NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-06-2018, 01:07 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Lot 72

If anyone won lot 72 (Conlons), please DM me. Thanks
Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Fred

Lot 20 - Cabinets.

The Tiernan Hall cabinet (N338 image) was sold in a Heritage auction for over $7K about a dozen years ago. It ends up in this auction and sells for less than 33% of the Heritage final hammer and this lot had an N566 and two other cabinets with it. Someone take a huge bath on this?

If anyone picked up Lot 132 (19th C letters) and wants to sell anything, please let me know.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Original Museum:

https://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/
Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
This was the third and last sale of that closed museum (maybe never open?) stuff. Felt like a yard sale. You want a glass? Take this box of 20 off my hands. Can't believe they were selling stacks of photos and letters without even describing much of it.

I am sure there is little that go unnoticed at the end of the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some nice surprises lurking. Probably some disappointments as well.
I know...it was amazing. Like I said in an earlier post, right now I really can't buy much for business (or myself) due to our house being built. If it wasn't for the house, I would've been a lot more aggressive in the photos and documents. I did manage to land 3 or 4 lots on both days. I am especially eager to root through the Coveleski scrapbook and Wilmer Fields collection. I did not request photos on either lot and placed my bids on what was described and what I saw. I am intrigued by who the letters are from in the Fields lot.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Craig L.

Default Posted this on card by mistake

I was recently the under bidder on an item in the recent Christie's Auction. The item was an 1867 baseball challenge letter from Keokuk Iowa. I'm hoping that someone on this board was the winner of this item and if so can they please contact me?

Would also love to hear how everyone else came out in this auction.

Have a great one,
Craig
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Interested in the Paul Thompson Chief Meyers Photo

If anyone was fortunate enough to win Lot 66, I'd be very interested in purchasing the Chief Meyers photo in that lot.

Thanks,

Patrick McMenemy
a.k.a vintagecatcher
Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 PM

It’s a shame to use my 2000th post on such a dumb thing, but oh well.

I was high bidder on a (very cool) item in Christie’s Auction, as of 4 hours prior to closing today...I had my settings set to notify me if outbid...ok cool, no issues, right?

Well, at 11:15am I get an email from them that the lot closed and I lost it to a higher bid...but I never got an outbid notification! I would’ve certainly gone higher. So I called and spoke to someone who sounded less than knowledgeable about their auction process, so they put me on hold...They came back after a few mins to say that it was an IT glitch and they were sorry. They said they'll ask to see how this can be resolved...clearly the winning bidder isn't giving the item up, so just a real unfortunate event. And I really wanted the item, too.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-06-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Al Jurgela

Default I got...

Quite a few lots. Love the Mexican broadsides and the DiHigo Lot as well as the nice Dihigo photo and the lot with the Gibson photos. Would have loved the Trujillo broadside and the lot with the Kellogg’s postcards (especially the Lazaro Salazar) and the Mexican album. Pretty happy though. Some of my best bargains of the year.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Interesting to see the non-sports Christie's photograph auction that also ended today realize a price 6 times higher than the sports auction on less number of lots.

Our hobby is cheap in comparison.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Interesting to see the non-sports Christie's photograph auction that also ended today realize a price 6 times higher than the sports auction on less number of lots.

Our hobby is cheap in comparison.
Apples and oranges Jeff. Mapplethorpe and Ansel Adams photo's et.al. each treated with respect, given their own lot and not randomly thrown together lots with almost no pictures. That being said, I agree, who among us wouldn't like more photo's of a naked woman taking a bath in a basin!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

If anyone here won the contract lot, 149, I'm interested in a few of the lesser ones.

Ken
Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM
David McDonald

Hope Christies stays out of the baseball business going forward. This was Storage Wars not a proper auction. Probably some amazing items lurking in the dark corners but I found the presentation completely exasperating.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Hope Christies stays out of the baseball business going forward. This was Storage Wars not a proper auction. Probably some amazing items lurking in the dark corners but I found the presentation completely exasperating.
Having spent an hour there on Monday looking through the photo lots, what you just said is a vast understatement! I was stunned. Fantastic stuff that was not only not pictured in the lots but not even mentioned in the descriptions.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:58 PM

As per my previous post, I'm very disappointed in how they operate their auctions (saying I didn't get outbid notice due to an IT glitch is just ridiculous).

Anyway...if whoever won Lot 153 (WALTER O’MALLEY LETTER REGARDING BROOKLYN DODGERS RELOCATION), is a member here, I'd love to chat regarding a possible quick (profitable) flip.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Fred

As a bidder, I like the Christie's auctions because it appears a lot of the material is going cheaper than it would have if it were in an REA or Heritage auction. Not saying the other auction houses are not worthy of mention.

I'll have to remember to treat these auctions like an ebay auction without a snipe program. One thing I do like is that they close the lots at a specific time and will only add 3 minutes each time the bid is topped.

If anyone won the 19th C lot of letters (lot 132), then please let me know if you are going to sell part of it.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
It’s a shame to use my 2000th post on such a dumb thing, but oh well.

I was high bidder on a (very cool) item in Christie’s Auction, as of 4 hours prior to closing today...I had my settings set to notify me if outbid...ok cool, no issues, right?

Well, at 11:15am I get an email from them that the lot closed and I lost it to a higher bid...but I never got an outbid notification! I would’ve certainly gone higher. So I called and spoke to someone who sounded less than knowledgeable about their auction process, so they put me on hold...They came back after a few mins to say that it was an IT glitch and they were sorry. They said they'll ask to see how this can be resolved...clearly the winning bidder isn't giving the item up, so just a real unfortunate event. And I really wanted the item, too.
i feel for you. about 10 years ago a similar thing happened to a friend of my step-brother on a watch he was bidding on in a fine time pieces and cigar auction held by an auction house in LA. as he got more experience dealing with different auction houses, he became more knowledgeable about which ones he can depend on for things like this. as painful as this is, chalk it up to a learning experience. i hope this has a happy ending for you.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Got outbid on 149 & 172. With the Jewish holiday I was offline for the auction and couldn’t bid higher (would have gone stronger on 172).

If anyone here won the 1937 scorecards id love to deal for a couple.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:24 PM

I'd be interested in a couple of items from lots 131 and 132, if the winner is interested in letting a few go.