NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Block Sportscards

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I know this subject has been on the board previously but I felt it important to give the yearly warning on this company. I recently won a 49 Bowman Paige card for approximately $2500 from this seller. Before I bid I asked if they touched up their photos posted on the listings as the borders seemed impossibly white for a card of this age. They responded that they did not (but curiously did not post the Q & A on the listing). Anyway, I won the auction, paid $60 for shipping and handling and insurance (even though the card was wrapped in newspaper inside a box and had postage of $29.45 on the box) and received the card today. Wouldn't you know it but the card's borders were about 15 shades darker than in the listing's picture! Clearly the photo was messed with. I still love the card obviously but felt that I should at least post this warning about them.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

I won a D304 last year from Block. Took six weeks to receive the card and he ignored all e-mails. The guy is scum in my book.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Counter

Could you post both pictures to see the digital image alteration?

Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

George, I don't have a scanner but I'm going to post them once I can get my card scanned. It's laughable how different the card is from the pic in the listing.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

I assume the card was graded. Did he tweek the entire file, or just the card itself?
There are a few auction houses that farm out their scanning, and the files are really pumped up. But you can use the flip on the holder as a control and see how much was done. If they just did the card and not the holder it would be blatantly deceptive.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I looked up the card to see the pictures and they are already gone since Block uses a third party server to display scans. While I was on the page I started looking at their feedback. It was not bad at first glance...99.1%, but when you dig deeper you start seeing numerous statements of "Feedback withdrawn because member did not respond to formal mediation request."

I don't know anything about the mediation process with EBay but obviously Block has done a lot to protect their feedback rating by instituting what must be a cumbersome process. They definately look bad.

Edit for typos

Old 11-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

Fun reading from the CU boards regarding The Block. Before he used the Uncle Sam avatar on there he had some death metal Ozzie Osbourne looking thing that certainly didn't help his case at the time.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=336256&highlight_key=y&keyword1=blocksportscards

Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Can you imagine having to deal with a "formal mediation request" on a negative feedback? Can I bill by the hour for that?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Sounds like some rather incredible customer service. My head basically exploded with that that "Block" post repetition in the CU and I would love to see the photo altering.

Leon would never tolerate that and therefore should be up for "hobby saint hood".

DJ

Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I'm amazed this guy is still in business. Before I knew better, I would wait weeks for a card.

My last experience, however, was a bit different. I Paypaled for a $200 1929 Kashin and didn't get it after 4 weeks. I filed a Paypal complaint and got a refund. A week later, he sent the card.

Well, I he sent me 10 emails an hour for 2 days demanding I pay for the card. It was fun making him squirm a bit until I paid him!

Frank

Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

My only advice, don't bother with the guy. Read the CU thread to see what I went through a year ago.

-Kyle-