NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default More about my Babe Ruth autographed photo:

Last weekend, I won a Babe Ruth autographed photo in the Oldin Auction. It was described as:

BABE RUTH Single Signed 4”x5” Photo – PSA/DNA GEM MT 10 (JSA)
Presented here is a stunning photograph signed by Babe Ruth. This vintage photograph shows the inimitable Yankees slugger standing with a group of nine women behind a stack of cardboard boxes. The Babe is beaming and clad in a jacket with a large “ALL AMERICANS” patch. This photograph measures 4 x 5 inches and it has been encapsulated by PSA/DNA. Ruth has signed this photograph in bold black steel-tip fountain pen. PSA/DNA have graded Ruth’s signature an impeccable GEM MT 10 (8411489), making this photograph an instant centerpiece in any baseball collection. Additionally, this photograph comes with a LOA from JSA (X75131).

By the way, where is the ninth woman?

I found what I presume is a copy of my photo in and earlier REA auction, described as:

Circa 1943 Babe Ruth Signed Photo
Babe Ruth was an American icon whose contributions to the country were not limited to his exploits on the field. This original candid wartime photo (4-7/8 x 4 inches) captures Babe Ruth standing in front of a pile of boxes, flanked on either side by group of women. Ruth has magnificently signed the photo in black fountain pen (grading "9") in the foreground. A vintage ink notation on the reverse reads, "Thoughts from Home pkgs, for men in service." This photograph captures Ruth, who is wearing a patriotic "All American" jacket, donating his time to a group of World War II volunteers who were sending care packages to servicemen overseas. The photo has a very minor tear in the upper left corner, as well as a number of light corner and border creases. Very Good condition overall. LOA from James Spence/JSA.

Can I assume that my photo is just an additional take from the same photo op and that the autograph is therefore legit?

Here is the Oldin followed by the REA:

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-06-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Far left, mostly obscured by a lady in the front.

Or, of course...in the boxes

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Doug Goodman

It looks like the same photo to me.

But the signatures are different, so there is no reason that he couldn't have signed two of them.

If we assume that the people who get paid for their opinions know what they are talking about, then they are both real.

Doug

PS - the 9th woman? Cut up and put in the boxes.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-06-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: murdered woman
Old 11-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
It looks like the same photo to me.

But the signatures are different, so there is no reason that he couldn't have signed two of them.

If we assume that the people who get paid for their opinions know what they are talking about, then they are both real.

Doug

PS - the 9th woman? Cut up and put in the boxes.
My photo shows a third window frame to the right...growing by 1/8 inch in the descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

I saw that 'mass' but either she doesn't have legs and is just hovering, or its something else like a shrub or a lion-type statuette.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 PM
keith janosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

First case of photo bomb
Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Bry@n

I can see everyone in the picture having gotten a photo printed and signed, so I see no reason why there can't be two (or more) of this. The one on the right was just trimmed down.

BTW - how long did it take to get photos printed back then? Whenever I see a signed photo with fans I wonder whether they hustled to get them printed and got them signed right away or whether they had to mail the picture to the player later.

Also, there is definitely a woman behind the woman on the far left. Check the left leg of the woman in front - there are two more legs behind hers - you can see the white sock on the obscured woman's left leg.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I can see everyone in the picture having gotten a photo printed and signed, so I see no reason why there can't be two (or more) of this. The one on the right was just trimmed down.

BTW - how long did it take to get photos printed back then? Whenever I see a signed photo with fans I wonder whether they hustled to get them printed and got them signed right away or whether they had to mail the picture to the player later.

Also, there is definitely a woman behind the woman on the far left. Check the left leg of the woman in front - there are two more legs behind hers - you can see the white sock on the obscured woman's left leg.
That's what I was thinking. Multiple people posing with him in the photo, so it would make sense for him to sign multiple copies for them.

They're pretty great images.

Last edited by drcy; 11-06-2018 at 11:43 PM.