NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Ethan

Default Hottest Player To Collect...And Why?

Interested in people's thoughts on "the player to collect (card wise) and why." Not just current value or up-side, but long term...could be a modern day player or dead ball era. Where is your money best spent and why?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Matt

Seems like you mean invest instead of collect.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Babe Ruth. Because he's Babe Ruth.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If you have more then 10 years continual dollar cost averaging deposits in S&P 500 index with reinvesting dividends. Double down or more I’d you can during recessions.

Cards should be fun, buy whatever makes you smile :-)

Never let emotions dictate your investment strategy. If certain cards bring any sorta of emotion to you don’t use them as investments.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-22-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:35 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Mike Trout errors and variations.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Tim James

Ty Cobb all the way for me. Babe is definitely the "icon" for the hobby, but Cobb is the only player unanimously voted into the hall of fame and his records make him fascinating to me. Also, the sport put him out there as "the player to see" 7 years before Ruth and subsequently a lot more collectibles were produced promoting ticket sales and player notoriety for the team.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 PM
T0m P00n

Gleyber Torres!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman tj View Post
Ty Cobb all the way for me. Babe is definitely the "icon" for the hobby, but Cobb is the only player unanimously voted into the hall of fame and his records make him fascinating to me. Also, the sport put him out there as "the player to see" 7 years before Ruth and subsequently a lot more collectibles were produced promoting ticket sales and player notoriety for the team.
No player has been unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame by the baseball writers. Cobb received 98.2% of the vote. Griffey (Jr.) received 99.3% of the vote.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Cobb was not unanimously voted into the Hall of Fame. He did receive 222 out of 226 votes. I still agree with your assessment, but I'm biased. I think Steve's vote was pretty decent too, though I don't think Ruth's cards are as attractive (as a whole) as Cobb's. The period between 1916 and 1932 did not produce, in my opinion, cards as nice as the earlier part of the century. But yeah, Ruth is a great bet.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Babe Ruth. Because he's Babe Ruth.
100% in agreement, however, the flavor of the day appears to be Ben Simmons (NBA) rpa’s.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM
St@n Go.len

Cobb such a dirtbag...i like Judge if hes the baby bomber version of Jeter. RCs still reasonable. Mantle is always good. I think Ryan is underrated.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Cobb such a dirtbag...i like Judge if hes the baby bomber version of Jeter. RCs still reasonable. Mantle is always good. I think Ryan is underrated.

Nolan Ryan has such a great Topps run.

Jeter is probably the Mantle of the current generation. His SP card will probably be out of control down the line.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Jeter is probably the Mantle of the current generation. His SP card will probably be out of control down the line.
Jeter certainly not burnishing his reputation as an executive.
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

Even as a "dirtbag", as you so eloquently put it... Cobb will ALWAYS be more desirable than Judge, Jeter, Ryan and ANY OTHERS you can name with the lone exception of Ruth.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Even as a "dirtbag", as you so eloquently put it... Cobb will ALWAYS be more desirable than Judge, Jeter, Ryan and ANY OTHERS you can name with the lone exception of Ruth.
More desirable to whom? This is all completely subjective; there will be people who like Jeter and not Ryan. People who like Gehrig and not Cobb. Judge collectors who don't have any interest in Mantle. And on and on.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Tim James

Sorry for the error, I read the Cobb HOF info in a book years ago and it stuck with me. I should have fact checked that, so thanks for the correction.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:35 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jeter who? DD is better than Jeter ever was.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Sorry for the error, I read the Cobb HOF info in a book years ago and it stuck with me. I should have fact checked that, so thanks for the correction.

Not every book is accurate...especially (IMO) about Cobb - the more recent bios of him, with far more research, paint a very different picture than the previous ones.

Call it revisionist history if you want to, but those books may have helped spur the new interest in collecting his cards.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
More desirable to whom? This is all completely subjective; there will be people who like Jeter and not Ryan. People who like Gehrig and not Cobb. Judge collectors who don't have any interest in Mantle. And on and on.
There are literally millions of cards out there for Judge and Jeter collectors though. They'll never reach the same level. For ANY career-contemporary Cobb card it's going to cost you, which is what sures up the value of his more expensive options.

Last edited by packs; 04-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Matt

Quote:
There are literally millions of cards out there for Judge and Jeter collectors though. They'll never reach the same level. For ANY career-contemporary Cobb card it's going to cost you, which is what sures up the value of his more expensive options.
I do get that the PreWar players have fewer career contemporary cards— and thus taken in the aggregate, those cards will be worth more money that the average career contemporary card of a modern player. That said, it does not mean the best card of a modern player is not as worthwhile to the collector or potentially to the investor as well, provided the latter is content to shoulder the accompanying risk.

From a strictly monetary standpoint, which is admittedly not my purview, one who bought a PSA 10 Jeter SP early on did fantastically well. And the "entry cost" of obtaining that Jeter back then was probably not even high enough to buy a nice Cobb or Ruth card. The salient point being there are all sorts of good options in terms of players and cards for both the collector and the investor. Multiple avenues for satisfaction that are neither competitive nor mutually exclusive.

Interesting case in point, for the monetarily minded: in the last year, if I paid the usual AH retail dollar to obtain a great Cobb, Gehrig, Ruth, or Shoeless Joe, I would be lucky to be able to break even on the sale of those cards today. In contrast, if I was so inclined, I could make a much greater profit on some Harpers and Judges I purchased in that very same window of time.

Another factor to consider on such a topic is how thin the air is as one progresses from 5 digits to 6 digits, and even upward. Such cards can be much harder to sell than one would think, at first blush. So there are many variables to consider, from which cards, at which prices, to investment horizon. Buying "for keeps," as it were, for a collection, really does a great job of simplifying the situation— and a great job of eliminating the headache that usually accompanies anything money-related.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-23-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:19 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
They dont have to reach the same level. If you bought 100 93 SP Jeters 10 yrs ago you will have done well for yourself. You dont need to flip Cobbs to do well. Thats where I'm coming from ....thats what i thought this thread was about. *shrug* So, maybe buy some undervalued Ryan RC or some 2013 Judges and see what happens.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of collectors. There is very little subjectivity for this board on this topic. Have you read the other posts? Have you followed the hobby for any amount of time? Ruth and Cobb reign supreme atop all others when it comes to collecting... and whether or not you agree with it... is inconsequential.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

No one is arguing what is subjectively nicer, cooler, better, more important to collect. Those are not factual arguments. That's personal taste. If you want to collect every Mackey Sasser card every printed, go for it. Sounds like fun to me. If you want to open up a museum to Kevin Maas or Bake McBride, go for it. Sounds cool. But if someone is going to argue that modern era cars are a good investment I beg to differ. Yes, there is the occasional amazing obscure piece that someone is going to pay boku bucks for. But what is driving sales of cards today is a lottery aspect of burying supposed relics in boxes and people rushing to find them and make money.

People line up at 6 am in the morning outside the sneaker store in my neighborhood a few times a month. Like 200 people deep. It's because there is some new Jordan shoe or something being released. People line up and buy a dozen pairs and sell them to grateful people in Japan for 10 times the sticker price. Cool. Nice business model. God bless. It doesn't mean they are Michael Jordan or foot ware fans. I have seen people in card store literally cracking open cases of the Topps Heritage card and throwing them into garbage cans as quickly as they can looking for the supposed rareties.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
David Kathman

My 13 year old nephew collects baseball cards, primarily recent cards with an emphasis on the Cubs. I gave him Javy Baez and Willson Contreras rookie cards for Christmas, along with a Donruss blaster box, and he was very happy. A few years ago I gave him a bunch of my doubles from the late 70s and early 80s, and he went through them picking out the Hall of Famers, which he put in his album. So this is a kid who collects current cards but is also interested in older cards.

I would assume that most of the people buying high-end recent cards at shows (autographs, relics, refractors of Trout, Bryant, Ohtani, etc.) are adults, simply because they're the ones with the money for that stuff. Same goes for the people paying $100-$150 for hobby boxes. But I'm sure there are plenty of other kids like my nephew, buying individual packs with what money they have and picking up a nicer card if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM
St@n Go.len

Youre right. Dings, creases, and 6's. Not what i was talking about ...we are talking about cards you can make money on. So yeah i agree lower end modern cards are not a good investment .....

Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Youre right. Dings, creases, and 6's. Not what i was talking about ...we are talking about cards you can make money on. So yeah i agree lower end modern cards are not a good investment .....

I count 153 that sold for under 100 and many of those aren't lower end. You can find them with a little effort. Of course, your claim was vague without any facts to base it on. When I asked for details, you didn't provide any.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I count 153 that sold for under 100 and many of those aren't lower end. You can find them with a little effort. Of course, your claim was vague without any facts to base it on. When I asked for details, you didn't provide any.
+1
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
And you provided Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, and Wagner in your argument. I hear the 52 Mantle is a good card to have too.