NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 PM
John Wondowski

Default Box of Twenty

Could anybody do this? The theory is that you collect 20 and only 20 cards. Over your collecting life you may rotate. These cards are the essence of baseball cards for you - rare or nostalgic or classic or aesthetic or .............anything you want. Price is meaningless and actually, so is sport - throw in football, hockey, basketball, curling. What is meaningful is the connection you have with the card. Sometimes it just happens when you see it. Sometimes it's a long-treasured common or that one card that just gets you.

My number one card is the 1967 Topps Al Kaline. As a six-year old in Detroit, he was the man. And yes, as a six-year old I was allowed to roam the neighborhood with my buddies talking Tigers and trading cards. I was introduced to baseball cards that year. Never understood why, after the third series, he never showed up in the packs.

Also included is the T202 Cobb/ Jennings 1951 Bowman Mays, 1956 Topps Clemente, N43 Ewing, 1967 Topps #215, 1990 Donruss Delucia, N150 Sullivan, and many more.

What ya think?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would find that impossible, but forced to some not so obvious cards might make the cut just because I like them so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holly59(blue).jpg (49.9 KB, 838 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think limiting my collection to some random number would kill a lot of the joy of collecting. Maybe I want 21 cards. Or 121.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Richard A.

In concept, it's a great idea. There have been threads on this board about it, with assorted variations. 30 cards, 50 cards, grow the number once a year on your birthday, etc.

And it's fun to think about what that list might be.

But in practice, for me at least, it's too tough to commit to getting rid of some cards. I settled on a very focused player collection *instead* of a set number card collection because I know I can't keep it to only 20 (or 30 or 50) cards.

I've gotta believe that anyone that succeeds at doing it would have one cool collection -- not just b/c of value or rarity, but because they'd have a great story for each card, too.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Bill

I only need one. A T227 Baker. Done.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I recently forced myself to rank my top 20. It was both fun and excruciating. I love the idea, but I think the fewest I could do is 50.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 PM

However many cards we actually have currently, plus the next one, is the very least we could stand having.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I think that limiting your collection to only cards that you truly love is a good idea. Sure we all love our cards, but I bet if you think about it, you have a bunch of cards you could live without, or cards that have flaws that you focus on every time you look at it. Then you fear that selling it would leave a hole in your collection that you think you can't fill right way, so you keep it. Selling those types of cards is extremely liberating, plus it adds up big time and you can afford a few cards you really do love. So maybe the answer isn't limiting it to a certain number so much as to cards you 100% love.

Last edited by orly57; 04-13-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I think that limiting your collection to only cards that you truly love is a good idea. Sure we all love our cards, but I bet if you think about it, you have a bunch of cards you could live without, or cards that have flaws that you focus on every time you look at it. Then you fear that selling it would leave a hole in your collection that you think you can't fill right way, so you keep it. Selling those types of cards is extremely liberating, plus it adds up big time and you can afford a few cards you really do love. So maybe the answer isn't limiting it to a certain number so much as to cards you 100% love.
A few years back, I adopted exactly this mindset. I had been trying to complete sets, and in the process had accumulated some filler type cards that didn't bring me any joy. Nowadays, I don't care how many cards I have, just that I love each one. It would be very tough and not enjoyable for me to get down to 20.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 AM
Eric
Eric

My wife would be all for it.
I don’t think I could do it.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:08 AM
Alex Tymchuk

Default Box of 20

I would have to include my 1910 Dixie Queen boxing set as 1 card... lol... and another must have would be the 1931 Walt Disney & Mickey Mouse card European issue... not expensive just very cool... just picked up a cool T206 PSA 1.5 Red Cobb Lenox back that would go in there!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Disney Mickey.jpg (8.0 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb Lenox.jpg (78.3 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb Lenox Back.jpg (78.1 KB, 456 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Eric
Eric

Wow! That Cobb! I think that is worthy of inclusion!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcards View Post
I would have to include my 1910 Dixie Queen boxing set as 1 card... lol... and another must have would be the 1931 Walt Disney & Mickey Mouse card European issue... not expensive just very cool... just picked up a cool T206 PSA 1.5 Red Cobb Lenox back that would go in there!!!
That was a great price on the Lenox Alex.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
That was a great price on the Lenox Alex.
I saw it too....very nice.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

I am trying to do this with my soccer card collection - limiting the number of items allows me to appreciate each one more and put my funds into upgrades.

I am also limiting myself to 2 hockey card sets and that seems to be working out. I spend more time enjoying and upgrading the ones I have than trying to add to others.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
Could anybody do this? The theory is that you collect 20 and only 20 cards. Over your collecting life you may rotate. These cards are the essence of baseball cards for you - rare or nostalgic or classic or aesthetic or .............anything you want. Price is meaningless and actually, so is sport - throw in football, hockey, basketball, curling. What is meaningful is the connection you have with the card. Sometimes it just happens when you see it. Sometimes it's a long-treasured common or that one card that just gets you.

My number one card is the 1967 Topps Al Kaline. As a six-year old in Detroit, he was the man. And yes, as a six-year old I was allowed to roam the neighborhood with my buddies talking Tigers and trading cards. I was introduced to baseball cards that year. Never understood why, after the third series, he never showed up in the packs.

Also included is the T202 Cobb/ Jennings 1951 Bowman Mays, 1956 Topps Clemente, N43 Ewing, 1967 Topps #215, 1990 Donruss Delucia, N150 Sullivan, and many more.

What ya think?
At this juncture in collecting I don't think I can do it. Maybe later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Py95scrappsbennett.jpg (31.4 KB, 339 views)
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Reduce yes. To 20? No. But maybe...

I certainly want to reduce the number of cards I have. Phases of my 40 years of collecting have come and gone and I would like to clear out a lot of the bulk junk I have that I no longer enjoy. 20 cards in my entire collection wouldn’t be any fun either. I enjoy set collecting and a 20 card limit would not work. I’m intrigued by the idea of a 20 card showcase though. I think I could enjoy that.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 PM

I think you nailed it, Orlando (Luke, too.)

Although I've increased the date range of what I collect (from Pre-WWII to Pre-1958,) the total number of cards in my collection has decreased. I've kept only the cards I truly enjoy having. Limiting myself to 20 may be an issue, however.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:07 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I think I could probably get it down to a few hundred but not 20.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Tom Boblitt

Trying to stay in the few hundred thousand range. Finding it difficult.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope, can't do it. I can't even get it down to one item per subject. That said, there are a few items on my no-trade list:

That said, if someone offered me a crazy payment or trade, say a 1952 Topps Mantle for the Marciano RC salesman sample, I would make the deal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
trying to stay in the few hundred thousand range. Finding it difficult.
lol....
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM
lu.c@s

I'm pursuing a version of this. I hadn't collected anything in decades and decided to sell the handful of nice cards I'd managed to acquire as a kid to start collecting a playing career-era card for each of the first 5 HOFers. Since then, I've picked up a T206 Mathewson portrait (Piedmont 150), a T206 Johnson profile (Polar Bear), and a T206 Cobb bat off (Sweet Caporal). I'm not sure what I'll do after I get a Wagner and a Ruth, and I don't plan to limit the collection to any specific number of cards, but it will probably always be small, and I want each card to be cool and notable.

I did keep one card for sentimental reasons - a signed 1965 Topps Colavito, which Rocky signed for me in the 1990s because we got our hair cut at the same barber.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Bob Donaldson

Maybe I could do a version of this. I love to collect sets, in lower grade, as that's the only way to afford them. Perhaps I would augment my sets with a # of nicer cards (likely duplicating the lesser cards I have in my set binder)

Hmm,I think whatever number I start with, I'll end up increasing over the years :-)

Nevermind
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutton Chop Yaz View Post
I'm pursuing a version of this. I hadn't collected anything in decades and decided to sell the handful of nice cards I'd managed to acquire as a kid to start collecting a playing career-era card for each of the first 5 HOFers. Since then, I've picked up a T206 Mathewson portrait (Piedmont 150), a T206 Johnson profile (Polar Bear), and a T206 Cobb bat off (Sweet Caporal). I'm not sure what I'll do after I get a Wagner and a Ruth, and I don't plan to limit the collection to any specific number of cards, but it will probably always be small, and I want each card to be cool and notable.

I did keep one card for sentimental reasons - a signed 1965 Topps Colavito, which Rocky signed for me in the 1990s because we got our hair cut at the same barber.
That’s a good idea for a collection
Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 AM
lu.c@s

^ Thanks! It's been fun so far.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Default No trade group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Nope, can't do it. I can't even get it down to one item per subject. That said, there are a few items on my no-trade list:

That said, if someone offered me a crazy payment or trade, say a 1952 Topps Mantle for the Marciano RC salesman sample, I would make the deal.

Looking at your "no trade" group is quite a treat!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 AM
John Wondowski

Complete discolsure: I usually have my "Box of Twenty" separate from another segment of my collection. For instance I am working on a T202 back run for all Cobbs AND I have a box of eight right now.

I missed out last night on a card I really wanted to add to my Box 20 collection - 1951 Mays in Heritage. Just could not pull the trigger, but it looks beautiful!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Mays.jpg (58.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:55 AM
pete ullman

no...i've also tried/considered this...and ended up with my miller run being 1 card...my ruths being 1 card...my cobbs being 1 card, etc!!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:59 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have thought, even if only briefly, about limiting myself to the 1970s decade. It was when I was a boy and when I will always remember virtually all the players. It is not an endless amount of stuff, but there's plenty to work on and always some odd regional you didn't know about.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Here is a twist that may make this exercise a little less painful for some of you. Ha ha

Create your own Tiered HOF Pyramid (create one for each sport, era, or whatever if that makes you feel better)... The top tier (Apex, Tier 1, Tier A - Name it as you wish) can include only 20 cards. Which cards do you "elect" to that tier. Cards you currently own or have an eye on. Think in terms of monetary value, sentimental value, favorite player, or whatever. It is your Card HOF.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Adam

Jack and I both owned that ringside ad panel at different times. Very cool item.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM

This would be my list, but I would want to sprinkle a few cards from the 1956-75 period for nostalgia's sake.

T206 Wagner
T206 Plank
Cobb/Cobb back
T205 Johnson
T205 Young
1914 CJ Mathewson
1914 CJ Jackson
M101-4/5 Ruth
1925 Exhibit Gehrig
1933 Goudey Lajoie
1939 Play Ball Williams
1941 Play Ball DiMaggio
1948 Bowman Musial
1949 Leaf Robinson
1949 Leaf Paige
1951 Bowman Mays
1952 Topps Mantle
1954 Topps Aaron
1955 Topps Clemente
1955 Topps Koufax
Old 04-29-2018, 09:12 PM
Er1k Greeń.w00d

I love this thread.

I have thought quite a bit about further limiting the scope and scale of my collection. I don't think I could get anywhere near 20, perhaps 5,000. I have been a set collector, HOF collector, type collector and player collector over the last 35+ years.

Erik Greenwood