NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay strike/boycott -- does it begin today (sort of)?

Posted By: Rob Fouch

I posted this at the end of the other ebay strike thread but I'm afraid it might be getting buried since that thread was pretty well played out. Hope you guys don't mind my starting a new one. Here's my question:

Should the boycott of Ebay officially start today? If you list something today, it would end within the boycott week of Feb. 18-25. Or are people only not listing during the actual week? If it starts today, then really, it's a two-week boycott, right? To avoid having any listings run the week of Feb. 18-25, you wouldn't be able to list anything all this week and all of the following week. (I saw this question was posed in the old thread, but I didn't see an answer. May have missed it; fairly long thread and I don't want to reread the whole thing.)

Is anyone participating? I'm a regular seller, but only to make extra money to support my lavish lifestyle.
I could take two weeks off and it wouldn't hurt me too bad. But I'd prefer to take only one.

What's everyone else doing?
Thanks.
Rob

Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

We are in- whenever it is.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Boycott 18th, Kool-Aid 25th.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I'm in.

I'm not posting anything this week. And not buying anything next week. That's the way I understand it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

As far as I am concerned, any seller who takes one week off from listing, takes two. Because I will not bid on any auction in which a seller boycotted me the previous week.

G. Maines

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

So it sounds like everything listed up to midnight yesterday (Sunday) is ok - otherwise it'll fall on the 18th or later. If we choose to participate, we can bid up through midnight next Sunday the 17th. Does that sound right?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Sellers aren't boycotting YOU, meaning buyers. They're boycotting ebay, the entity. (At least that's what I'm doing.) I actually don't sell many cards on ebay. Only when I have dupes. But I use ebay to fund my collecting habit. I go to tag sales looking for books and records and anything else I think I can turn a profit on, and then put it up on ebay. That way I can buy cards without my wife getting annoyed that I'm spending "our" money. These changes will definitely cut into my profits, which means I'll have fewer bucks to spend on cards, which I typically buy on ebay (vicious circle). And the feedback thing's just ridiculous. I understand the issue of retaliatory feedback, but this is not the way to solve it, in my humble opinion.

So I think it's worth sitting out a week to make a statement, for whatever that's worth. I don't know that'll do much good, but it'll make me feel better. But if you're a buyer and think I'm boycotting YOU, oh well.
I guess I'll have to suffer through without your business that second week. I think I'll manage.

Rob

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Sounds right to me

Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie B

Rob... too funny "our money" ... my girlfriend thinks the same way.. when ever I bring in more money its "ours".. whats the boycott all about anyway...??

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Significant increase in fees, plus they're eliminating the ability of sellers to leave feedback for buyers, which opens up all kinds of problems. If you're interested, there's a whole other thread where folks dissect the changes and how it might affect them. People on both sides of the issue.

As for my wife, she's not crazy about my spending, say, a grand on a piece of cardboard. So I decided to go the tag sale/ebay selling route to keep her from killing me.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Frankly, as a seller on eBay, I am a bit worried about being targeted for little or no reason by mischevious bidders. A while ago, there were some jerks on a Usenet collectors newsgroup vowing to spend their free time deadbeat bidding on eBay and then giving not only undeserved negatives, but also filling out the DSR with all ones (1) across the board.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

If there is an eBay boycott this week, then it will be interesting to see how many vintage cards are listed on the promotion "dump day" tomorrow. As of 11:43pm EST, if you search "T206" on eBay, there are 938 hits. Lets see what that number looks like tomorrow night if you want a proxy to judge the success of the boycott.

EDITED TO ADD: As of 10:56pm EST on 2/13/07, there were 1990 hits for T206. So that's an over 100% INCREASE. That suggests to me the boycott, at least as to vintage cards, is not effective.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

feb. 13th 3:11 central time........1932 items found for: T206