NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Default Any idea on who this Duke player is?

duke photo.jpg
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

would be cool if it was Crash Davis....around that time frame and Duke....
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I thought the same thing. The lady who owns it knew I was a baseball guy and was surprised I didn't know who it was, after all it is a baseball player
Old 04-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Bobw

Default Duke Yearbooks

If you have the time....here are Duke University yearbooks online. I did a quick look of the 40s and 50s and I didn't see that style uniform

http://library.digitalnc.org/cdm/sea...nd/order/datea
Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Albuquerque Dukes?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Albuquerque Dukes?
Hadn't thought of that. Did they have a team in the 30's 40's? From the style frame this picture was in, I thought it might be from that era. Just guessing.
I also will look at Duke Yearbooks. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Don Stokes

The Duluth Dukes?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Another possibility if they were around then.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I have contacted the Albuquerque Dukes to see if they is anyone who might be able to at least give me a Yea or Ney based on uniform. The Duluth Dukes didn't start until 2007 according to the website and this picture is from the 30's or 40's I think. I will try the Duke yearbooks next. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Try sending it to Jerry Cohen, the owner of Ebbets Field Flannels. He specializes in obscure minor league flannels and is always helpful when I have a question researching the uniforms for one of my illustrations.

I wonder if there is enough of the ball park in the background to ID the city. It looks like he has a new white home jersey mixed with grey or really old pants, so it may be a spring training or tryout picture.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Try sending it to Jerry Cohen, the owner of Ebbets Field Flannels. He specializes in obscure minor league flannels and is always helpful when I have a question researching the uniforms for one of my illustrations.

I wonder if there is enough of the ball park in the background to ID the city. It looks like he has a new white home jersey mixed with grey or really old pants, so it may be a spring training or tryout picture.
Thanks for the info. I will do that. Appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Bruce Esser

There was also the York Nebraska Dukes in the Nebraska State League from 1928-1931

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonbb View Post
There was also the York Nebraska Dukes in the Nebraska State League from 1928-1931
Thanks, another possibility. I hope Jerry Cohen can help shed some light but will check this out also.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I'm pretty sure it's the Duluth Dukes. Looks like you can see the "s" at the end of the logo.

Here's a link to an ebay auction from one of those guys who senselessly slice up old baseball guides magazines. It is part of a 1940 article and shows what looks like this jersey. Not complete match, but the sleeve and front piping looks close. Hat looks close, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Schmidt-...4AAOSwl9BWGTqh

Last edited by jerseygary; 04-03-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: detail
Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the Duluth Dukes. Looks like you can see the "s" at the end of the logo.

Here's a link to an ebay auction from one of those guys who senselessly slice up old baseball guides magazines. It is part of a 1940 article and shows what looks like this jersey. Not complete match, but the sleeve and front piping looks close. Hat looks close, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Schmidt-...4AAOSwl9BWGTqh
Thanks, I looked at the EBay listing and the piping does look the same. It may even be Joe Schmidt since he was so well known back then. I did not go back far enough on Duluth Dukes - just looked at current website. Will do some more research.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 AM
Tim

Default 1937 Duluth Dukes

Looks like a pretty close uniform match. 1937 Duluth Dukes (Northern League; Minnesota).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937 Duluth Dukes.jpg (58.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Tim,

Thanks and thanks to all who helped me. It seems pretty certain this is a Duluth Dukes player. Now I would like to id him.

Thanks again to all.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I tried Jerry Cohen of Ebbets Field Flannels but apparently he couldn't help. I did not hear back directly but Client Relations responded that, since he didn't reply, he couldn't help.

So here is where I am - thanks to the help on the site I am pretty sure this is a picture of a Duluth Dukes player. Given the frame it is in I presume from the 1930's-40's. I can not make out enough to even suggest the site. I can not find pictures of individual Duluth Dukes pictures from this era. I looked at Major League players who played with the Dukes but there are not enough pictures to make any kind of an ID. I guess this guy will remain a mystery and someone will find it in my collection and wonder the same thing and why I have it. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM

It may not be important enough to ya to pursue further, but it's hard to believe the answer isn't discoverable somewhere.
The Duluth Dukes played as such for just nine seasons in the likely time-frame (1934-42) and their rosters are relatively
(relatively) well documented at http://www.baseball-reference.com/ -- photos of the team's very few eventual major leaguers
even showed some suspects -- and there have to be some extant team pictures or other ephemera that could identify your guy.
Many's the time we've hit a brick wall on some artifact in our own collecting niche and had to put it on the back burner for...
years, in some cases -- only to have have some tidbit of information show up unexpectedly and relate to a second thing
that's similar to a third thing which leads us to the answer about the first thing.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
It may not be important enough to ya to pursue further, but it's hard to believe the answer isn't discoverable somewhere.
The Duluth Dukes played as such for just nine seasons in the likely time-frame (1934-42) and their rosters are relatively
(relatively) well documented at http://www.baseball-reference.com/ -- photos of the team's very few eventual major leaguers
even showed some suspects -- and there have to be some extant team pictures or other ephemera that could identify your guy.
Many's the time we've hit a brick wall on some artifact in our own collecting niche and had to put it on the back burner for...
years, in some cases -- only to have have some tidbit of information show up unexpectedly and relate to a second thing
that's similar to a third thing which leads us to the answer about the first thing.
Thanks. I checked some of pictures I could find of Dukes players in the majors but there were some I couldn't find. I found a couple team pictures but couldn't get them to come up big enough to do any comparison. The tidbit of information showing up unexpectedly was oh so true when I and my cousin were researching the family name. I hit a dead as he did but several years later a person responded with some obscure information that opened the flood gates and he was able to take us back to the 1600's.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Not sure what you are looking to find and I'm pretty sure I would be able to find a name for you without a uniform number or something, but I'm pretty sure it's the Duluth Dukes. I have a number of Dukes items and programs. If I can help you at all, just PM me. Jason