NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Default What do you bring to the board?

This forum is the best in its class. Thanks to its moderators and board members (most of them) it is second to none.

And as such, as members, each of us has a responsibility to bring positive value to this board. Whether it is grizzled knowledge, wisdom, or insightful curiosity, I think members should take it upon themselves to assist in keeping this board best in class.

What do you do to make this board a better place? Do you feel that you are a positive influence on this board?---One final question, do you believe that your colleagues feel that you are a positive influence on this site?

Last edited by drdduet; 05-04-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: . to ?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default just want to say

I just want to say "thanks". This is a great question. (and thanks for the kind words too)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Jeff Lichtman and I always bring at least 2 covered dishes to the Holiday party and we take turns driving Barry Sloate home when he's had too much Manischewitz. (He can be a real violent drunk by the way just FYI.)

All joking aside not sure I bring anything to the forum but I do get entertainment out of it. I've also made a few friends along the way which is a nice added bonus...as to if people like me my guess is no.

But I'm Scot/Irish we hate everyone so it's ok.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Barry Sloate

When I'm not wasting everybody's time with Seinfeld trivia, I like to think I bring knowledge in the areas I feel I know something, as well as a steady voice when the board veers out of control.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Barry Sloate

John and I were typing at the same time. John not only brings knowledge to the board, but also a terrific sense of humor and some crackerjack skills with photoshop.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Barry also has a great sense of humor and makes me spell check as much as I can.

Leon brings a good fair sense of balance which is nice. And also bums me out each time he shows that freaking amzing Matty proof.

As for card knowledge I think everyone here has a good grasp, there are some who really stand out with certain card issues...the most humble folks here tend to have the big guns when it comes to knowledge IMO.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 05-04-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Barry Sloate

This is a very good question, because while most people give a lot of their time and knowledge to the board, quite a few don't, and tend to be a disruption. As I've said on a few occasions, a chatboard is not the right venue for everyone.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Clayton

Default A great topic!!

I guess what I try to bring to the board is participation(as you can see by how many posts I've made in a fairly short amount of time!!).

I know I'm not the most knowledgable collector,but I am always trying to learn.I feel it is healthy to debate and discuss issues where there are different theories,and look at it sort of like "class",where the student (me) asks questions of and presents theories to the teachers (TedZ,drdduet,JimB,JimR,and many others).

I would love to see more "lurkers" become active participants,I am sure there are more people who read the board,but don't want to post out of fear of being ridiculed or shunned-I could be wrong about that (and hope I am).

I do not belong to any other forum,and have no desire to,for I think this is a unique place and really appreciate this board and everyone on it.

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Bob.T*th

Default Not much

My limited knowledge is surpassed by most everyone. I mostly lurk and learn. On the plus side, as far as I know, I have not alienated anyone and have thus far resisted the urge to post my Harry Colon football card in the favorite card thread.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Clayton- nobody who asks a reasonable question about vintage baseball cards ever gets ridiculed. The people who do are usually the ones who don't listen, don't really ask questions, and get into fights with various board members over silly things. Those guys get it, and good.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Clayton

You're right Barry,now that I think about it,I do not recall a new person being ridiculed for asking a question.I guess that was just me trying to think of a reason why someone would choose to lurk rather than get involved in the forum and participate.

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
MikeHealer

Good question Dr D. It made me think, and although I am not a
big asset to the board I do enjoy learning about different aspects of
the hobby. I have also made some new friends that I would not
have had it not been fo net54, and for that I say thanks to all.
I hope to finally meet many of you in person at the national this year.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
D.B. Cooper

I picked up Barry and drove him to the board this morning, so I feel like I've done my part for the day.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Anthony...and the morning commute from San Francisco to Brooklyn can be brutal!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I think I bring a desire to learn more about the cards and players we love so much. I may have been collecting for 30+ years, but I really know very little, compared to many people here.

Where I think I can contribute some knowledge, I try to do that. Mostly, I just sit back, read and absorb the information.

Steve
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

I'm punctual, willing to work weekends and can sub when needed on the Net54 softball team.

Oh, and I'm a people person.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Dan Bretta

Most here are probably too modest or humble to write anything about themselves. I'd suggest we say what we like about others and what they bring to the board.

Where else on the internet can you go and get solid information about vintage baseball cards and memorabilia? There are so many experts on this board in nearly every area of our hobby that I don't think many questions go unanswered. I've asked relevant questions on the Baseball Fever board, SABR forum and a few other boards that never get answers....that rarely happens here.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Barry Sloate

Rob- something tells me that if we were choosing sides for the Net54 softball team, you would be the first one picked.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Jason

Default I'm the moral compass

but I just wish everyone would stop making jokes about the size of my needle.

In all honesty, though, I wish I contributed more to this Board, and I do when I can, but the vast experience and financial resources of many collectors here eclipse me significantly. So, I think most people just enjoy the fact that I am not a "we!"

Edited to add: My contributions are often borderline disturbing, such as this question I asked myself earlier this morning, and I will pose it here as sidebar fodder: Do you think that the reason I continually receive far too many raisins in my purchased bags of trail mix is a reflection of the ongoing supply glut in the wine industry?

Last edited by JasonL; 05-04-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: one last thought for now
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
David McDonald

Default What do you bring to the board?

Devilish good looks and charm.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Rob- something tells me that if we were choosing sides for the Net54 softball team, you would be the first one picked.

Maybe. If we play with a DH.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Jim D

I bring good looks , charm, and lame jokes.... plus alot of knowledge on UFC cards that no one else on here collects.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Ed McCollum

Default I bring

single-minded obsessiveness.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Bill K@sel

I usually just take information rather than give it, but today I give....in the form of this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7d1...ria?rel=player

Caution that there is some strong language, but a VERY funny baseball bit.

Bill
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Dan Bretta

Separated at birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Devilish good looks and charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101409pod2.jpg (15.8 KB, 379 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM

I sit in the "lurk and learn" section for the most part. My little area of collecting is well discussed here. The Board is the only place that a bunch of us get to share, see, and hear about cards at all.

I have been able to add a couple cards to the Super Set checklist over the past couple years, and have learned a good bit!

I think I add some value to the BST T section. My prices are reasonable, I beg for cards from time to time that I know are out there, but can't seem to find. I will also sell anything that isn't nailed down once I get rolling. I'm pretty sure I've sold extra stuff to people that they did not intend on buying or need a card in any way once they already bought one. I have also had folks buy just by clicking on the scan and going to my photobucket and asking about something they need more than I do, so I think I have helped at least as many folks with needs as have helped me. It feels good knowing I have put some stuff into some happy collections.

Thanks,
Bob
NEED: AB 350 and SC 350,25 Eddie Collins any and all conditions
Cash, trade, barter with chefing services, Marriott points or Delta Miles
Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
S Gross

Bad spelling, some boxing, but, basically:

"Nothin'........ nothin' but nothin'." --- Crazy Gugenheim

Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Page hits. Lots and lots of page hits. Im a bit OCD so I'll sit here and refresh the same thing over and over throughout the day. Doesnt really matter if anything has been added or not.

Im here to absorb and to learn. Im not shy about stating my opinion and I have a tendency to get chatty when Im bored, but Im not adding to the collective knowledge base. My vintage knowledge is surpassed by pretty much everyone here. I know a skeleton or two's worth of specific modern card company practices, but they arent of interest here and I keep it to myself on other boards because I always get yelled down for saying what everyone already knows.

Oh, and I bought a few very small items of BST, so in a sense, I bring you all $$$$. Dont spend it all in one place.

Last edited by Section103; 05-04-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I personally like to think that I am able to impart some research and knowledge to the board in general, but mostly I feel like I am talking to myself, after all I don't collect T206's. The thing I find most rewarding is actually helping out those that have questions or seeing a question and then while researching it using it as a jumping off point to learn new things myself...this happens all the time.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM

insight from the retirement community

Last edited by Cat; 05-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Rich Rockwood

Wish I could bring more to the board but I need about 20 more years collecting to start approaching some of the board members
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Liberal use of grinnies.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

snappy one liners and comebacks ! Oh yeah, and over 25 years of tobacco card and prewar memorabilia collecting experince.I've also worked with historical document and photo preservationists. My brother and I have also been members of Ebay since it's beginning. He actually worked with their safe harbor program and the FBI back in the late 90's to help bust fraudulent autograph sellers.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

I try to keep the idiots in check. Otherwise, nothing.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Brian Horne

I will join the "not much" category. I check the site almost daily and read quite a bit. I don't have the knowledge to add anything at this point. I hope to become more involved in the future but for now I will just be the leach that suck information from each of you. Thanks for the knowledge but most of all the laughs.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Separated at birth?
Both are liberal pussies with a Merkle thing going. Ever seen KO and DMcD in the same room together? Didn't think so. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Both are liberal pussies with a Merkle thing going. Ever seen KO and DMcD in the same room together? Didn't think so. Coincidence? I think not.
AHA! I knew Olbermann posted to this chatroom.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Me, in a nutshell

I can occasionally be counted on for non-T206 input, somewhat akin to Rhett, but a minor-league version of him. And I pretty much limit myself to being helpful and informative, and let the masses duke it out amongst themselves. And I offer a lower condition collector perspective...and feel I let the mediocre have their voice (because they are a rather meek bunch prone to be eaten by the sharks). And sometimes my version of humor.

Brian
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
AHA! I knew Olbermann posted to this chatroom.

Actually, he does. Just not very often.

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=4156
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Tim

I bring a desire to learn as much as I can and help when I can. Maybe if I'm lucky one day I'll "reinvent the wheel."
Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
John Wondowski

I am the official NET54 thread killer.

Seriously, I occasionally help with some obscure sports fact or identification.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I contribute almost nothing to this board but at least I don't make it worse with this kind of trash. The good information on this site is often negated by having to read this sort of thing. Very unpleasant.

Last edited by celoknob; 05-04-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
D.B. Cooper

Celoknob,

David was referring to himself and being self-deprecating.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

As for me, I have absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Just ask my wife.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM

What I try and bring to the board are creativity, enthusiasm, and most of all, passion.

Best, Jimmy
Old 05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Seth

I got nothing. But I almost have 100 posts!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Actually, he does. Just not very often.

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=4156
Hmmm...interesting. Looking at the few times he posted it was all during a time when my wife started having difficulties in her pregnancy...I was posting a bit during that time, but not reading hardly anything.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by celoknob View Post
I contribute almost nothing to this board but at least I don't make it worse with this kind of trash. The good information on this site is often negated by having to read this sort of thing. Very unpleasant.
Celo, he was referring to himself in a joking manner.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Separated at birth?
He's aged well over the years:

Old 05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Dan Bretta

HA! That's so close that David should use that as his avatar.