NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Displaying cards ok or no?

I have two display cases I used to have action figures in. It's about 36x36" and 4" deep. Made of walnut with glass shelves.

The first case is in my basement, split level house, so the basement is only 4 feet under the ground. It's not humid, not in direct sunlight - not really in any light. Just in the corner of the basement.

I have LED lights on the cabinet, but never and will never use them.

If I put my graded cards in the case with the sleeve covers like this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/141721301364?chn=ps
over, think that will be ok?

The second cabinet is in my kids room and he has his cards in penny sleeves, then a top holder. The light isn't direct, but he gets some morning light. Not direct, just the room is pretty bright in the morning.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Anson

I would be a little hesitant to display my cards with direct sunlight hitting them. I've seen a lot of different items fade over time, simply from being on display for a prolonged time. If you choose to do so, I would consider investing in some UV film to put over the top of the case. This would certainly help/slow down the process.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Sounds like the basement case is fine. From what I'm hearing, though, I wouldn't put anything of value in the other case. Although direct sun is by far the worst, really any light is not good.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I would be a little hesitant to display my cards with direct sunlight hitting them. I've seen a lot of different items fade over time, simply from being on display for a prolonged time. If you choose to do so, I would consider investing in some UV film to put over the top of the case. This would certainly help/slow down the process.
Nonsense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 359F598A-32A9-4E97-9C9E-16500AB142E2.jpg (67.1 KB, 417 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

People who are conscious of limiting light, especially direct light, will generaly be in good shape.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 PM
David M.

You should only view your cards in total darkness.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Problem solved

Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
You should only view your cards in total darkness.
LOL... I think it's more the direct sunlight that would hurt....and I also think indirect light can affect things a little bit unless they are UV protected. My Horner Composite is the only thing I have gotten protected and is the only valuable thing I have on display. This is a very poor picture but it is fairly consistent in its focus in person, not like this picture.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Jason Wells

Beautiful composite Leon! I especially like Big Ban Johnson with his glare. Reseached him the other day and I have the feeling he was a very intimidating presence.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Steven

Absolutely no direct light or indirect light. I got a shade that absorbs light to prevent any light into the room. I also changed all my bulbs to leds that could be on the cards. Then get the uv/museum quality glass and youre in good shape. I love displaying stuff, piece of mind to not fading is priceless.

Do it the right way.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Larry P.

I have found that direct sunlight weakens signatures on photos signed with blue sharpie.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Owen R

Are any ultra pro holders or PSA cases UV resistant at all?

Owen
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

Believe it or not, the penny sleeves are UV resistant. I had some cards in fairly direct sun for 2 years + and the ones in sleeves were fine while the unsleeved were faded wherever they were exposed.

The sleeves themselves did poorly, becoming too brittle to handle. But they did stop a lot of UV.

I wouldn't trust that with expensive cards though. Maybe I just got lucky and had a "good" batch of sleeves.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
Are any ultra pro holders or PSA cases UV resistant at all?

Owen
I know that Ultra-Pro's ball cubes claim to have some UV protectant, but it's important to remember that UV protection is gradient and not black and white. Think of it a sunscreen...you can get SPF 4 and you can get SPF 100. I would think that the ball cubes are more in the SPF 4 category. As far as I know, no top loaders on the market offer any kind of UV protection. I have heard that PSA slabs have some, but still on the low end of the spectrum.

If your collection is displayed in a room that is dark other than when people are using it, say an hour or two a day, then you're fine. If they are in a room that gets light (any kind of light) all or most of the day (like a living room or bedroom with the curtains open), then over time there will be degradation. The hard part is that sometimes the fading can happen so slowly and gradually that you won't really notice until it's too late.

The best you can get is museum quality glass, and even that only offers something like 98% protection....and it is very expensive. The is no such thing as a see-through 100% solution, which is why the high SPF sunscreens are the thick, white cream that never fully absorbs - they are "physical blockers" which literally block out all light.

The bottom line is, if the value (monetary or sentimental) of your item is of great importance to you, either store it in complete (or close to complete) darkness for 22+ hours/day, or pony up for museum glass.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[QUOTE=conor912;1736937]I know that Ultra-Pro's ball cubes claim to have some UV protectant, but it's important to remember that UV protection is gradient and not black and white. Think of it a sunscreen...you can get SPF 4 and you can get SPF 100. I would think that the ball cubes are more in the SPF 4 category. As far as I know, no top loaders on the market offer any kind of UV protection. I have heard that PSA slabs have some, but still on the low end of the spectrum.

If your collection is displayed in a room that is dark other than when people are using it, say an hour or two a day, then you're fine. If they are in a room that gets light (any kind of light) all or most of the day (like a living room or bedroom with the curtains open), then over time there will be degradation. The hard part is that sometimes the fading can happen so slowly and gradually that you won't really notice until it's too late.

The best you can get is museum quality glass, and even that only offers something like 98% protection....and it is very expensive. The is no such thing as a see-through 100% solution, which is why the high SPF sunscreens are the thick, white cream that never fully absorbs - they are "physical blockers" which literally block out all light.

The bottom line is, if the value (monetary or sentimental) of your item is of great importance to you, either store it in complete (or close to complete) darkness for 22+ hours/day, or pony up for museum glass.[/QUOTE]

That last part is good advice. I did and am very happy I did (as I am sure others who have done it, feel.) If you have a valuable object the cost is a tiny percent. I think my Horner photo (above), done as archival as it realistically gets (at a nice, upscale art place) was around $350, approx 8-9 yrs ago. Here is a plug for them as they are really nice folks and do a great job.

http://www.swgallery.com/custom-fram...al-projects-25

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 PM

Use a good quality paper and make photocopies of the cards that's what I did then you don't have to worry about it
Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

my cards are displayed but they are in an big enclosed cabinet - u have to open the wood doors to see them.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Use a good quality paper and make photocopies of the cards that's what I did then you don't have to worry about it
I had copies of a lot of cards displayed until recently. Now I have some cheap Goudeys and other memorabilia displayed.