NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default Glass Plate Negatives Value?

Anybody know anything about the value of these? Henry Yee is auctioning off some pre war baseball glass plate negatives and I asked him about them and he told me to look them up on wikipedia
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
Anybody know anything about the value of these? Henry Yee is auctioning off some pre war baseball glass plate negatives and I asked him about them and he told me to look them up on wikipedia
I like the fact that they can't be trimmed.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Value, as with most things, depends on the subject and condition/clarity.
Legendary has auctioned several over the past couple of years. You could check out their archives.
I personally think they are often undervalued. They are extremely delicate, remember they are made of glass. I also think they are really special since at one point in time the glass negative was within a few feet of it's subject. Not very many pieces of our treasures and valuable cardboard can argue that it was ever within that type of proximity of it's subject.

I only own one. Waner in 1932. It has the original filing envelope and notes from The Herald. Picture is showing it held up to the light.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephus View Post
I also think they are really special since at one point in time the glass negative was within a few feet of it's subject. Not very many pieces of our treasures and valuable cardboard can argue that it was ever within that type of proximity of it's subject.
I agree that the glass being on the field with the player is pretty special. I am certainly persuaded by the concept of having the treasures I collect come within a close proximity of their subject -- which is why I still get a charge every time I hold one of my signed T206 cards. "Hello Tommie!"

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Ephus is correct.

As a general class, glass plate negatives are valuable. The preceed the film ones.

I've broken two Stanford football ones by dropping them on the floor. They're little but thick panes of glass.

If you're a team collector, or whatever, it would be neat to have one.

Last edited by drc; 12-08-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Ephus is correct.

As a general class, glass plate negatives are valuable. The preceed the film ones.

I've broken two Stanford football ones by dropping them on the floor. They're little but thick panes of glass.

If you're a team collector, or whatever, it would be neat to have one.

Funny. Awhile back I won a group of 5x7 glass negs of boxers on Ebay. They were smashed by the time they got to me.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephus View Post

I only own one. Waner in 1932. It has the original filing envelope and notes from The Herald. Picture is showing it held up to the light.
I'm not sure if you've ever seen your Waner with the negative reversed, but here it is....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg November22008424.jpg (32.8 KB, 111 views)