NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Default Question: 1912 Boston Daily American Souvenir PCs

I recently acquired a 1912 Boston Daily American Souvenir postcard of Rabbit Maranville, what many believe is his rookie card (see scans below). Does anyone have examples of the other four players in this series, Forrest Cady, Ray Collins, Heinie Wagner, and Smoky Joe Wood? If so, please contact me with scans (mpeich@comcast.net), or post your scans in this thread.

As some of you know there is also a postcard series designated as 1912 Boston American Series of Red Sox players, a different version of the Boston Daily American Souvenir. On the back of the Boston American postcards is a three line statement that these are: Photos of / Noted Ball Players / Boston Sunday American Series. The back of my Maranville is blank.

I would like to learn more about the Boston Daily American Souvenirs, and examples of the other four players in the series would be a tremendous aid. Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maranville frt.jpg (74.0 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg Maranville bk.jpg (78.8 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by Michael Peich; 03-15-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I knew I had a scan of 1.....

funny thing is the Only scan I have is of the same exact card you now own with the stains on corner from being mounted in a postcard book, Ive had the scan in my library since Jan. 2007.

Sorry I couldnt help Nice card
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Thank you, Frank. You know how it is in this hobby--the same card can make the ownership rounds any number of times!

I'm still hoping someone will have the other players and send a scan. Not a peep so far.

Cheers, Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

well they are nearly impossible cards Mike! I just sent you an email.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Michael S

Yes, very crazy tough. I thought I owned one but no dice.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:16 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Was doing a little research today and came across this old thread. What a phenomenal postcard of Maranville.

Here are of scans of Boston Daily American Souvenir Postcards of Wood and Wagner. Unfortunately, neither are mine. I do not think that the Maranville comes from the same set. The designs are completely different, the cards are numbered and, AFAIK, the set only contains cards of Red Sox. Plus, the names of the publisher changed at some point from Boston Daily American Souvenir to Boston American Souvenir.

I have never seen another postcard with the same design as the Maranville. I tend to think that it was not part of a "set," rather Maranville was the only subject published.

I highly doubt that it is from 1912 as Maranville was with New Bedford for almost the entire year and did not play with the Boston Braves until September. My guess is that it is from 1914 when he was a starter for the Miracle Braves and finished 2nd in the MVP voting behind teammate Johnny Evers.

Plus, it would make sense that the first issue featuring Red Sox was issued in 1912 when they won the pennant and World Series and the second series featuring Maranville was released in 1914 when the Braves won the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wood.jpg (77.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Wagner.jpg (23.5 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 02-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.