NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Default What is the story behind your moniker/avatar?

What is the story behind your moniker/avatar?

For me it is fairly simple. The T206 Kid Elberfeld is a dead ringer for me circa 1990. My hometown begins with a "W", thus the Washington Elberfeld version with the "W" on the jersey. Put it together and you have T206Jim.

What is your story? Personally, I can't wait to hear the story behind Leon's moniker.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Mark Medlin

Mine is a funny image of me at an unfunny time. It was tax day 2014 and I owed a bunch.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Mine is a funny image of me at an unfunny time. It was tax day 2014 and I owed a bunch.
Awesome! Your expression fits the situation perfectly.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Dan Bretta

I've used the Slidekellyslide moniker ever since I got here in 2003. King Kelly is a favorite player of mine. My avatar is the cover of Guy W. Green's Nebraska Indians book.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:57 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
When i first saw yours i thought you were jeremy clarkson!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Bill

A buddy of mine photoshopped my face on Mickey Mantle. I love it.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM
D0NN1E B

Because Harry Lumley could rake !

�� Nah.....Harry was actually my first T206 and since then he and I have become family
Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I spent most of my adult life in the Marine Corps and gained appreciation for the older style tattoos of those that came before me. My avatar is an old picture of painted wooden arms with tattoos that are much like my own. Tao_Moko has been my login for many things for many years. Combo of Chinese and Maori - "tao" and "Ta Moko".
Old 04-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Mine is my one and only signed prewar card (for now, at least). It was a TTM request I sent sometime in October 2014. Back in 2005, I bought one of those cut signatures cards that had Doerr on it; that was the first autograph I ever bought, and what got me in to collecting them.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Michael S.

Needing two years of a foreign language in high school, I decided to take Italian my freshman year. After all, I am Italian. Showing up for that class proved to be difficult. I figured Spanish was relatively close, so I took that my sophomore year. Different year, same result.

My guidance counselor informed me that although I had already failed Spanish and Italian, that if I was going to graduate high school on time, I had two options - German or Sign Language. As I considered my options and threw my middle digit in the air at the idea of a foreign language, it dawned on me. I could do this sign language thing.

Needless to say, I graduated on time and am fluent in ASL.

The rest, as they say, is history...
Old 04-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Mine is a piece out of my collection that I really like a lot, so much so I just had it restored
Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Paul Herbener

Mine is from a billboard right down the street from me. Factoryville, Pa. Matty's hometown!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM
pete ullman

A CJ Cobb is a card I never expected to ever own. I got this 1915 example cut from an advertising sheet. I like it because at the time the price was right, it was in nice looking shape, and its more rare than the regular issue.

I cropped a portion...and liked it and it has been by mojo for a while now.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM

Mine is Fred Stoehr's T209-II card. I am a fan of early Southern minor league baseball cards. Stoehr twirled for Anderson/Roanoke (1908), and Goldsboro/Wilmington in 1909 and 1910. About five years ago I acquired letters he wrote to his fiancee/wife talking about life in the Southern minor leagues during the three seasons he played in the Virginia/Eastern Carolina Leagus. As a result of reading his letters, and incorporating some of the information into my website, i have become a fan of Old Baldy, feeling as though we are family.

Interesting thread!

Cheers, Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Although I am starting to think more about pre war, I will always be a big Teddy Ballgame fan!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Bill Gregory

The 'stache was a moniker I choose on another sports card forum. It's an homage to Rollie Fingers, one of my favorite pitchers for the Brewers as a kid. Since it wasn't pre-war era, I changed the picture to Titus, as I really like his T206.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Moniker was bestowed on my by teammates in the 1970's - Clydepepper: combination of my last name and another LHP David Clyde's (who was making his big splash at the same time I was - albeit at a much lower level).

Avatar changes from time to time...currently the unmistakable feet of Sidd Finch.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Mine is from a billboard right down the street from me. Factoryville, Pa. Matty's hometown!

Now, THAT is cool!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Mine are my two prized possessions, a 52 Topps Mantle and Mays.

I inherited these cards from my Father 20+ years ago, and although I have deviated from solely collecting them, I am slowly but surely added to the collection as I go.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Kev1n @1les

When I first got back into the hobby a few years ago and started collecting the Topps sets, I would spend a lot of time going through the albums. One player continued to stick out - literally (ears) and figuratively - my man, Don Mossi. I then saw how Al always featured a Don Mossi card in the LOTG auction and I knew that I had to represent.

I have to remind myself at times that David James really doesn't look like Eddie Plank, Wonka didn't look like Gene Wilder, Peter Speath wasn't Christy Mathewson, and Bob Evans isn't a green monster.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 04-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Now, THAT is cool!
Thanks Raymond! I love the Sidd Finch reference. I remember reading the SI article as a kid thinking WOW!! Then the old April fools thing....
Old 04-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I was putting together a HOFer collection that was nearing the end if completion when I stumbled across Net54. At that time I only needed a Honus Wagner. When I went to sign up it asked for a user name. Normally I would have used my eBay name of 1117drewbay but I was so happy of how close I was to finishing I just wrote almostdone instead.
My avatar is a display case I made that is housing different cards that my wife has purchased for me over the years.
Drew
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Bry@n

It is very bad to steal my rum ... it is very bad.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM
Steve A

I enjoy meeting the people who notice it & get in touch. Still owe a few folks further details...
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
It is very bad to steal my rum ... it is very bad.
Love it Bryan! You got no Mahhbulls!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Sean Costello

My moniker is my name because I have little imagination.

My avatar is the centerpiece of my collection.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Tony Quinn

Mine is a play on my name and the greatest piece of recorded music of all time Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime (my opinion and I actually mean it). Fits perfectly with the name, attitude and the time I "grew up". My wife would disagree as I will be 50 in 2 weeks and still am a 100% metalhead and card carrying (as well as collecting) dufus (ask my 16 yr. old son). I am always surprised to hear from so may others who message me about seeing metal bands back in the day and collect sports stuff today.

Keep on rockin' (with Dokken)!
Yeah, I said it.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Archive

Well long story short, my moniker is my moniker. My real name is Jantz.

I've never been to an amusement park or truck stop and been able to find a key chain or a shot glass with my name on it. Recently I asked Coca Cola to put my name on a pop can, but haven't received a reply back yet. Probably won't happen since there are only three Jantzs in the world.

My avatar is of a postcard of the Polar Bear tobacco factory that was located here in Ohio.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Josh

My current avatar is a temporary NHL playoffs avatar once the Blues are eliminated I will likely change it again.

The legend of "roar bacon": http://blues.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=786448

My moniker is the exact same or almost the same on every site I'm a part of. I originally picked it when I first started to collect vintage cards around 5 years ago. (I can't explain the hyphen)

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-28-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 PM
David Kathman

I have no avatar, but maybe I should get one.

My moniker, trdcrdkid, is also my eBay username, which I picked out when I first registered for eBay back in 1999. As you can probably figure out, it comes from one of my other collecting interests, trade cards. I was active in the Trade Card Collector's Association in the late '90s, going to their conventions in Cherry Hill, New Jersey every year from 1996 to 1999, and was finally prompted to join eBay after seeing a presentation on it at the 1999 TCCA convention. The "kid" part comes from the fact that I was a relatively young whippersnapper among trade card collectors, even though I was 33 years old at the time.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Mine's a female vampire from Carl Dreyer's Vampyr (1932)

Last edited by drcy; 04-29-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 AM

Default Avatar, or perhaps American Literary Giant?

My avatar until a few months ago was a pedestrian 1921 Zeenut that I do not own. Zeenuts are cool, however my current 1910 Obak of Williams avatar is not only much more colorful, but with the crossed arms and somewhat skeptical air Williams exhibits a sort of 'prove it to me' attitude. Which is only fitting since he has the mysterious and factually elusive F. Scott Fitzgerald 'F' stamp on his backside. A stamp which, perhaps just as fittingly, cannot be seen in the avatar.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obakfsf302.jpg (72.2 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg obakfsb303.jpg (68.2 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-29-2016 at 01:39 AM. Reason: polished my prose until it shimmers
Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Ciaran

Ulidia is the name of an ancient Kingdom in Ireland that was disestablished in the 12th century. It's territory encompasses much of what, today, is Northern Ireland.

My avatar is an Irish Football Association cap from the 1935 /36 season. Caps were, and still are, awarded by the British Isles football nations for players selected in international football (ie soccer) games.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
I swear to God, I honestly always thought yours was a goofy pic of Colin Quinn. I'm stunned that it isn't!!!

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.51 AM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My avatar is a couple of still shots (that are strung together) of me whacking a liner into right field during a 'celebrity' softball game for a radio show.

The entire world, except for my sisters, calls me 'Elms' or 'Elm' which has been my nickname forever. JollyElm is a play on the Jimmy Buffett song 'Jolly Mon.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:30 AM
Mike

Scrolling eBay one day I came across this Rube for some silly, low price. I was amazed that once it fell to the shape it is in now, that someone back in the day decided to still keep it. I assume it was back in the day and not in these times of penny sleeves and top loaders. Once I got I in hand I was struck by the almost "folk art" nature of it.

Waddell front.jpg

Waddell Back.jpg
Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

In addition to being a Tigers fan, I grew up in Michigan and went to the University of Michigan, as did Gehringer. When I got back into the hobby, his 34 Goudey was my first purchase (though I love the color of the '33 more.) I've since completed the Basic Set on the PSA registry and continue to add more rare issues as I find them.

When it comes to collecting, I'd like to believe that I'm employing a mechanical-like approach to checking off my wish list, but more often than not, I let emotion drive my decisions.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Dave_Berg

The Kinks 1978 album cover "Misfits"
Sums it up nicely for me
Old 04-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Daryl

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Numbers

Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Scott S

I changed mine to my current avatar back in 2013, in the days after the Boston Marathon bombing. I grew up in Watertown (and live in the next town over now), which is where the manhunt occurred and they found the bomber hiding in a boat in someone's backyard (a block away from my son's daycare).

The avatar represents Watertown Strong, and gives me pride in my hometown!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Pete Sycks

My avatar is the '51 Bowman card of my former Neighbor Wayne Terwilliger "Twig". He was also the first base coach of the Twins when they won their World Series titles in '87 / '91. He's still kicking down in Texas at age 90.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 AM
pariah1107

My college history thesis was on untouchables in Hinduism, or pariahs. The original meaning of the term "pariah" in Sanskrit actually means "player of the leather skinned drum", or a cow murderer. It's for convenience and to compensate for the many free fantasy sports leagues I enter. The username is never taken, and if it is, I likely already have an account on that site.

The avatar is of my favorite baseball pioneer, Jimmy Claxton, at Roslyn Ballpark ca. 1926-31.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-29-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

The username is a tribute to the 19th century biologist Thomas Huxley and, by extension, to Charles Darwin himself who had, as Daniel Dennett put it, "the single best idea anybody ever had." And I'll fight the man, woman, or child who says otherwise.

The avatar is the W600 of tough-luck pitcher Virgil "Ned" Garvin. One of my long-term projects is to collect the "rookie card" for each of the 50 states -- the first major league baseball card of the first player to reach the majors from each of the 50 possible home states. The W600 Garvin is the rookie card of Texas* and the first really tough card that I picked up for that project.

*I know Hoffman has an N172, but in his case that's a minor league/"prookie" card.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Nothing fancy here I started collecting rookie cards when I was a kid. I still do but I now switch around stuff. So Rookiemonster is a play on word from Cookie Monster obviously.

My avatar is a picture I took from my son and I's first game together in Yankee stadium last year.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

If you have to ask, you're too old for Rock N Roll
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM
An$on

Moniker = I am a frequent traveler to Cozumel in Mexico. Cozumelenos are what the locals are sometimes called.

Avatar = Real first name is Anson so I chose one of Cap Anson's cards
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM
David $tephens

Moniker is a throwback from college. I loved to fly, 17 was my Uncles College Football Number and 2000 was what Yahoo made me add to my first email address.

I don't have an Avatar.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I

I just use my name my avatar is about the grateful dead pretty much the only thing, other than friends and family, that i love more than baseball cards.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-29-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

BBCARD1 is my license plate. I was on the internet very early so it also became my identity there.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Justin

My moniker is my location and ebay id. I'm pretty surprised it's still accurate considering how often I moved before joining ebay in 1998.

My avatar is from one of my favorite pennants.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/