NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Help IDing Gehrig Bust

Hi All:

Anyone ever seen or have info on the below Gehrig bust?

It is about 18" high and 18" wide.

I see no markings

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Sorry can't figure out how to make the photos straight. It shows straight on my computer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrig bust.jpg (16.2 KB, 264 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Default how much?

how much?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Fred-

It is from the 1940s. There was a dated trophy awarded to Joe Sewell with this same huge Gehrig Bust. I have the bust portion without the trophy. The bust is rare, and is a stand-alone piece. So someone simply mounted it to a base with a dated Placard, to create the trophy that was originally presented to Sewell.

Yours is the fourth I’ve seen in the past 30 years. There is mine, yours, the Sewell Trophy version, and another that sold via Hunt Auctions a few years back.

It should be noted that yours is painted, and this is not original to the piece. In my opinion, it is far more attractive with the original simple bronze finish. I would post a pic of mine, but am sure that the image would appear sideways. I’ve pretty much stopped posting pics for that reason.

You can email me if you want to see what the bust looks like in its original state. If you prefer the original, I bet it’s possible to strip off the new/existing paint. Mike Hoevet posted a nice thread about this process prior to his passing. His example involved one of those 1800s Lamp Bases. Perhaps you can use the search function to see what product and procedure he utilized. I believe many people found it to be helpful.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Found an earlier image of mine. Perhaps it will post straight. If not, I won’t waste time trying to fix it. Anyway, here it is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F282D87-3C85-4F35-B5BC-E0B0F5D5D31F.jpg (9.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Okay, not to take the thread too far off-track, but I noticed something with regard to the 'problem' images people are talking about. They seem to appear in boxes with the phrase "Attached Images" showing in the top left. That shouldn't be the case.

For instance, I uploaded this random Pete Rose scan. When posting (THIS IS IMPORTANT), I clicked on the paper clip icon and selected the Rose, putting it exactly where I wanted it in this post. As you can see, it's in the body of the message and not in a separate box at the bottom. For the heckuva it, I also uploaded a random 1969 Perry pic and did nothing with it (didn't select it via the paperclip icon). That pic now appears in the dreaded "Attached Images" box at bottom (see below).

1972rose559.jpg

If I had to guess, here is a solution. When you're uploading an image, take an active role and BE SURE TO actually put it in the body of your post via the paper clip icon. Even if you're simply posting a picture in a thread, make sure you actually insert it into your post. See this pic:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.08.10 PM.jpg

Don't simply upload a pic and do nothing with it. By default, it seems, it will simply be added to the bottom of your post in said "Attached Images" box, and then it won't be oriented correctly, etc. It's kinda like keeping a bunch of junk in your car trunk.

Lastly, if you're not using pics you have uploaded, hit "Remove" in the "Manage Attachments" box to ensure they don't unnecessarily appear at bottom. (That is what I would've normally done with the superfluous Perry pic.)

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969perry485partiallyobscurednumber.jpg (78.7 KB, 137 views)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Also I have found that when you scan the pictures into your computer you sometimes have to edit it to show the right orientation and then resave it and they load just fine...
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

and back to the bust - cool in the bronze!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the info and posting the photo of your bronze bust.
I am not sure mine has been repainted over the bronze if that is what you meant.

Please see the photo of the bottom of my bust. I would assume that if it had been painted over the bronze the bottom would not have been painted,
and the bottom looks original to me.

Does the bottom of your bust look like mine?

Hope to see you in Cleveland this summer.

Best,

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Fred-

It is from the 1940s. There was a dated trophy awarded to Joe Sewell with this same huge Gehrig Bust. I have the bust portion without the trophy. The bust is rare, and is a stand-alone piece. So someone simply mounted it to a base with a dated Placard, to create the trophy that was originally presented to Sewell.

Yours is the fourth I’ve seen in the past 30 years. There is mine, yours, the Sewell Trophy version, and another that sold via Hunt Auctions a few years back.

It should be noted that yours is painted, and this is not original to the piece. In my opinion, it is far more attractive with the original simple bronze finish. I would post a pic of mine, but am sure that the image would appear sideways. I’ve pretty much stopped posting pics for that reason.

You can email me if you want to see what the bust looks like in its original state. If you prefer the original, I bet it’s possible to strip off the new/existing paint. Mike Hoevet posted a nice thread about this process prior to his passing. His example involved one of those 1800s Lamp Bases. Perhaps you can use the search function to see what product and procedure he utilized. I believe many people found it to be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (66.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That definitely sheds a new light on it, Fred. It looks like that is original ceramic indeed. So I would speculate the answer is one of two things....

Perhaps the same mold was used for both a ceramic and a bronze version of this Bust. Maybe they were sold both ways, and the customer could simply choose his preference.

It's also possible that a later cast was made from the original Bronze, and that a ceramic version was subsequently created from that cast. A pretty common practice, recreating figural pieces.

I think the first scenario is the far more likely of the two. But either way, I no longer feel that your version is a repainted bronze. Perhaps someone else here has more info.