NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default Hey Jim D.

I used something similar to flexispy to catch my ex cheating on me. worked like a charm I must say
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
all Chicago was doing was making people aware of a potential problem and security issue. He shouldn't be given a hard time for that regardless of how you feel about him or what else he has done. He meant no harm, just provided information.
I disagree. A, he has a history. But B, the world is FILLED with useful information about life -- none of which should be posted on here unless it has a direct relationship to card collecting. What's next, a study on how glass windows can be broken so people can enter homes to steal baseball cards?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I disagree. A, he has a history. But B, the world is FILLED with useful information about life -- none of which should be posted on here unless it has a direct relationship to card collecting. What's next, a study on how glass windows can be broken so people can enter homes to steal baseball cards?
As far as I know Home Security has never been off topic for this forum considering many of us have these concerns as collectors of high dollar cards and memorabilia. I don't even think this is the first time this lock bumping technique has been discussed on Net54.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

if you can post about stolen cards or collections , you should be able to post something like this that may prevent it from happening. just my opinion
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
Once again, I'll post about how every valuable collection should be locked up in a fireproof safe that would give any thief a whole lot of trouble. A house is a very easy thing to get into, and not just through the door, but any window, garage, etc.

Coincidentally, it seems that more and more often when I'm invited to friends' houses they keep their booze in one of these things.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
As far as I know Home Security has never been off topic for this forum considering many of us have these concerns as collectors of high dollar cards and memorabilia. I don't even think this is the first time this lock bumping technique has been discussed on Net54.
How to secure collections is of course on topic. Wasn't saying it wasn't.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
David McDonald

The foregoing kinda reminds me of one of Brad's Space Aliens Have Taken Control of Cable TV threads. And doesn't an OT post by Chicago belong in
the Department of Redundancy Department?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Looks like I'm part of the minority here but it seems to me that Chicago is getting piled on for no good reason. My guess is that if one of the regular and/or popular members posted this info he would have received many thanks from some of the same folks that are now mocking Chicago.

I know he has a "history" here but if you have an issue w/him just bypass his posts.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
. . it seems to me that Chicago is getting piled on for no good reason.
He likes the attention. We're just helping out a fellow collector.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Clayton

I don't think I've ever attacked Chicago before.In fact,when he did his public apology,I commended him for it.Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean people are piling on him,does it?

That being said-I've never heard of this lock popping method before,and it was pretty shocking to me-just what I needed,another thing to be paranoid about ,,,,and of course,it's always good to be aware of ANY way a person/people can or will get over on you.

But at the same time,how many burglars who also didn't know about this method just got a free crash course with almost step by step directions on how to pop your lock,with all of the tips on which locks suck and which locks are invincable???Thats where I thought to myself-"this info can do just as much bad as it can do good,if not more......."

So,that being said-I am not too sure it did more of a service than not.

Clayton
Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
He likes the attention. We're just helping out a fellow collector.
Well, then you're a real fine citizen.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Mike Henson

What if the crooks hook up to your house and tow the whole thing away?Better make sure you let all the air out of your tires. My point is if someone wants something bad enough they will probably find a way to get it,through lock pooping,window breaking,home invasion ect.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Clayton

Very true,very true.............and that's what Sig's for
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 PM

"I don't think I've ever attacked Chicago before.In fact,when he did his public apology,I commended him for it.Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean people are piling on him,does it?"

Of course not and if certain posters were, in fact, just disagreeing then there would be no issue. But comments like "This is a nonsense post" are obviously not just about disagreeing. They are deliberately obnoxious and should have no place here.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Clayton

I see your point howard38.I guess Chicago may have pissed some people off along the way,and it tends to come across in their posts.

Clayton
Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Mike Henson

Amen Clayton,Here in Vegas it seems like there are more and more home invasions,I enjoy having my collection on display at home,always have,a few pieces I keep in a safety deposit box,but I enjoy being able to see or even hold my collectables and have dedicated rooms in the house for them,I carry a Glock for work,bought my girlfriend one too,she goes shooting twice a week,I keep a 3rd one beside the couch next to the front door.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Clayton

I know Mike,it's crazy here in Vegas.The home invasion thing out here is out of control,and it's a shame.Lot of desperate people out here,and you really have to protect your family and property.They'll understand some hot lead though

Good to meet you Mike!!

Clayton
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Dan McCarthy

Is there something in the Vegas water that prevents spaces after punctuation marks?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Along these lines...how many people know about your collection? I basically brag every chance I get to my friends and family. Probably not a good thing to do these days. Just wondering...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Scott

Default knox

I only have room for my Johnnie Walker Blue in my Box....
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Clayton

Actually Dan , yes , there is definately something in the water here
Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Mike Henson

I don't talk about my collection, it's kind of a shame not to be able to share it with people, but it's the sign of the times. Most of my friends and family don't have any knowledge about vintage baseball, even my GF doesn't really have a clue about the history or value of my collection. She thinks it takes up too much room.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
I don't talk about my collection, it's kind of a shame not to be able to share it with people, but it's the sign of the times. Most of my friends and family don't have any knowledge about vintage baseball, even my GF doesn't really have a clue about the history or value of my collection. She thinks it takes up too much room.
My wife is the same way. It is not the friends and family I am worried about. It is everyone they mention it to.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
What if the crooks hook up to your house and tow the whole thing away?Better make sure you let all the air out of your tires. My point is if someone wants something bad enough they will probably find a way to get it,through lock pooping,window breaking,home invasion ect.
If your livin double wide, put 'er on blocks!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM

I appreciate the support from the members here who A) are thankful about learning of this relatively new security risk, and B) are intelligent enough to identify personal attacks (pile ons) when they see them. There are a few here who dislike me so much that I could start a thread on how to get a free million dollars just for calling a phone number and they'd still tell me to get lost.

As far as the concern of a member in regards to giving criminals new info....ummmm, thats about as logical as a non vintage card collector going into a card forum and "alerting the world" to this fantastically valuable T206 card that exists with the name Wagner. Any burglar who makes his living on breaking and entering is well aware of this technique. I think that John Q. Public should know about it as well so that he may counter it.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Chicago is probably right on the point that any burglar who breaks into homes probably knows about the technique. Like I said before, kids in my high school were using this technique to break in to the school at night. that was in 1985, so now that the internet is around the info is widely available if you "know" where to look, or who to ask. I stopped telling people ( other than other collectors) about my collecting when a few years ago a drunk friend of mine who new of my collection and my brothers started telling people at the bar he frequented that our cards were worth a lot of money. My last girlfriend even tried stealing some of my cards after I broke up with her because I had told her about their value or how much I had paid for something. You can't trust too many people with this type of knowledge I've discovered !
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM

That's why it pains me...but every card I own is in the bank. Security is never an issue.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tip on lock bumping Chicago206. I never heard of it before. Any info that keeps our baseball card collections/family safe is always welcome in my book.
Howard