NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Default OT - Buck O'Niel will have a plaque in the HOF

Posted By: Rob L

Finally, the HOF has decided to bend the rules to put Buck into the HOF. It's too bad that it has to come a couple of weeks after his death. At least he will be where he rightfully belongs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061014&content_id=1712704&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Rob L

Old 10-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Tip of the cap to Ol' Buck.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

yes- very sad they didn't get it together quick enough while he was alive. What a tremondous ambassador of the game he was.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Cooperstown, like Frodo, can stare into the Crack of Doom.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Here is a picture of Frodo staring into the Crack of Doom

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yeah, when you were reallly stooopid in my youth, you got to wear a Dunce Cap and stare into the corner of the room.
I think the modern version of standing on a toilet seat and staring into the Crack of Doom is much more fitting for Cooperstown's continued stupidity.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

A great baseball related comic today (Ssaturday) if you see this after Saturday, tou will need click "previous" until you get to the strip about Buck O'Niel.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/getfuzzy

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I hope they do the right thing and make him a full-fledged member. Anything short of that is a nice try, but no cigar.

Too bad they didn't do it when he was alive to revel in it (not that he would have).

Old 11-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I thought Buck had a chance like the rest of the Negro Leaguers and didn't get enough votes.

Where is Home Run Johnson's plaque? Or Dick Redding's? Or Chet Brewer's? Or.....

If I had I a vote, I would have voted for Buck. But the ones who did have votes didn't elect him.

Is he a member of the HOF because he has a plaque?

Are we now trying to say that this plaque makes Buck O'Neil a HOFer?

-Ryan

Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Not to mention that they had this tiny window of opportunity to do it while he was still alive and they blew it big time.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Ryan,do you think theres any other players who are still alive who deserve to be in the hall of fame? You might think other players are more deserving because you know more about them,but Buck is both deserving and was the face of the Negro Leagues therefore people cared that he didnt make it while he was alive.It has nothing to do with him being the most deserving

Also it seems like the only people who agreed with the voting are the ones who did it because no one outside of them and a couple "spokesman" for them agree with it so mentioning the ballot isnt a valid point in this case. I dont care how much expertise they had,enough of them made an abvious mistake,its that simple

Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

John,

No, I don't believe there are any other living Negro Leaguers worthy of the HOF. Unless you count Minoso as a Negro Leaguer, which is absurd.

I understand why everyone is so passionate about Buck. I agree with everyone about how great he was. I support him being inducted into Cooperstown, along with several others who "should" have gotten in.

The problem I have is that after voting results were announced, the best argument people usually gave for why he should have been elected was that he was still alive.

Yes, if he was going to get in eventually, it would have been much better for it to have happened while he was still alive. Better for everyone. Better for Buck, better for those of us who wanted to see him honored in the way we feel he deserved, better for the Hall of Fame. Sadly, that didn't happen.

I don't agree with him not being elected, but I do not think it was unfair. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the process before the results were announced. Anyone who thought the process was unfair should have spoken up then, but no one did. Partly because they just assumed Buck O'Neil was a lock to be elected, and partly because the process actually was fair.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why it was an "obvious mistake" that he didn't get elected. Can you explain it? Please explain what exactly was wrong with the voting process and why you and others weren't vocal about the flawed process before the voting took place.

-Ryan

Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

I think the thread that went on for days after the announcement was enough proof of why he should be elected. For all he did for the game,on the field,in the dugout,in the stands and as the voice of the negro leagues.If you judge him just as a player,hes iffy at best,just as a manager/coach,no,just as a scout which they dont have a category for so no,or just as an ambassador of the game,probably but when you put all of those together hes a no-brainer. He couldve at least been in under the pioneer category and combined everything if they didnt want to put him in under a player or manager.

I cant describe it as anything more than poor judgement on their part.When the votes came in and he wasnt elected they shouldve rechecked with the people who didnt vote for him and said why didnt you elect him,is it because youre judging him based purely on his playing days,just to make sure they were doing the right thing.

Its also common sense that you want someone who is both living and deserving to make the hall while they are alive,not wait till theyve passed to do it.I think it also ruined the election because it immediately went from celebrating these great people to annoyance that he didnt make it over these people most have never heard of.Thats why there was so much backlash and it only got worse when he passed.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Administrator

John,

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It definitely ruined the inductions of all of the ones who made it, to a certain degree, because all anyone talked about was one person who didn't get in instead of 17 who did.

Part of the problem was that they didn't create a "pioneer" or some such category, even if it was just for him. The sum total of his baseball life adds up to any easy pick as a HOFer, but this election was supposed to be based on the stats from the $250,000 study the commissioned. They made it clear that certain candidates were executives/managers (Wilkinson, Posey, etc.) and the rest were players. It wouldn't have mattered if they considered O'Neil a manager because that, by itself, is not HOF material.

Buck O'Neil was a good player, but not a great player. There was a list of 94 candidates, of which 39 were selected to be on the final ballot and voted on. I would not have put Buck on the list of 94, let alone the final 39, as a player. As a player, his HOF credentials were not "iffy." They were not close. He was a career .300 hitter, which is good. Not great. But good. Even though part of his playing career came after integration when the quality of pitching and play in general had deteriorated quite a bit from earlier decades, .300 is still good. He also had 13 career home runs and 160 RBI in 1,285 at-bats. Using career totals for batting average/HR/RBI, here is how he compares to other non-pitcher candidates:

ELECTED:

Willard Brown: .351 - 67 - 287
Biz Mackey: .329 - 59 - 433
Mule Suttles: .327 - 133 - 493
Ben Taylor: .322 - 21 - 191
Cristobal Torriente: .339 - 46 - 309
Jud Wilson: .351 - 71 - 485

NOT ELECTED:

Newt Allen: .287 - 18 - 204
John Beckwith: .349 - 77 - 302
Rap Dixon: .315 - 51 - 246
Sammy T. Hughes: .302 - 16 - 113
Fats Jenkins: .324 - 15 - 119
Dick Lundy: .306 - 37 - 297
Oliver Marcelle: .293 - 9 - 144
Orestes Minoso: .299 - 4 - 40
Dobie Moore: .346 - 32 - 201
Alejandro Oms: .318 - 31 - 173
BUCK O'NEIL: .300 - 13 - 160
Red Parnell: .326 - 31 - 224
George Scales: .321 - 66 - 303

I should point out that most of the players with lower stats were defensive players, either 2B or SS, while O'Neil played 1st base.

For comparison, here are some other HOFers:

Oscar Charleston: .348 - 128 - 502
Josh Gibson: .359 - 115 - 432
Buck Leonard: .320 - 60 - 275
Bullet Joe Rogan: .338 - 45 - 251 (a pitcher!!!)
Turkey Stearnes: .345 - 183 - 718
Willie Wells: .319 - 98 - 399

Now that I've listed all of that I need to mention that I think one of the mistakes that was made was having too much emphasis on the stats, which should be taken with a grain of salt as they are not nearly complete. Only "official" Negro League games counted and only ones where complete box scores existed.

Although the stats really just give a rough idea of the players, it's clear that Buck O'Neil was absolutely not a HOF player.

Was he a HOF manager? I say no way. His entire managing career (1948-55) took place after integration as the Negro Leagues became more and more watered down.

As a scout, he signed Ernie Banks and Lou Brock, among others. HOF scout? No.

In 1962 he became the first black coach in baseball. HOF coach? No.

To summarize:

HOF player? No.
HOF manager? No.
HOF scout? No.
HOF coach? No.

Even adding all of those together, I think he is a borderline HOFer, at best.

Now, this brings us to the real reason so many people are so passionate about Buck O'Neil and the one person to blame for this whole mess: KEN BURNS!

Were it not for Ken Burns and his documentary, hardly anyone would have a clue who Buck O'Neil was. But this is where baseball fans fell in love with Buck O'Neil. From there he became the face and living symbol of the Negro Leagues. He became one of the greatest ambassadors the game has ever known. Was he a HOF ambassador? I say YES!!!

Add all of it up and, as I said earlier, I would have voted for him. But if I was a voter, you would demand I change my vote if I didn't vote for him? You said "When the votes came in and he wasnt elected they shouldve rechecked with the people who didnt vote for him and said why didnt you elect him,is it because youre judging him based purely on his playing days,just to make sure they were doing the right thing." Well, they had two days of discussion BEFORE they voted. All of them together. Two full days right before the vote. Four out of the twelve simply didn't agree with the other eight voters, or you or me or the other Buck O'Neil supporters. Whatever their reasons.

Would you have also have asked them to explain why they didn't vote for George Scales, or John Donaldson, or John Beckwith?

I know it sucks and I know people don't like it, but Buck O'Neil is simply not a HOFer. And by the way, who said anything about him getting a plaque? They haven't given any details about what they are considering, although it may be a plaque. But where is the plaque speculation coming from? Even if it's true, having some commemorative plaque hang in Cooperstown as a response to public backlash about your non-induction does not make you a HOFer.

Maybe they will right this situation by having another election for Negro Leaguers including the many others who are equally as worthy as Buck O'Neil, some of whom didn't even make the list of 94, like Gus Greenlee.

As far as Buck O'Neil goes, who really cares about Cooperstown? Will any of us feel any different about him if he's inducted? His life will still have impacted as many people and been just as meaningful either way.

HOF or not, Buck will remain in the hearts of baseball fans everywhere from now until the game is no longer played. And probably long after that.

-Ryan

Old 11-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Rey

I think Ryan pretty much hit it dead on.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

The only part i dont agree about is that when you say "who cares about Cooperstown...."

I think they need to have him in there so generations after us dont forget what he did,people around now will always remember him but for now theres no rush to get him there because he already passed away.It may be the public outcry that gets him in sooner but they would be better off waiting awhile so the ceremony isnt interrupted by negativity surrounding it

You also mention other players who were deserving and while now wouldve been a good time for them to be elected,i still believe they shouldve started from the beginning of baseball first and made sure all the 19th century players who deserved induction were in and finally close the door on them.The veteran election they have now is a joke because the final ballot contains a couple legitimate choices while you could put together an all-star team of more legit choices from the 19th century.Like you with your knowledge of Negro Leagues,theres only a small voice that cant talk over the people who want in players they know who are still living and they saw play