NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-26-2022, 01:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you're the Angels and you know the rumors, aren't you going to demand proof of age before committing to a long term mega deal with Pujols?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:43 PM

Smile

I sure hope all the Angels, including Trout, enjoy watching Pujols in the play offs smashing Home Runs into the bleachers. 702 Home Runs and a 3rd WS Championship with the Cardinals would be a nice way to end his HOF career.

Pujols on the 62 format is great - I like it!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:01 PM
Al Richter

I am a Cardinals and Pujols fan but think 702 is a stretch. And not sure they have the pitching to stay with NY or LA, even if Flaherty and Matz return to form.

No one in baseball has pitched better than Montgomery over his last 4 games. but he can not really be that good, right Yankees fans ?
Old 08-26-2022, 03:37 PM

Cool

I was just dreaming big - and phishing to get Peter and the other Angel fans stirred up -

The way they're playing they could probably beat the Yankees with only Goldschmidt, Pujols and Nootbaar taking the field. Gorman could pitch I guess and DH. That's all they need.

I'll stick with 702 and the 3rd ring.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:51 PM
Bill Avery

A couple of my Pujols rookie cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (18).jpg (89.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (19).jpg (91.5 KB, 238 views)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:54 PM

Wink

Nice cards! I like the Gold version of the base.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If you're the Angels and you know the rumors, aren't you going to demand proof of age before committing to a long term mega deal with Pujols?
These documents often don’t exist in the Dominican Republic and other places, or are easily forged, or are created long after the fact. Proving age is difficult in much of the second and third world. That Pujols is probably older than he officially states is old news, and was floating around well before the Angels contract. (https://www.insider.com/albert-pujol...his-age-2021-3). It was a common joke when he was still a Cardinal.

One would think this would discourage the Angels. One would also think that Pujols wouldn’t get his age mixed up, as he has several times, if it was true. But then again Moreno doesn’t exactly make brilliant signings.

I don’t know if it is true; I don’t have access to relevant documentation that may be extant or to sources in the Dominican. But it’s not particularly uncommon, and it puts his career into the normal decline and fall if he his, as has long been suspected, a couple years older. I think it’s likely Pujols is just a bit older than he says, that there is nothing peculiar about his decline.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
These documents often don’t exist in the Dominican Republic and other places, or are easily forged, or are created long after the fact. Proving age is difficult in much of the second and third world. That Pujols is probably older than he officially states is old news, and was floating around well before the Angels contract. (https://www.insider.com/albert-pujol...his-age-2021-3). It was a common joke when he was still a Cardinal.

One would think this would discourage the Angels. One would also think that Pujols wouldn’t get his age mixed up, as he has several times, if it was true. But then again Moreno doesn’t exactly make brilliant signings.

I don’t know if it is true; I don’t have access to relevant documentation that may be extant or to sources in the Dominican. But it’s not particularly uncommon, and it puts his career into the normal decline and fall if he his, as has long been suspected, a couple years older. I think it’s likely Pujols is just a bit older than he says, that there is nothing peculiar about his decline.
If he's 43 or 44 now that's awfully damn old for anyone except maybe Julio Franco to still be playing and even semi productive. And it sure doesn't make the Angels look good, unless maybe the thought was they would get 3 or 4 really productive years out of it even if he was older than officially stated. It's also pretty unusual to be playing 10+ years in decline, no?

In hindsight the Cardinals made a brilliant move.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-26-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Matt

Default Rickey....

Rickey was still playing (30 games) at age 44 for the Dodgers and actually stole 3 bases that year without being caught......but Franco playing till he was 49 is just crazy.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Rickey was still playing (30 games) at age 44 for the Dodgers and actually stole 3 bases that year without being caught......but Franco playing till he was 49 is just crazy.
Franco is probably still playing somewhere.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If he's 43 or 44 now that's awfully damn old for anyone except maybe Julio Franco to still be playing and even semi productive. And it sure doesn't make the Angels look good, unless maybe the thought was they would get 3 or 4 really productive years out of it even if he was older than officially stated. It's also pretty unusual to be playing 10+ years in decline, no?

In hindsight the Cardinals made a brilliant move.
Yeah it’s unusual to play a decade in decline. If you’re a fan favorite legend getting paid $25M a year, it’s easier. Personally they should have cut him in 2018. These decade plus contracts usually do not work out well for the team.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:29 AM
Jacob

Hands down the most dominant player of the 2000's. Anybody watching and collecting at the time could tell you he was "the guy" to chase, similar to Jr. in the 90's. The Angels probably expected to get 4-5 years of remaining prime Pujols, but the fall-off came much sooner than expected. Regardless, baseball is defined by generational players and 2001-2010 belong to him. He was great for the sport at a time when it was reeling from PED scandals.

This is my only Pujols. Wanted an attractive on-card rookie auto I wouldn't need to mortgage a leg for a la the BCA. Probably the nicest autograph I've seen on a copy, too, as they were notorious for blistering/fading. I grew up reading Beckett magazine and remember this thing sitting on the "Hot List" for years at a time.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:22 AM

Nice card! The auto should have been a 10. Congrats.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:36 AM
Rob Miller

Last edited by Robextend; 08-27-2022 at 10:36 AM.