NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Pirate Trivia Question

This Question was asked on the SNY telecast several nights ago and it relates to the T206 set. Which 3 Pirates have lead the National League in Home Runs in a single season?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Jim VB

Stargell did it twice (1971 and 1973). Kiner did it 7 years in a row (1946-1952 inclusive. 1952 was a tie for the league lead I believe.) And the other was Tommy Leach (1902)
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Pirate Trivia Question

That is the right answer Jim. I believe Leach is in the T206 set. I was surprised that the Pirates had only 3 HR leaders in there history.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM
John Manning

Remember that the Bucs spent the first sixty or so years of the modern era in Forbes Field .. 365 down the left field line (topped by a 24 foot scoreboard), 406 in left center, 457 to dead center, 375 in right center and, after 1925, only 300 down the line in right. But also in right was a 30 foot screen that went well out into right center. About the only guy able to hit homers out of Forbes was Babe Ruth, who hit #714, his last, over the roof in right, his third of the day.

Of Kiner's seven league leading seasons, six came immediately after Hank Greenberg joined the team in '47, and the bullpens were moved to left field, dramatically shortening the distance a homer had to travel. What had been intended as "Greenberg Gardens" quickly became "Kiner's Korner."

By Stargell's time, of course, Forbes was truly ancient, and the Bucs moved to smaller, friendlier Three Rivers in the summer of 1970 "On the Hill" Will hit 48 homers to lead the league the following year, and 44 two years later.

Tommy Leach played all his Pirate home games in Exposition Park, where he led the league in homers only once, in 1902 ... with 6. (The same year he cranked out 22 triples.)

The only surprise in all of this is that more members of the "Pittsburgh Lumber Company," the Bucs of the 70s, didn't lead the league.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Pirate Triva response - Bob Manning

The response by Bob Manning is truely amazing. Bob did you know all those facts or did you look up this info.? What ever, I am impressed!!!!! Being from the "Burgh" I am guessing you maybe to. My collection is a set of Tip Top Bread 1910's. If you from the "Burgh", maybe we can get together and I can show off my set!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopBread View Post
The response by Bob Manning is truely amazing. Bob did you know all those facts or did you look up this info.? What ever, I am impressed!!!!! Being from the "Burgh" I am guessing you maybe to. My collection is a set of Tip Top Bread 1910's. If you from the "Burgh", maybe we can get together and I can show off my set!
Tip Top! No Sealtest Ice Cream flavor of the month for some lucky shut in? No Isalys?

Born and bred in the Burgh, and proud of it. Lived in the south hills, where the slag dump gave a nightly sky show the rivalled anyting the Fourth of July could produce.

I had to look up players stats, but spent enough hot afternoons in Forbes to memorize the dimensons painted on the (ivy-covered) walls. And I own one of the blueprints from Barney Dreyfus' 1925 renovation, so part of my "research" consisted of walking downstairs to see what had changed.

If my wife discovers that I'm looking at somebody else's set, she'll ... I'd rather not think about it. I do have a '64 Kahn's Clemente, T3s Clarke and Camnitz, and a few Exhibits from the 20s (Babe Adams, Max Carey, Moses Yellowhorse), but my Pirate "special collection" ends there.

Man, other than in catalogues, I've never even seen a Tip Top. Show us what you got!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Pirate Trivia Question - "Bob Manning"

http://ImageEvent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread

TO VIEW SET USE PASSWORD: 1910ttb

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
FredYoung

Ray--A GREAT looking set!

A suggestion, if I may:

Think how much nicer your set would look if you had them all in SGC holders!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Pirate Trivia Question - Fred Y

I sure wish they were all in SGC slabs. However, I am afraid to have SGC slab the PSA's due to the possibility of a down grade of some cards. I would like to hand carry them to SGC and get a grading from them before they reslab the card. I don't want to have to spend a week at SGC waiting for the cards, unless I know for sure that the PSA's will get a SGC similiar grading. But you are right, all the cards in SGC slabs would make it more attractive, and then they could be a registered set at SGC.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 AM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopBread View Post
http://ImageEvent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread

TO VIEW SET USE PASSWORD: 1910ttb

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!!!
Incredible! How long did it take you to assemble all that? And where did you find them? By the way, I think Fred's right -- they'd all look great in SGA holders. I hope you'll consider it, at least.

Great work! I especially like the Tip Top Boy.

Bob
Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Default Pirate Trivia Question -"Bob Manning"

I started on the set approx. 15 years ago. I bought 17 cards from a dealer for $716.00. I was missing the Tip Top Boy until I found one just last year. Then within 2 months of obtaining the Tip Top Boy, another one showed up on Mastro or Goodwin auction, I just had to win it. Now I am the owner of 2 very rare Tip Top Boy Mascot. The PSA WAGNER - 3 has a stain on the front, but the card is centered, no creases, and sharpe corners. I have enough duplicates to complete a second set, however I do not have 2 Dreyfuss. My second set has 24 out of 25 cards. I am not trying to sell my second set with the PSA WAGNER - 3, but if someone made me the right offer I would consider parting with it. I will NOT put it in an auction, or EBay!! I spent to much time, and money on all the Tip Tops in my collection!