NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 PM
David Ribbens

Default 1956 Topps Football interest ?

Looking at purchasing a near set of 1956 Topps Football cards, looking for input from collectors of this set - good bad and ugly parts of collecting this set.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Sam Lemoine

I really can't say anything bad about the set. It is relatively small and very affordable. The Cardinals and Redskins will cost you more than the other teams, but it isn't like they are awful or anything. There aren't any expensive rookies in the set either. You can build a nice Ex/Ex-Mt set for $500-$750 fairly easily. If you are hung up on stars, it is in a spot where it just misses having guys like Baugh, Unitas, and Starr. So I guess that's a negative, but there are so many other great guys that it is perfectly ok. And considering that it is Topps first NFL only set, and their last big card set, I think it is a classic.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:38 PM
David Ribbens

Thanks for your feedback
Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 AM
Jeff P

Agree with Sam. A nice set but doesn't have a boatload of HOFers or Star Rookies. Small and easy to put together.

If you're doing it raw, do remember that the cards are a bit bigger and won't fit into 9 slot pages. They fit nicely into the 8 slot pages, though.

jeff
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I've been trying to decide which football sets to go after as i'm just getting into vintage football (been in vintage baseball a whole 6 months, haha). Anyway, I've noticed a lot of the sets are small (like around 150 cards or less for a bunch of them). Makes it nice when trying to put sets together.

That said, I can't seem to find anyone trading vintage football. There's this site, BO and SCF for baseball, but very few vintage football guys between the 3. So, looks like it'd be hard to complete sets short of just buying what you need.

That's one of the things that's kept from going full force into football at this point.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Sam Lemoine

Look on Facebook for "Vintage Football Cards". Contact the administrator and join the group. We have over 3,000 members and there are lots of cards being bought and sold every night. There is also some trading going on as well. I've seen your posts and I'd love to trade, but as luck would have it, I just don't have much to help on those particular sets that you collect. I have a few things, but just not much.

Anyway, check out the site. It might be what you are looking for.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have been putting together an ex-mt-ish group. Centering and print flaws the issues. The large color fields often have fish eyes. Centering seems to be especially bad with certain players. No doubt due to sheet position.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 AM

The unnumbered checklist card and the contest cards make it a bit more challenging if you want a "complete" set.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
The unnumbered checklist card and the contest cards make it a bit more challenging if you want a "complete" set.
Yes they do but most definitely doable. I found locating a few of the contest cards to be more difficult than picking up the checklist.

Checklist is NOTHING like snagging the two 1957 Topps checklists.

jeff