NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Default I need some opinions on these two cards please

Hey guys,

I'm considering sending these two cards in to PSA for grading, and would like your opinions on what kind of grade I should expect. Now, when it comes to scanning vintage cards, I'm new at it (my Bowman Chromes show up just fine in one touch cases). I first scanned the Yount raw as color (mult-scan) with 300 dpi. Of course, that came out with a little black line around the card, making judging the edges and corner impossible. How should I be doing it?

First, my 1975 Topps Robin Yount. The card is in really nice shape. The edges appear pretty clean under 10 x magnification (I use both a jeweler's loupe and a magnifying glass). The upper right corner appears like somebody took a thumb tack and ever so slightly pressed it into the cardboard, but there is no hole. Just a slight indentation. The other three corners are pretty clean, as is the surface.

Second is my 1971 Roberto Clemente. I know the '71 set is really condition sensitive because the black chips so easily. The corners are nice, the edges clean, as is the surface. But I am not yet accurate when it comes to gauging just how clean a card is.

I'd be happy to rescan these using another method. I'd like to learn just how to best do it.

Thank you!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The Yount is kind of iffy. I think it's probably a 6.5 (maybe even a 6) with that touched top right corner and fisheye. I'm not sure it would be worth sending for that grade.

I would definitely send the Clemente. It looks more like a 7.5, possibly an 8. You need to look that Clemente over very well and make sure it hasn't been touched up with a black Sharpee. If it has been touched up, you should see it when you look at the edges (it will have bled through).
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Bill Gregory

The upper right corner on the Yount is pretty sharp, actually. There's no bend to it, or fraying. Just that tiny little scratch on the surface alone. Also, what is the fisheye you're referring to, the printing defect in the 'S'? See, I didn't know that would bring the grade down any. Too bad, as the rest of the card is really nice. I'm learning Maybe I'll just keep that, and buy another Yount that's already graded.

I'll look over the Clemente with my black light.

Thank you, David.

I'd still like some other opinions, too.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Bill Gregory

I checked all four edges of the Clemente under black light in a pitch dark room. Straight on, and from an angle, and I show no evidence of a marker whatsoever. The black color is completely uniform around the card.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Bill Gregory

Here are two more scans without the one touch.

And the corner in question

Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM

First off, nice cards no matter what the grade. The Yount is tough to gauge, as its hard to see the extent of an indentation on a scan.

I'd agree with David that the Clemente is really nice and should grade between NM and NM-MT. That is a cool card to own in any grade. Even though Roberto is just posing for a baseball card photo, he's got a deep, intense stare while looking at the barrel of his bat. I also like how his autograph is written in cursive, but none of the letters connect.

Good luck with those submissions.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Bill, thanks for the additional scans. Let me first say, you have a great scanner to be able to get that close up and for the scan to remain that clear. Whenever I scan corners that close up, the picture gets a little fuzzy.

Your fist scan made it appear to be a touched top right corner. In seeing the second scan, it does appear to be a scrach as you have stated. Unfortunately, I think PSA might be harder on a scratch than they would had it been a touched corner. I really think it might only grade a 5. And, if they consider that a tiny speck of paper loss rather than a scratch, it's possible it could only get a 3 or 4. I may be wrong and would love to hear other opinions as well, but I'm just going from past experiences. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
qu@n nguy3n

clemente is nice.

i wouldn't send the yount in, too much guesswork what psa interpretation of the scratch/indent/paper loss will be. could be anywhere from a 3 to a 7.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Bill Gregory

Thanks, guys. When I purchased the Yount, it was graded by the seller as NM +, and it's been in the one touch ever since. Hard to really know for sure what PSA would do with it, and in my experience, this Ebay seller is pretty spot on in their assessments on cards. Thankfully, however, it wasn't all that expensive (I only spent $50).

I'll keep the Yount to look at, and buy another one graded a PSA 8, and keep that locked away. Shouldn't be much more than $100 or so.

The Clemente I'll send in when I get a few more to grade.

By the way, that's a Canon CanoScan 8400F. I got it about 5 months ago for $50 on Ebay. I did my research, and I'm super happy with the results. It has a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp, which is really important for scanning modern cards like the Bowman Chrome (no streaking). And it has a CCD image sensor. Those are the two things you really need in a scanner for baseball cards, especially graded ones where you're needing depth. Here's the Ralph Kiner I just bought. It does a beautiful job with PSA slabs.

All I did is some very minor tweaking of black levels in Photoshop CS2.

Anybody looking for a scanner, I highly recommend this one.

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Bill Gregory

Here's my atomic refractor Wily Peralta scanned. Normally these kinds of cards would be really tough to scan, but they come out beautifully:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Bill, do you collect autographed cards? To me, that Yount rookie would be the perfect card to get autographed (if you're into that sort of thing).

I just purchased a Schmidt rookie that appears to be MINT. However, it is short both ways. With my loupe, I've looked at the grain of the cut on all 4 borders and all 4 appear to be factory cut, I think it's just short from the factory. I only paid like $30 for the card (knowing it was short at the time), but it was worth a gamble. I sent it in to be graded and if it comes back with a number grade then I made out very well. If it only comes back as authentic, I will crack it out and get it signed.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Bill Gregory

David,

Yes, I do collect autographed cards, but only certified ones. Too many times I've heard of somebody getting a card signed in person only to have PSA/DNA tell them it wasn't an authentic signature. Plus, if I met Robin in person, I'd probably pass out.

Until recently, I've focused on Bowman Chrome autographed prospects (I have a really nice collection). I also started a Green Bay Packer/ Milwaukee Brewer personal collection about a year ago. Several really nice autos, as well as some nice Lombardi-era cards (I'm working on the 1965 Philadelphia Gum Packer team set).

That Yount will be nice when I start working on the full 1975 Topps set. Since I collect Yount, I'd considered buying a graded one, too, this just makes the decision easier. I'll just put him in the binder to enjoy.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm going to start working on my website this week. I'll be busy scanning