NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Ben Martin

Default I was given 2 T206 cards. Have some questions.

I only had one other T206 until today and it was graded. I was at an auction this past weekend that had a few cards and got to talking about cards with another bidder and mentioned I like the older cards and that I had 1 T206. He told me he had a couple that he wanted to send me so we exchanged phone numbers and addresses. I wasn't really expecting anything but today these arrived.

I guess my first question is should I try to lightly erase the writing on the back or leave it alone? I may actually send them in for grading next time I send a bunch. Any thoughts on how these may do? Should I even bother?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
And.rew C0rs0

You should not erase the writing. It is an interesting paradox but writing on a card -- at least writing that appears to have been done in a prior era -- garners a qualifier of "MK" but otherwise does not invalidate the card. Erasing, though, constitutes tampering and renders the card nearly worthless -- or at least impossible to grade if that is your intent.

Interestingly, I have seen similar handwriting on another card. The H in his name looks familiar. I wonder who Rosie and Lilie were and why they were given these cards?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Default Similar name on back of T206

I no longer own this card -- sold it a few weeks ago. But I feel like the handwriting is the same as on the two cards you just got. And it is a name written diagonally along the upper part of the Piedmont logo. Interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back of Rossman.jpg (82.7 KB, 377 views)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
You should not erase the writing. It is an interesting paradox but writing on a card -- at least writing that appears to have been done in a prior era -- garners a qualifier of "MK" but otherwise does not invalidate the card. Erasing, though, constitutes tampering and renders the card nearly worthless -- or at least impossible to grade if that is your intent.

Interestingly, I have seen similar handwriting on another card. The H in his name looks familiar. I wonder who Rosie and Lilie were and why they were given these cards?
Thanks. The guy that sent the cards to me is from near Ashville, NC I am in the southwest part of VA. No telling where these have been through the years. He said he got them in a collection he bought or something. Either way I am happy to have them. I would only grade them when I send in some cards on one of the $5-$6 specials when I send a bunch of others.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Ed McCollum

Default ?

So, was the person sending a middle-man, and sending on behalf of someone's whose name starts with an H:

"Rosie/Lily, I send you this from H???"

or is he/she the person who is actually gifting the card:

"Rosie/Lily, I send you this. From H????"

Of course, I'm also looking at it to see if the H is the start of Howe.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Ken McMillan

Leave the writing alone!!! The only reason to have them graded would be to protest the cards from damage if you are handeling as SGC would most likely grade them as a poor 10 cards. I have all my cards graded for display but truthfully I really do not care what grade they are as long as they display well.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I no longer own this card -- sold it a few weeks ago. But I feel like the handwriting is the same as on the two cards you just got. And it is a name written diagonally along the upper part of the Piedmont logo. Interesting.
Looks like an early Walter Johnson signature.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Ja,mie B.

from "Hanerie"???
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
looks like an early walter johnson signature.

lol
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Ja,mie B.

P.S. I don't think it is the same handwriting as Andy's card... cool card though. Definitely don't tamper with the back... it looks cool with the writing.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Leave the writing alone!!! The only reason to have them graded would be to protest the cards from damage if you are handeling as SGC would most likely grade them as a poor 10 cards. I have all my cards graded for display but truthfully I really do not care what grade they are as long as they display well.
I wont mess with the writing. I didn't even think about using an eraser as altering them. Now I know. I would grade them mainly to have them in the holders for protection.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Grant Rainsley

I agree .......leave it, it is part of the story of the cards.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Jason Stricker

I wouldn't erase the text as it's part of the history of the cards.

Also, I wouldn't waste your money on grading these. Don't see the point given neither would grade high, unless you just like the look of a graded card. Even if you were trying to sell them, grading still doesn't make sense.

Neat cards; thanks for sharing.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
I wouldn't erase the text as it's part of the history of the cards.

Also, I wouldn't waste your money on grading these. Don't see the point given neither would grade high, unless you just like the look of a graded card. Even if you were trying to sell them, grading still doesn't make sense.

Neat cards; thanks for sharing.
I agree with Jason on all counts; leave the writing. Even if erased, the technical grade is going to be very low. Really no point in getting these graded at all IMHO.

Last edited by t206hound; 08-21-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Paul

I disagree. Buy a nice art eraser from Staples and gently erase the writing. It would not lower the the technical grade with either PSA or SGC. Most people on here do not consider erasing pencil or soaking glue with water off a T206 as an impermissible alteration. There was a poll on this not too long ago. PSA and SGC are also fine with both practices.

If you choose to sell them eventually, they'd be worth more with less obvious writing.

Either way, enjoy the cards!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Don't erase the writing!

I think the writing adds some cool provenance to the cards. Also, don't separate them if you can help it. I also agree that there's no point in grading them, unless you really like having your cards in uniform holders. If you decide to sell them, I'm interested.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I think the writing adds some cool provenance to the cards. Also, don't separate them if you can help it. I also agree that there's no point in grading them, unless you really like having your cards in uniform holders. If you decide to sell them, I'm interested.
I agree. Here are a few with pencil names on the FRONT. I know the story of these cards, and I know that those were the names of the boys that were trading them way back then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benz.JPG (51.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg bums.JPG (55.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg cicotte.jpg (73.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
George Gogol

Your cards are outstanding and I think the writing adds to them. I am biased, as I go out of my way to buy cards with rubber stamps or period writing. Let me know if you decide to move them. For now, enjoy your growing T206 collection!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG76 View Post
I would grade them mainly to have them in the holders for protection.
or put then in a penny-sleeve and top holder and use the grading fees saved to buy another T206. Unless you use your cards as dog-toys they will be protected.