NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Default eBay live auctions...

Posted By: Kyle

Hey Everyone,

I was watching the two following auction on eBay live, both were supposed to end around 10pm tonight. When I checked 15 mins ago, they were all closed. I'm guessing that if you bid a certain amount set my the seller its your automatically? I'm slightly confused considering it still says the auction date is 8pm PDT.

Some cool items too: '29 Exhibit Stamps Ruth, '20s Managers PC Ruth, 1905 Giants PC, etc...

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=330009963346&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=330009963296&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT#la-image-2

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Hey Kyle,

Yes I won both those lots including many others. I HATE Ebay live as you have no ideal when they will be going off and you can NOT put a snipe bid in on them. Jackson's is a little behind times in auctions in my mind where they are old fashion having girls waiting by the phone and having a live auctioneer with a gable in his hand.

JC

Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I would have been outbig anyway, but great purchases! Seemed like they had some awesome stuff up!

Congrats!
-Kyle-

Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

JC, I think you've been reading too many of Sean's posts. Just what is a gabel? :-p I think you meant gavel

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

A gable is someting that I would use, but would find hard to hold in my hand. A gavel could be used to build a gable, or as Jay says, end an auction as JC has done successfully on these items.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

The live auction tme listed is when the actual live (in-person) auction starts. The Ebay portion of the live auction ends at least 6 hours before then.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I too was watching the auctions and saw many postcard lots. Anyone see the final hammer prices on the Rose PC760? Unreal I thought. Not including the 22% buyer fee. 3 different cards. $900, $450 and $425. $1100 for a Flaherty seemed a bit steep to me. I was going to bid, but woulda got blown out of the water. The 1905 Greetings Giants lot went a bit higher than I expected. Not Knowing and not being able to see the other 4 cards in it $475.00 seemed steep also. I know Leon had one of these last year and I picked one up also at that time. Joe

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

That was my first experience with eBay live. Extremely annoying. I must have had the bloody screen up for 3 hours, and then had a meeting and missed the stuff I wanted. No worries, I would have gotten blown out on the Rose postcards also.

Glad you did well JC.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

This whole registration thing is for the birds. I must have signed up 10x for the auction over the last week and still could never get a bid in there because my status was pending. IMHO Ebay should require that all live auctioneers respond with bidder qualifications within 24 hours under penalty of having their auctions removed from the system.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I would like to say that the "b" and the "v" key are right next to each other on the keyboard and that is why the mis-spelling happend... I'd like to say that.. LOL

The Flaherty is the first one I have seen. I have been following these for a long time and never seen that one. Not a surprise to see the prices on them. Postcards are on the rise as Caramel cards were two years ago. Rose cards are one of the nicest designs of all postcards from that era.

I think people who won some of the big lots will make out fine. Many times they do not do a good job in desribing what is in the lot. Many treasures might come in the box! Remeber the old Hunt auctions!!!!!!

JC

Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I've noticed a couple of ebay live auctions where the times were listed as PM, when the auction was actually in the AM, meaning the auction occured 12 hours before the time listed.

One other thing that actually happened to me was in a Heritage Sports auction earlier this spring. I bid $100 on a 1933 Goudey Premium of Babe Ruth. I clicked the bid button about a second or two before a floor bid went in for $550. Problem was the auctioneer recognized the floor bid BEFORE mine, causing my ebay bid to go in as $600. I was then declared the winner since the other bidder dropped out.

I immediately called Heritage and explained the situation, and followed up with an email. Luckily, Heritage was extremely understanding and cancelled my bid. They then contacted the other bidder, who took the item.

Steve