NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Ben North

I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I live in New Jersey the garden state. so I always had a garden . When I moved out my first apartment had a nice garden . I currently for the first time ever do not have a garden . I do mise it fresh peppers and tomatoes.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.
Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!
I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
bi11h00d

Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

I have giant pumpkin seeds available if anyone wants

Last edited by Rayl; 02-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Plum View Post
Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.
Here is a picture of them. The top 3 are ripe and ready to eat. They have a green shoulder(top) when ripe and are a very sweet tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolatecherry.jpg (76.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Ben North

Everyone that has asked for seeds they all went out this morning. If anybody else would like some just ask I have plenty left.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM
shawn

Default Garden

Been gardening off and on for a little bit. Don't have a green thumb but do well growing squash, zucchini, jalapeños, eggplant. The squirrels and bugs got my last tomato's.. We're thinking of trying above ground this year maybe.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.
Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:19 PM
John Hanssen

Seeds got to us just fine and THANK YOU, will be fun this summer growing some new/different things. We will post some things later.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:53 AM
John Hanssen

[ATTACH]image.jpg[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
Seeds got to us just fine and THANK YOU, will be fun this summer growing some new/different things. We will post some things later.
***** so this spring I came across some leftover seed that were sent to me as part of this thread. So my son and I decided to try the chocolate tomatoes and Chinese eggplant. Both have grow well this summer, unlike back in 2017 when my whole garden was a bust for the year. The picture below is a large 19" what is supposed to be Chinese eggplant but from me reaserch it should be smooth skinned fruit not having raised ridges. Any help with ID?

Sooo much for this old mans memory- it's a (((((Chinese cucumber)))) not eggplant.

Last edited by nebboy; 07-13-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 409123[/ATTACH]

***** so this spring I came across some leftover seed that were sent to me as part of this thread. So my son and I decided to try the chocolate tomatoes and Chinese eggplant. Both have grow well this summer, unlike back in 2017 when my whole garden was a bust for the year. The picture below is a large 19" what is supposed to be Chinese eggplant but from me reaserch it should be smooth skinned fruit not having raised ridges. Any help with ID?

Sooo much for this old mans memory- it's a (((((Chinese cucumber)))) not eggplant.
It is a Chinese cucumber. I have no idea what the English name is for it. It is not meant to be eaten raw. You cut it up and add it to stir fries.

EDIT: over here it is called a loofah squash or chinese okra.

Last edited by bnorth; 07-13-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Doug Chamberlain

First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages .

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdugdig View Post
First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages .

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed
One last bump for anybody that would like some seeds this year.

I grow them hydroponically and have had them 30 foot long/tall before. Yes they do like to explode when you bite into them.

A couple tips with tomatoes is water in the morning and not at night and also pick in the mornings before watering.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Ben North

I took Rayl up on the offer of some giant pumpkin seeds and this is were I am at. I am going to give the one pictured hydroponic fertilized and grow it in the pictured 35 gallon plastic barrel full of perlite.

Hoping the weather will let me move it outside in about 2-3 weeks.

Not sure how it will turn out but am hoping for a pumpkin the size if a Volkswagen Beetle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin.jpg (79.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg barrel1.jpg (79.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg barrel2.jpg (79.8 KB, 263 views)