NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Never had my life destroyed. Have had my eBay account screwed with, got my share of racist, homophobic, profanity filled PMs/emails. I also know a scum bag sellers lawyer. That was just from fellow forum members.

I still like the name rule even if it has been used by the scum to intimidate the good guy(s) calling them out.
I am sorry to hear about those PMs and emails. There is no excuse at all for that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Yes. The Brucii. I will say no more because I have previously made my feelings about him well known. I also agree that you need to take personal responsibility for your posts if you are posting on a controversial topic or being negative. IMO, that is only fair. If you don't want to play, don't post. Pretty simple.
They were a strange, complex man. I never personally experienced his venom -- quite to the contrary actually -- but what I saw was quite horrible.

And yet again I agree with Kenny, people should own their posts. It's baseball cards, not some whistleblower forum where one needs cover.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-07-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
They were a strange, complex man. I never personally experienced his venom -- quite to the contrary actually -- but what I saw was quite horrible.

And yet again I agree with Kenny, people should own their posts. It's baseball cards, not some whistleblower forum where one needs cover.
I did. And others did too. As I understand it, there was some degree of dichotomy there because he wasn't that way in person. At least that's what Barry said at the time. Don't know, don't care. The stuff he said about what he hoped would happen to my wife and family still makes me furious. I will not post about what I said about him at the time because I already did that then and it doesn't matter now, but I will say that I was not sorry, nor was I regretful, when he passed. That is the understatement of the year and that's too bad. I wish I could feel otherwise but I don't.

On another note,, this situation with Peter agreeing with me MORE THAN ONCE lately is really causing me some concern. In 20 years we probably haven't agreed more than 5 times and now this all of a sudden? I may need to reevaluate my thoughts.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I did. And others did too. As I understand it, there was some degree of dichotomy there because he wasn't that way in person. At least that's what Barry said at the time. Don't know, don't care. The stuff he said about what he hoped would happen to my wife and family still makes me furious. I will not post about what I said about him at the time because I already did that then and it doesn't matter now, but I will say that I was not sorry, nor was I regretful, when he passed. That is the understatement of the year and that's too bad. I wish I could feel otherwise but I don't.

On another note,, this situation with Peter agreeing with me MORE THAN ONCE lately is really causing me some concern. In 20 years we probably haven't agreed more than 5 times and now this all of a sudden? I may need to reevaluate my thoughts.
It's quite disturbing to me as well.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Do you understand what you can do to someone having just their name.
Apparently not. But my name is already on the web I'm sure so I'm not too worried about it being on a baseball card forum too. Oh well.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
That's funny. I'm on almost every trading card forum there is and I don't post any differently here than I do in all the ones with anonymity. This has gotten way off topic though. Which is what Leon intended, I'm sure, since there was a little heat on him in this thread. It's a tactic I've seen him use many times. Derailment. And for the record, I don't have any personal issues with Leon. He seems like a good guy just trying to get by in this crazy world. I just find him a little... inconsistent, sometimes.
The bicycle board/list I'm on requires full name, and location on every post.

On the stamp one, I can't think of anyone I see regularly who isn't using their own name. Most of them are well known dealers, authors and collectors.

I haven't really found other sportscard lists to be all that interesting, although Blowout seems pretty good most f the traffic there is in the "look at my grades" or "who knew Score issued cards in 92?!" sort of category.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Whether or not you remain anonymous on a chat board is a double edged sword. In some places, if you post an opinion on something controversial, such as politics or gun control, you are very likely to receive death threats from someone who disagrees with you. And this of course can be very upsetting. On the other hand, if you are allowed to post anonymously, you can pretty much say any crazy thing you want, with no consequences. If you have to put your identity out there, you are more likely to post in an intelligent matter. We tend to be more reasoned and careful with what we say with our names out in the open.

You won't get any death threats on Net54, although we did have one poster who used to wish people a painful death when they challenged him, so that was an exception. He has since passed away. I prefer having my name posted, and don't like when others are anonymous. I've had my share of arguments on the board, but I won't respond to any attacks if that person is anonymous.

Leon's rule is if you offer an opinion on a person or business that is negative, you need to have your name out. I agree with that completely, but I know not everyone else does.
And, to be totally honest, when I joined, I'd read some oldcardboard emails for a couple years. Finally decided to check out the board, and was happy to see a few names I remembered from years ago. (I'm pretty low key in real life until I know people, and only used to get to a couple shows a year. )

Barry was one of the ones I recognized, and I figured if he was here the place might just be ok.
(Full disclosure, I never bought anything from Barry, just read the ads and wanted pretty much every card in them... )

If everyone was anonymous, I might never have joined.

Now don't go giving Barry a hard time over that!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

I haven't really found other sportscard lists to be all that interesting, although Blowout seems pretty good most f the traffic there is in the "look at my grades" or "who knew Score issued cards in 92?!" sort of category.
And uncovering the biggest and most wide-ranging scandal perhaps in the history of the hobby.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

My Ronald Acuna Jr. Collection

Old 06-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

$10 Parking Fee is Worse Than Anal Cancer
Old 06-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
$10 Parking Fee is Worse Than Anal Cancer
Yeah, you don’t want me to go there.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey guys, how about a little more of this

and less of this?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
And uncovering the biggest and most wide-ranging scandal perhaps in the history of the hobby.
That's what's changing my mind.
The bulk of it seems like just so much fluff, but the good bits are amazing.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's quite disturbing to me as well.
Awww Kenny and Peter, I'm getting all misty eyed. This gives me hope!