NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Tony Quinn

Default What's the BEST Book Written About Babe Ruth?

Looking to read a Ruth biography and would like some opinions on the best one. No sugar coated, unicorns and rainbows book. A real, honest biography, warts and all. Let's hear any and all opinions and why.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I haven't read them all but The Big Bam, by Leigh Montville is very good, imo.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I really liked The House That Ruth Built.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I see that Jane Leavy (who has written great books about Mantle & Koufax) has a new Ruth book out
Old 10-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I thought Robert Creamer's was good, even though it's old now.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

I thought it was great!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Dave Foster

Hard to go wrong with anything Robert Creamer wrote. It's more recent and I haven't gotten to it yet, but Montvilles' is reportedly well done also.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
+1000! Creamer's books are wonderful reads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
+1000! Creamer's books are wonderful reads.

Sent from my sm-g900v using tapatalk
+1001
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

One more vote for Creamer.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Creamer's BABE is old as a Dom Perignom '53 is old! Mr. Creamer's biog is informative and entertaining. I well recall in the early 70s, perhaps just prior to its release, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED devoted three issues to bless readers with three segments from the book. They were enthralling; loved each one. After devouring them, I quickly bought the book.

There are other fine biographies of The Babe. It is my opinion that Robert Creamer's work stands at the best of the list.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-13-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:12 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
One more vote for Creamer.
I'm also in the Robert Creamer camp.
I read it years ago, may have to dig it out & read it again
Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Definitely "The Big Bam".
Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default best ruth bio

They all have something to offer.
Creamer is a most graceful writer AND he had the advantage of talking to Ford Frick, Ernie Shore, Hoyt, Dugan and Shawkey, among others. Primary sources, that's what it's all about.
The Smelser book covers EVERYTHING (excuse me for shouting, again), which is perfect if you want this storehouse of knowledge.
Montville came long after Creamer, and may inject himself, subtilely, into the work. If you read Creamer and Montville, who didn't have access to the old guys, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
Jane Leavy. Her book is supposed to come out about now. There is a short interview with her in Smithsonian.com. This is good place to get her perspective. Her Mantle book is a treat, although I know casual fans who actually didn't want to read her 20 page chapter on Mantle's tape measure shot at Griffith Stadium in '53. I would read anything written by Jane Leavy.
There you go.
lumberjack
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Bob Andrews

I loved Creamer's book and kept my copy all these years which is a big endorsement since I usually don't.

I have Leavy's book on pre-order. Looking forward to it given how much I enjoyed her Koufax and Mantle books.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Rick

There's a new book out titled, "The Big Fella" by Jane Leavy. 656 pages and there's supposed to be some new material included.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Mike Dugan

I second the Creamer book and add another really good one by Bill Jenkinson, THE YEAR BABE HIT 104 HOME RUNS. It traces Ruth's 1927 season from spring training through the end of season barnstorming. Smelser's book is also very good.

The new book by Jane Leavy is questionable to me, she tends to sensationalize things and does not do great research in my opinion. Just me opinion.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Speaking not only as a Babe Ruth fan, but someone who took a traveling exhibit from the Babe Ruth Museum around the country for a year back in '02, I put Creamer's book above all the one's I've read. Sure, it's from 1974, but as someone already wrote in this thread, Creamer got to interview the people who knew him and played with and against him. I think the book's subtitle, "The Legend Comes to Life" speaks for itself when comparing this against other biographies.

That said, Big Bam is quite good and I recommend that as well. I really thought the author did a spectacular job describing the last year of Babe's career and how he dealt with retirement better than anything else I've read. Also, his description of the pain and suffering he went through from the cancer was harrowing for me. But to really get the essence of the man, Creamer's book is for me the best.

I suggest reading the others after Creamer's book.

In addition to "Big Bam", check out Keene's "The Babe in Red Stockings" for a comprehensive telling of his time in Boston, "Young Babe Ruth" by Brother Gilbert who knew Ruth in St. Mary's, Kelley's "In the Shadow of the Babe" to hear actual players who faced the Babe tell their story and Barthel's "Babe Ruth is Coming to Your Town!: Post Season Barnstorming Games, 1914-1935" for his famous tours. There's more, but those are the one's that come to mind first.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Have only read the Creamer book but it was excellent.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Speaking not only as a Babe Ruth fan, but someone who took a traveling exhibit from the Babe Ruth Museum around the country for a year back in '02, I put Creamer's book above all the one's I've read. Sure, it's from 1974, but as someone already wrote in this thread, Creamer got to interview the people who knew him and played with and against him. I think the book's subtitle, "The Legend Comes to Life" speaks for itself when comparing this against other biographies.

That said, Big Bam is quite good and I recommend that as well. I really thought the author did a spectacular job describing the last year of Babe's career and how he dealt with retirement better than anything else I've read. Also, his description of the pain and suffering he went through from the cancer was harrowing for me. But to really get the essence of the man, Creamer's book is for me the best.

I suggest reading the others after Creamer's book.

In addition to "Big Bam", check out Keene's "The Babe in Red Stockings" for a comprehensive telling of his time in Boston, "Young Babe Ruth" by Brother Gilbert who knew Ruth in St. Mary's, Kelley's "In the Shadow of the Babe" to hear actual players who faced the Babe tell their story and Barthel's "Babe Ruth is Coming to Your Town!: Post Season Barnstorming Games, 1914-1935" for his famous tours. There's more, but those are the one's that come to mind first.
Gary brings up a succinct point in quoting Mr. Creamer's subtitle, "The Legend Comes to Life". That's precisely what Robert Creamer accomplishes; he allows us to go back in time and re-live Babe's life. Again, it's enthralling, and timeless with his use of the many key people he interviewed to bring fans a well-chronicled flashback of The Babe.

---Brian Powell
Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Let's hope Creamer knew what he was doing, because I just hit a BIN on ebay for $3.99.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
The new book by Jane Leavy is questionable to me, she tends to sensationalize things and does not do great research in my opinion. Just me opinion.
I am very much not a fan of her work. Don't like her writing style at all.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post

I second what you feel about Jane Leavy. She relishes upsetting the apple cart. Hank Bauer warned her not to be messing with Mickey Mantle's legacy; she didn't listen, and drilled down on his 565-foot home run. The 4,206 fans that were there that afternoon of April 17, 1953 would drill her with their empty beer bottles.

I won't go in to what she suggested about Sandy Koufax.

Let's just say, LEAVE LEAVY'S WORK ABONE----DON'T BOTHER WITH IT, 'CAUSE IT'LL BOTHER YOU!!!!!

-----Brian Powell