NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Default The 500 Home Run Club - My Signed OMLBs

When I was growing up, I loved hearing about the 500 home run club. I dreamed of going to the reunion show in 1988 or so, and still love that Ron Lewis print.

I posted on here awhile ago that when my grandmother passed away in 1988 that her neighbor gave me two signed baseballs as a thank you to the family for everything she did for him. She cooked for him a lot. One was a 1978 San Diego Padres team signed ball (sort of random but a good amount of HOFers on the ball: Dave Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Gaylord Perry, Billy Herman). The other one was this:

Then, as I have mentioned here numerous times I used to attend HOF Induction Weekend with my Dad every year. I don't remember the order of how I picked these up, but the Eddie Matthews, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson and Reggie Jackson were all obtained at paid signings in Cooperstown during HOF weekend - sometime between 1991-1994 or so (also when inscriptions used to be free!).

Then I hit a bit of a lull, only about 20 years or so as high school, college, etc. got in the way. I picked the Gary Sheffield up through Meade Chaskey in 2007 or so:

Then about another two year lull, as I picked up a Jim Thome TTM during the summer of 2009:

In the fall of 2013, I knocked off two in a hurry when Tom Orr on Sports Collectors.net had both Mark McGwire and Willie McCovey at the same time:

Then last summer I picked up Eddie Murray in person at MAB's signing during HOF weekend. Very disappointed however, as they also had Ernie Banks appearing that weekend but not on the day I was in town.

I already have a ball/order in for Manny Ramirez during the National, and I plan on adding Frank Thomas during MAB's signing HOF weekend next weekend; bringing the total to 12. 12 down in about 25 years or so....not too bad huh?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:58 PM

Very nice stuff
Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Thanks Moyni!

Added Frank Thomas yesterday during HOF Induction Weekend in Cooperstown (at the Tunnicliffe Inn with MAB), bringing the total to 11/23. I bought a HOF logo baseball from the Fergie Jenkins Foundation, and really debated on where to have him sign it. I really like these HOF logo baseballs, and like when the signature is under the logo. But having everything on the sweet spot and then one under the logo would have driven me nuts. Anyways, Frank couldn't have been nicer. I handed the ball to him, and asked him to sign on the sweet spot. I wasn't thinking, and handed the ball what would have been logo upside down. He looked at it, and flipped it over before signing. I was also wearing a Derek Jeter t-shirt, and commented on how great of a guy Derek is, and can't wait until he's inducted. I asked for a pic, and then he thanked me for coming out. Couldn't have been nicer!

As long as Manny shows up to the National, I should have that one back in a few weeks.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Kevin

Very nice start to your 500 HR club set. Obviously Ruth is going to be at a huge premium, but do you plan to tray and collect all living guys at live signings?

Aaron and Mays will be super tough as I don't believe they do publics anymore and are getting older.

What about guys like Bonds, a-rod, Griffry, etc?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Thanks! This will be "complete" for me, minus Ruth, Fox, and Ott. Those guys just aren't in my price range.

I was actually in line to get Mays in 2008 in Cooperstown. Bought a ticket, and got in line and found out he would only sharpie baseballs. I plan on picking up Aaron and Mays PSA balls. I know Aaron is doing a signing this fall, but it's a bit pricey. Going to debate on that versus picking up a PSA one on ebay, or waiting until a Steiner sale. Bonds has done some public signings, and I know that Pujols is doing one coming up as well. I just spent too much lately on HOF weekend and the National that I may have to pass for now.

I heard that Manny signing at the National was a disaster, so who knows if the ball I sent in got signed during mail order.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I was at work and on Sportscollectors.net reading about the disaster that Manny Ramirez was at this year's National. Left early before he should have been done signing, gave out horrible autographs, etc. Heard he ruined some pieces, and also read a story about how someone had a OMLB with 21 signatures of 500 Home Run Club members (Manny would have been 22) and the ball was swiped off the table. I get back into work mode, look at my email and see my concierge at work had sent me an email saying there was a package for me at the front desk. I knew it was my Manny ball from the National.

It's a bit off center, and not the best nor not the worst Manny scribble. I am just happy to have to never worry about when his next public appearance will be; how much, what he's signing, when, if he'll show up, etc. Just glad it's over.

12 down, 11 realistically to go (Bonds, Aaron, ARod, Mays, Griffey, Sosa, Palmeiro, Pujols, Schmidt, Mantle, and Banks). At this rate I will have this thing wrapped up in the next 25 years or so.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I want to hear more about this Manny disaster. Appears you got lucky as the ball you have looks good!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

From what I have heard, he was signing at least 5 different versions of his signature. Additionally, he started and ended his appearance early with no notice, he didn't sign everything in the back, he gave no care to what he was signing, a baseball w/21 500+ HR hitters was stolen. There is probably more.

I sent an item to get signed through SI King, which I was told was signed-but I am afraid to see what it looks like. At least it wasn't a multi-signed piece.

EDIT: Here is Scott Smith's recap-he sent pictures of all the items and his signature is all over the place

Manny Ramirez (the most difficult SOB on the planet) actually signed everything, but it took some coaxing to come back over 3 days as he up and left at one point stiffing hundreds of folks on line. Real shame. He signed in different spots just to be difficult and signed a few different ways. I'm happy with the majority of items but one or 2 leave me shaking my head. Some large, some small, some in spots where requested and other spots he chose to be in idiot and sign elsewhere on the item. Just very very frustraing.

Last edited by tazdmb; 08-06-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
From what I have heard, he was signing at least 5 different versions of his signature. Additionally, he started and ended his appearance early with no notice, he didn't sign everything in the back, he gave no care to what he was signing, a baseball w/21 500+ HR hitters was stolen. There is probably more.

I sent an item to get signed through SI King, which I was told was signed-but I am afraid to see what it looks like. At least it wasn't a multi-signed piece.

EDIT: Here is Scott Smith's recap-he sent pictures of all the items and his signature is all over the place

Manny Ramirez (the most difficult SOB on the planet) actually signed everything, but it took some coaxing to come back over 3 days as he up and left at one point stiffing hundreds of folks on line. Real shame. He signed in different spots just to be difficult and signed a few different ways. I'm happy with the majority of items but one or 2 leave me shaking my head. Some large, some small, some in spots where requested and other spots he chose to be in idiot and sign elsewhere on the item. Just very very frustraing.
Thanks for the info. I don't get why he would choose to be such a rube.