NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Al

Default what causes sharpie sigs to do this?

hey guys,
i was wondering what makes sharpie fade/skip like this signature does? does sharpie fade over time? i have seen tons of sharpie autograph signatures that seem to "skip" in the signature like this. (almost looks like the sharpie ran out of ink while signing) what causes signatures to look like this one? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Pressure of the sharpie usually would cause those streaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sharpie

Probably left cap off to long or did not warmup sharpie prior to use. I always use staedtler markers.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:22 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I have seen this before with his signature many times on pictures in sharpie and baseballs in ink . The problem is his "Y" is so long and drawn out that the sharpie or pen does not keep the same pressure on the picture or ball throughout the formation of the "Y" resulting in this signature quirk at times.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Al

thank you guys for your help with this and for the clarification. when i see autographs like this one, i always thought this meant that sharpies fades away over time. and i also have seen some sharpie"bleed" into the photo or postcard. so i appreciate you clearing that up for me.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Some sharpie markings do fade over time, especially the color ones. I had a photo signed display in my office that faded significantly due to the UV rays from the fluorescent lighting. Yet others don't. A secretarial Sean Connery I stupidly purchased has been on the wall in my office for 17 years without showing any signs of diminution.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-10-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Or the ink can't keep up with the speed of the signature being done
Old 09-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Or the ink can't keep up with the speed of the signature being done
That's the case here. This happens a lot with brand new sharpies that haven't been worn in a little. Whenever I grab a new sharpie, I break the tip in just a little by scribbling on the back of a checklist card or something. Once they get flowing you don't get this problem that much, but if someone signs fast (especially with lots of loops) and/or presses down hard on the pen while signing, they are more prone to streak. Also, sharpies will streak more on non-glossy cards that cards with a glossy finish.

Sharpie that fades doesn't usually look like the pen skips. The blue just turns into a muddled greyish-purplish color but the ink is still consistent throughout the signature.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Al

so is the group consensus, that sharpie DOES fade over time? thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 11:26 PM

I use a Sharpie for addressing packages. The only thing it's good for.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
That's the case here. This happens a lot with brand new sharpies that haven't been worn in a little. Whenever I grab a new sharpie, I break the tip in just a little by scribbling on the back of a checklist card or something. Once they get flowing you don't get this problem that much, but if someone signs fast (especially with lots of loops) and/or presses down hard on the pen while signing, they are more prone to streak. Also, sharpies will streak more on non-glossy cards that cards with a glossy finish.

Sharpie that fades doesn't usually look like the pen skips. The blue just turns into a muddled greyish-purplish color but the ink is still consistent throughout the signature.

Steadtler also streaks with loops. Most of the Frank Thomas HOF postcards signed with steadtler have a bit of streaking in the loop part of his signature.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
so is the group consensus, that sharpie DOES fade over time? thanks
No, they do NOT fade over time. They will fade if the surface of the item that was signed is porous (i.e., a baseball, which will allow the ink to continually bleed until the signature disappears) or if improperly stored and exposed to light. I have cards that were signed 30 years ago that still look as if they were just signed, and have never experienced a problem with sharpie magically fading away. The "streaking" problem you showed in the Yaz example is not the same thing as "fading." That Yaz looked like that the instant it was signed, the streak didn't appear over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Steadtler also streaks with loops. Most of the Frank Thomas HOF postcards signed with steadtler have a bit of streaking in the loop part of his signature.
In my experience Staedtlers streak far worse than Sharpies.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Al

i only ask because i have autographs signed in "blue" sharpie, from 15-20 years ago which the blue now looks like muddled greyish-purplish color. all stored in the dark out of sunlight.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Sharpies do "bleed" on certain types of photo paper. The "dry" photo paper being used by some labs seems to "bleed" more than other papers.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
i only ask because i have autographs signed in "blue" sharpie, from 15-20 years ago which the blue now looks like muddled greyish-purplish color. all stored in the dark out of sunlight.
Can't imagine how that happened. The first card I ever got signed back in the 80's looks exactly the same today as it did then. Can you post scans of the signatures you are referring to?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Al

i have a ton of them, ill try to get pics posted when i get a chance. whats even more weird is the very first autograph i ever got in sharpie back in the 1980's looks perfect still to this day! its weird how some cards fade and some dont.

i totally understand that with photo paper it bleeds, but cards are printed on the factory card stock shouldnt bleed./fade.