NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Default Trimmed cards in Auctions

Recently while watching an auction that was selling a card that was listed as trimmed was slightly shocked at the finally bid price (probably shouldn't be) wanted to know what members thought of the percentage amount should be for a trimmed card with book value between $500-$800? Card was listed as being in VG+ condition . I also realize some people don't like trimmed at all but seems that they are popping up in a lot of auctions lately , thanks for the input. Brett
Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Depending on the condition of the rest of the card, the player and year I would say maybe 5% to 10%. Last year I bought a 1958 Topps Ted Williams that appeard in NrMt condition but was advertised as trimmed. Until I held it next to another card I couln't tell it was trimmed at all. Less than 1/64th of an inch on the top. I paid $15 for it.
Drew
Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Depending on the condition of the rest of the card, the player and year I would say maybe 5% to 10%. Last year I bought a 1958 Topps Ted Williams that appeard in NrMt condition but was advertised as trimmed. Until I held it next to another card I couln't tell it was trimmed at all. Less than 1/64th of an inch on the top. I paid $15 for it.
Drew
I would have been more than happy to pay $15 for that card. It is authentic and has great eye appeal. I couldn't buy a scuffed, creased (bad eye appeal) version of that card for anything close to $15. An untrimmed '58 Williams with a mustache drawn on it would probably fetch much more than the $15 you paid for your card.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 PM

I thought the card at 10% -15 % sounded about right . It actually had decent eye appeal but sold at 40%. Just seemed way to high for a trimmed card. I also have purchased a couple trimmed but nothing quite as nice a deal as the Williams ! Brett
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Chris Counts

There are lots of trimmed cards out there and they're becoming more accepted. A couple years ago, it was easy to get great deals on trimmed cards. But it's getting tougher now ...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Drew
Just realized I mis typed. It is a 58 Topps Ted Williams All-Star not the regular issue. Sorry.
Drew
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Dean C.

Quote:
Last year I bought a 1958 Topps Ted Williams that appeard in NrMt condition but was advertised as trimmed. Until I held it next to another card I couldn't tell it was trimmed at all. Less than 1/64th of an inch on the top. I paid $15 for it.
Drew
Drew, if your Williams card was that close to original size, how could you be sure it was trimmed at all? I mean, less than 1/64th of an inch is VERY close to full size! And I see some minor variations in Topps cards all the time (and I'm pretty sure my cards aren't trimmed). When I've seen a trimmed card, there's been no doubt in my mind about it. Was the top of the Williams card uneven, or was there other obvious proof of a cut?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by betafolio2 View Post
Drew, if your Williams card was that close to original size, how could you be sure it was trimmed at all? I mean, less than 1/64th of an inch is VERY close to full size! And I see some minor variations in Topps cards all the time (and I'm pretty sure my cards aren't trimmed). When I've seen a trimmed card, there's been no doubt in my mind about it. Was the top of the Williams card uneven, or was there other obvious proof of a cut?
The person I bought it from submitted a group of these cards to PSA and they all came back as evidence of trimmed.
What I could see on the card itself besides the shorter length compared to a different card was that the top edge looked like it was cut with something besides the factory cutting machine. In other words it wasn't cut uneven but when I compared the top edge with the other three from the side you could see an obvious difference in the color of cardboard as well as just the way the edge looked.
Either way I love the card and used it in one of my displays that I built and I thinkj it looks great.
Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0312.jpg (74.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0313.jpg (77.4 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Dean C.

Quote:
What I could see on the card itself besides the shorter length compared to a different card was that the top edge looked like it was cut with something besides the factory cutting machine. In other words it wasn't cut uneven but when I compared the top edge with the other three from the side you could see an obvious difference in the color of cardboard as well as just the way the edge looked.
Yes, that's exactly the evidence I look for as well. Especially when using a loupe, you can see a slight cross-hatch pattern on the edge of an untrimmed card. And if you have any doubts, you can always compare the card in question to another one that you know to be original. There's definitely a different look to a razor- or Xacto-cut card edge. I also find that a close inspection of a card's corners will help indicate a trim. If I see slight fraying or rounding on the corners of a card that's dimensionally short, that says, to me, that the card is authentic. I mean, I can't imagine that anyone would go through the trouble of "manufacturing" a mint card by trimming it and then handling it for a while to give it a lower grade. And I'm not talking about obvious corner damage or rounding that's been deliberately accomplished. I'm saying it should be easy to tell when the MICROSCOPIC fraying of a card's corners is real or fake.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Dean C.

Quote:
Either way I love the card and used it in one of my displays that I built and I thinkj it looks great.
Drew
VERY awesome display, by the way!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
David M.

Still a great card for $15 and it looks great in that display. Was the Musial supposed to be trimmed too?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by betafolio2 View Post
VERY awesome display, by the way!!!
Thanks! My wife gave the Sports Illustrated for Christmas and I wanted to do something different with it. I had the two All-Star cards already so I made the frame with the matting and there you go. Not bad for a lazy Saturday afternoon project.
Drew
Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Still a great card for $15 and it looks great in that display. Was the Musial supposed to be trimmed too?
No. The Musial card was not trimmed. If you guys like that display maybe you might be interesed in some of the others I have built. Anyone?
Drew
Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Dean C.

Sure, I'd love to see your projects! Do you use UV coated glass or plexi to prevent fading?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I was going to start a new thread with pictures of all of the displays I had made for my collection but I am having trouble uploading the pictures for some reason. I will keep working on it.
I have used both glass and plexiglass depending on the project but none of my cards or diplays are in any harm of sunlight damage.
Drew