA will just credit people's accounts for the amounts owed instead of paying in cash to limit the up-front damage. I'm regretting my decision years ago to do just that when I was given a larger amount of PSA "store credit" vs. taking the refund in cash when I had a counterfeit card that had been encapsulated by PSA and they took it back upon review. I still haven't used those funds. Yikes!
I wouldn't count on PSA or PWCC paying out anything.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What??? It also looks like it's been in someone's bicycle spokes (no offense) Am I missing something? I can't believe this thread....Just because there are a couple of corrupt dealers out there, we now just disregard high grades? Wow....We are taking this PWCC thing way beyond the spectrum....
I have always disregarded high grades...didn't need a scandal to push me toward lower condition. And there are plenty others out there like me, who, for various reasons collect in a similiar fashion (for me it was a matter of economics, but also just plain not wanting something as old as a vintage PreWW2 card looking like it just came out of pack).

Ideally in my mind one of the better outcomes of this whole mess would be that the focus would, at least in our vintage neck of the baseball card world, shift at least a little away from the investment aspect, the registry chasing, the 'buy the label, not the card' mentality toward something more balanced and collector friendly. There will and should always be a place for folks looking for the best, but I would love to see more energy in the hobby focused upon the love of collecting, the sport of baseball, and its wonderful history captured on cardboard.

Brian
Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What??? It also looks like it's been in someone's bicycle spokes (no offense) Having said that, very nice green Cobb for the grade... Am I missing something? I can't believe this thread....Just because there are a couple of corrupt dealers out there, we now just disregard high grades as being tampered with? Wow....We are taking this PWCC thing way beyond the spectrum....
I think you mean it looks like a low grade unaltered card. If you want trimmed or miscut cards over unaltered cards to each their own. My Mickey is as centered as it gets and it didn't take scissors to get there. No tampering here either:

Last edited by packs; 06-07-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
You can keep your trimmed, altered and restored 10's. I'll take a real battle scarred 2 any day.
Real battle scarred 2 - I love it!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default True

Quote:
True, but PSA and Beckett have both proven many times over that they are not able to correctly identify rare cards.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Only if people want the card. Plenty of rare cards/issues that don't sell as
well as mainstream issues and players. That won't change.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default new king

I agree with the sentiment of collecting for historical and for the shear pleasure. I'm not against making a buck, but maybe the pendulum can swing back to purists and not over priced greed.

The story of where a card has been is as important, if not greater, than its dollar value to me.

Ironically, these third party sellers and graders have marred exactly what they set out to prevent.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I've long known (and opined at Net54) that many high grade cards in holders are altered and that it was foolish to spend long-term big money on them.

But I've never had an interest in that area, and am like many on Net54 who appreciate some honest signs of old age to a card.

I remember I had a 1933 Goudey Gehringer that was in such bad shape that I called it "The Devil's beer coaster."

Last edited by drcy; 06-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.