NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Michael I.

Default Is this Ruth real? JSA says yes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-BABE-R...item3aac501ced

This auction just posted and claims JSA certified it. Never seen a Ruth signed ball look like this. Looks like it was stamped with same ink as the ball itself. Would anyone else have a problem with this being authentic? Maybe its just the way its pictured. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth7.jpg (66.6 KB, 889 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Doesn't look good to me
Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM

Auction search shows it was sold by Hunt originally.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM
$teve O.

It looks stamped.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:30 PM

Those auction letters need to be taken with a grain of salt. Looks stamped.

Last edited by johnmh71; 06-17-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Kevin O'Gara

when I first saw it I thought it was stamped also just like the ball
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Personally, I have never had an issue with the seller and has some REALLY nice stuffQQQ
Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 AM
J@son.K

This is stamped on the ball...shame on JSA, if that's a real cert.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Bryan Dec

Default Ruth Ball

I am the seller of the ball listed on eBay. The signature is not stamped, and the leather used on this particular baseball is quite porous, causing any wear to the ink to flake, making some of you think it is stamped. I recently acquired the ball in trade from the original buyer from an old Hunt auction, and I just submitted the ball to JSA yesterday in-person. The ball was examined & confirmed that indeed, it is a live, real signature, and a full-service LOA is on the way. The new LOA will be posted to the eBay listing once we receive it.

Regards,
Bryan Dec

eBay seller JKAYMAC

810-664-1790
Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Kevin O'Gara

The lively model ball had the cheaper canvas type cover didn't it. Maybe that's why
Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecsports View Post
I recently acquired the ball in trade from the original buyer from an old Hunt auction, and I just submitted the ball to JSA yesterday in-person. The ball was examined & confirmed that indeed, it is a live, real signature, and a full-service LOA is on the way.
here's a picture of the authentication

Old 07-12-2015, 01:41 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I can read the Babe ok but the Ruth part of the signature looks strange to me even at a higher screen resolution . It may be real but I would pass on it for sure, regardless of the TPA letter. There are better ones available at possibly equal cost if you are patient .
Old 07-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I can read the Babe ok but the Ruth part of the signature looks strange to me even at a higher screen resolution . It may be real but I would pass on it for sure, regardless of the TPA letter. There are better ones available at possibly equal cost if you are patient .
And now we are trusting 15 year old kids to authenticate Ruth autographs? Wow the hobby is in danger!!! Still looks like a stamped autograph and would not buy. Maybe Babe Was the one who stamped it.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

While all you on the bandwagon jump high, I can tell you that I do not know a more honest and extremely knowledgeable sports memorabilia seller than Bryan Dec. He has been a full time seller for many years and I would trust him a hell of a lot more than most people on this board. I have done business with Bryan for years and he has been nothing but extremely honest. Bryan does not need JSA to tell him an autograph is real. If a mistake has been made, he would be the first to admit it and refund a persons money. Say what you want, but before you try to smear an honest person, you should know what the hell you are talking about. Jason
Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

nobody is smearing him, he brought it to jsa, and jsa called it real. if people dont like the sig, they can ask jsa why they thought it was good. otherwise why get a jsa cert?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

There is the distinct possibility that it is real. I know that may be hard to comprehend because of the immense amount of "experts" on the board.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
While all you on the bandwagon jump high, I can tell you that I do not know a more honest and extremely knowledgeable sports memorabilia seller than Bryan Dec. He has been a full time seller for many years and I would trust him a hell of a lot more than most people on this board. I have done business with Bryan for years and he has been nothing but extremely honest. Bryan does not need JSA to tell him an autograph is real. If a mistake has been made, he would be the first to admit it and refund a persons money. Say what you want, but before you try to smear an honest person, you should know what the hell you are talking about. Jason
I didn't see anybody bashing Bryan in this thread. From the picture provided the Babe Ruth auto ink looks exactly like the stamping on the rest of the ball to me. I have no opinion on the ball because I do not know anything about this part of collecting. I do like to read this section of the forum though.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Bryan Dec

Default Babe Ruth Ball - LOA UPDATED

As mentioned before, the auction-service JSA LOA was recently upgraded on this Ruth ball, and an image of the full-service JSA LOA has been added to the eBay listing, seller JKAYMAC.

Regards,
Bryan Dec

bdecsports.com
Old 07-20-2015, 01:12 PM

I am not a professional and have no opinion on anyone's reputation. This is solely an observation on the baseball:

If you look at the printed text on the sweetspot, the text has the same dot pattern in it that you then see in the signature. Regardless of authentication, I can't help but see the similarities between what is most definitely printed on the baseball vs what is said to be written onto it.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
here's a picture of the authentication

Chad,
Let us show some decorum here, that is the "director of authentication" that you are talking about .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

yep, many years of toiling as an intern, an assistant authenticator, an authenticator, a senior authenticator, finally paid off as a director of authentication, it shows it can be done if you put in the time and apply yourself over decades. One thing I learned, there are no shortcuts in this business.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-20-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Michael I.

Default Listed again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-SI...item5d5c7eaf04

Last edited by w7imel; 08-24-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 AM
Kevin O'Gara

And I still think its stamped
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM

I still don't see how you can differentiate between the printed stamping and the supposed written on signature. The stamping, along with the dot patterns in both the known stamp and supposed signature, look exactly the same to me. So if one is stamped the other is stamped.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Well, you could have looked at it in person and the National instead of "seeing" or "thinking". OR, you could have talked to Bryan yourself. I looked at the ball myself at the national and it is clearly different, but I guess you can have your own opinion.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Well I admit I didn't travel to Chicago to look at this one particular baseball. What I have available to me is the auction photo and my eyes. To you, the stamping isn't similar? You don't see the same dot pattern in the signature and stamp?

Last edited by packs; 08-24-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I didn't say it doesn't appear similar, it does at first glance. I know the seller and he is a very honest person and I would give him the benefit of the doubt and did. I also looked with my own eyes and it is different. I don't think there's an issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
...but I guess you can have your own opinion.
I applaud the refreshing change in Jason's way of thinking.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Did anyone else see the ball at the National? I am not saying anything about the seller's reputation or honesty, I'm curious about opinions on what looks to be stamped and what doesn't. I have been unable so far to find another example of the "Youth's Lively" baseball. I found a catalog as early as 1929 advertising them for sale, but there is only an artist rendering and not a complete view of the baseball.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You don't see the same dot pattern in the signature and stamp?
I am not offering an opinion on the authenticity of the signature. But the "dot pattern" is simply the grain of the leather. When the surface ink wears away, it still remains in the depressions. Thus, the dot pattern will be identical, and does not depend at all upon the way the ink was applied to the ball. Notice the dots in the Ruth signature below.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM
edward

The "Ruth" in the signature looks too sloppy to be stamped. Most of the Babe Ruth stamped signatures show every letter more clearly, don't they? The signature also shows signs of fading in parts of the lettering while the stamps on the ball are more even.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM

As far as I know, there are no Ruth rubber-stamped signatures. Anyone have a photo?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 PM
J@son.K

So, is there a way to have something printed on the leather versus "stamped"? I also think this Ruth is not a real signature because of the size. Doesn't the signature appear to be small compared to the usual way Ruth signed? Unless this is a large ball.....that signature appears rather small and compact, which is why it seems printed or stamped on there.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I applaud the refreshing change in Jason's way of thinking.
It's really a shame we didn't get to meet in person at the national.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
It's really a shame we didn't get to meet in person at the national.
It really is. I hear you are pretty much just the same in real life.