NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Default Coke cap confusion?

Reviving this as I have picked up a few more and am now confused. I have re-read all the posts on my Need 1966 Coke All Star checklist but still am confused. I presume some checklists are either wrong or I don't understand,sorry.
The Coke NFL All Stars Saver sheet says 1965 and has, for example, C37 listed as Ryan. The two checklists I have list the 1965 Coke Caps All-Stars NFL C37 as Sonny Jurgensen. I understand CowboysGuide's "It's says "1965 NFL All Star Team affiliation shown on this sheet" because these are the All Stars from the previous season. The '66 All Stars were not on this sheet because the season had not been played yet. The '65 & '64 sheets have that notation for the previous season also." makes sense but then the two checklists I use are wrong, correct? They would also be wrong for all the NFL All Star teams? Does the hobby consider the 1966 Coke All Stars those that belong on the 1965 Coke Saver sheet?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Thanks to members of this board, I have solved this mystery but have another question.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the 64 Coke All Stars NFL and the 64 Coke National NFL. I have figured out that Wade (big head) is definitely a National NFL since he doesn't show on the All Stars list. I have Wilson, Lynch and Shofner with what I think are small heads and Gregg,Mitchell Shofner and Tittle with what I think are big heads. Is this the way to tell the difference? Are the big heads National NFL and the small head All Stars NFL?
Thanks.
Jim
Old 08-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I researched the 1964 Coke football bottle caps extensively. Football Coke BottIe Caps on Facebook is probably one of the more knowledgeable people on this. He said there were at least three different coverings of the images (plastic ring, white foam and cork) and they were produced in at least three different places, two in Wisconsin and one someplace else. I determined that there is no connection between the Big Head and Small Head and the NFL All-Star and NFL National checklists. I thought at first the Big Head were for the NFL National checklist but then found Bill George as both a Small Head and a Big Head. Since he is not listed on the NFL National check list my theory was proven wrong. I have determined that, like other years, the Coke Saver Sheets were made up and then the Coke caps produced. The only thing this did was, for the collector who wants a “complete set of 1964 Coke football caps”, they have a very large collection to go for since there are at least three different coverings and they were produced in at least three different places and there are both Big and Small heads.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Photo examples?

Thanks for sharing these tips and the FB Group tip.

I've found the Coke Caps confusing too, so I haven't focused on these two much, and are a gaping hole in my collection that I hope to eventually fill. I was hoping someone had already cataloged all the nuances of this set, and was just waiting to stumble on it. Sounds like that day has come.

Any chance you can share some photo examples like

1. What the 3 different coverings look like? (plastic, cork, and foam?)
2. Big head vs small head variations side-by-side?
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Please disregard my question. I took a moment to check out the FB group, and there are photo samples of my questions posted in the comments of the group's August 5th posting.

Thanks again for sharing that group!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

You are most welcome. I have got a lot of good info off this site so am always glad to share when I find something out.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

One thing that may simplify things. From what I've seen, and I don't have anywhere near as many caps as others, is that the lining is consistent for each bottling plant.
For example, and I'm using baseball because that's what I have the most of, if say the bottling plant is Boston, Lynn all the caps from that plant have the same liner. If it's Boston, Braintree the liner may be different, but all the ones from that plant will be the same. (With a very few exceptions, I have one from a plant that usually has a clear liner but it's got a heavy blue tint. It appears original, but I'm not 100% certain it isn't stained from something.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
One thing that may simplify things. From what I've seen, and I don't have anywhere near as many caps as others, is that the lining is consistent for each bottling plant.

For example, and I'm using baseball because that's what I have the most of, if say the bottling plant is Boston, Lynn all the caps from that plant have the same liner. If it's Boston, Braintree the liner may be different, but all the ones from that plant will be the same. (With a very few exceptions, I have one from a plant that usually has a clear liner but it's got a heavy blue tint. It appears original, but I'm not 100% certain it isn't stained from something.

FYI- the FB Coke Caps run from 1963-66, not 1964. So far, only the Chargers have surfaced. They have a blue tint to them. I offered a few in an earlier post over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

According to all the checklists I have see the AFL has 1964 All Star caps distributed in AFL cities and a Charger cap issued in Southern California. The NFL in 1964 had All Stars NFL plus some cities. There were no 1963 caps issued as far as I know. Again FB Coke Bottle cap Facebook knows a lot more than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
FYI- the FB Coke Caps run from 1963-66, not 1964. So far, only the Chargers have surfaced. They have a blue tint to them. I offered a few in an earlier post over a year ago.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
According to all the checklists I have see the AFL has 1964 All Star caps distributed in AFL cities and a Charger cap issued in Southern California. The NFL in 1964 had All Stars NFL plus some cities. There were no 1963 caps issued as far as I know. Again FB Coke Bottle cap Facebook knows a lot more than I do.

Look in a large recent Beckett FB guide. There were 36 Charger caps issued in 1963. Blue Tint position and jersey number at the bottom of the cap. Hugh “Bones” Taylor was an assistant coach only in 1963. I bought them from the original owner who collected them. FB Coke Bottle Cap Facebook is unaware.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Thanks, the last FB Guide I have is from 2003. I am always glad to learn something new. Appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Carl Lamendola

Here’s the note he sent me.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I knew he was one of the best with Coke caps. thanks.