NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Help! Is this a counterfeit/fake?

Posted By: Jim

Help!
I am in need of assistance!
Do you know anything about 1948 Leaf Satchel Paige cards?
Can you please tell me if this looks like a reproduction/fake?
I noticed two on Ebay have different backs and the one I am sending as a link looks to be wrong with a different coloration and spelling "Kansat" instead of Kansas City.
Can you please offer me your opinion or know of someone that could help me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280052578053&rd=1&rd=1

Thank you. Please help AS I THINK I MAY HAVE MADE A BIG MISTAKE!
Jim Sonju

Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joey Settle

If you look closely in the lower right hand portion of the scan, you can see a PSA mark. Very strange why the seller chose not to include the PSA label portion of the scan.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

The misspelling of Kansas?
Anoher card on Ebay has coorect spelling?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

The card is holdered in a psa holder. Seller claims to be wife and its husbands card, so maybe she knows no better?? usually thats a sign to run but who knows?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott L

and check the cert #. That should answer your question as to whether it's fake or not. Whether she actually has the card or not is another story. Lots of Harley parts sold, no cards. No Paypal either which always scares me because you are really at the mercy of the seller if you send a check or MO.

Maybe a scan of the PSA label with a piece of paper with today's date next it might be wise.

Let us know what she says.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I would definitely request a new scan showing the entire slab - actually, I would email her first and ask if its been graded. If she says no, you know its a scam since its obviously in a psa slab. If she says yes and provides the grade, then ask for the new scan with the date written next to it.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Just ask her to rescan the entire slab with a penny on top of it. Thats what I always do. It hard to do this if its a stolen scan. The card looks good, its if the person selling it actually owns it the more serious question.

PS all this should have been done before the auction ended.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If the seller provides a big, clear pic of the card in holder on today's newspaper or today postmarked envelope, you're probably in good shape. If she can't provide such a pic, or denies it's in a PSA holder, you've saved yourself money.

I would think that an honest beginner would show the PSA or other label in the eBay scan, as she would figure the label would show the audience what it was. It also strikes me as a bit odd, though not scandelous, that her BIN is lower than the high value estimate she quotes. I also find it a bit odd that a BIN was used. I would think if you didn't know the real world value you'd use a straight auction, perhaps with a high minimum.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Just noticed, its BIN from 4 days ago. And seller has been an ebay member for about 2 months with 2/3rds of transactions private auctions.

Its a bit late to cover yourself. Just hope for the best. If its Ok you got one of the best deals Ive seen in awhile.

As far as the back, it looks like damage to the plate in the middle and the letters are all screwed up. this could be a printing flaw but Im not familar with this issue enough to have seen or heard of another.

Maybe Ted can chime in, as I know he knows this issue as good as any.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

If it's from a Harley home, it's good... Now if it were Honda people, umm...

Old 11-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Ted- are you out there?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Bumped so maybe Ted Z. sees it.

I was curious about the back (middle) of this card. Is it a known variation?