NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Default White Plains "East Coast National"

Just wondering if this show has any added juice coming off the heels of the Baltimore National. Do dealers that wouldn't normally do the show figure that they already have their stuff together from Baltimore, so why not? Just wondering people's thoughts, expectations, past experiences with White Plains.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

I have been to the White Plains national a lot. It never changes. The same dealers set up with the same cards with the same price stickers on them. No one is willing to listen to reason, even when you pull up VCP on your smartphone. Every one wants you to believe you're getting a deal by paying $200 less than the sticker price, which is $400 more than the card should be listed at.

Lee Smith is signing for free though. That's awesome.

Last edited by packs; 08-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Show was horrible. No wait, horrible is an over used word. What is worse than horrible?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
David Linardy

Default east coast national

I've actually had some good experiences at the east coast national & have managed to pick up some pretty good deals in the past... I plan on making the trek this weekend... Any other Net54'ers plan on attending???
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
David M.

Anyone going to this show that would be willing to get me a Lee Smith autograph on a baseball card? It can be any card as long as it shows him as a Cardinal. I'll send you a paypal "gift" to cover the postage and card price. I would ask someone out there, but I don't think I know anyone in the area.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Phil Garry

I plan to be there on Saturday morning for a little while if anyone wants to meet up for lunch at the snack bar..........
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I have to echo packs - The White Plains shows have been a disappointment every time I've gone - I feel like its the same cards over and over again - in fact, the only time I've ever bought anything from there was when Probstein had set up last year, and gave me VCP pricing on an item.

I thought there would be more dealers this time around due to the autograph lineup - maybe the next few days will be better.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Sucks that Tyson cancelled. I'm sure Chuck Blue is there still trying to sell that D304 Sam Crawford PSA 2 for $1200.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Danny Gr|mes

^ hahaha, leave chuckey alone :X " its a steal at that price"

my opinion on this show, just pay the lousy admission its hit or miss. i picked up some awesome stuff and dragged my feet here so.. usually some one decent is signing. i plan on being there saturday as well

regards

Last edited by refz; 08-16-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I'll be there. I find it's a persistence game there, Sunday aft things get a bit cheaper if you continue to harp on dealers for prices. Bought a few things from Probstein last yr or the yr before also. BBsports usually has a good selection.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Rich is a good guy, i bought and consigned with him and he is very fair to deal with. i wish he set up more at WP, bbsports if your looking for t206+ backs go to him grades 3 on up..

Last edited by refz; 08-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Chuck always has great material. His prices are just too high for me to ever buy anything when I'm able to make it to the shows.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Danny Gr|mes

i like chuck ( took me awhile at least) hes very knowledgeable on cards, ball players and has a good selection but... hes hit or miss too ive gotton deals from him, and then he wants the moon for something. i guesss it depends on how hes doing for the weekend/day. i like his chum who always sits with him (not sure of his name), one time he had a binder with some of his collection (he had wagners and pre-war galore) i thought it was awesome.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM

They're both really nice guys and I always enjoy talking to them.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
David Linardy

Default CHuck

Chuck does have some cool stuff,

but I must say thatt I avoid his table at all shows because I never feel like I can walk away with a "good deal"
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Henry Nich.ols

How was the show friday any improvement.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Greg Mitchell

Love this: one prominent guy who wanted 90 for card he's selling online--with free postage--for 75. He did offer to come down to 80....
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Love this: one prominent guy who wanted 90 for card he's selling online--with free postage--for 75. He did offer to come down to 80....
There's a mark up when you actually get to see the card in person bf you by it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Greg Mitchell

That's fine, if guy pays my admission, parking, gas mileage, and time. Otherwise: I'll save a lot of money and get it from same guy on eBay (and he pays shipping AND eBay fees).
Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Be.n C0z1n

I went on Friday and felt the show was OK, but to bill it as the East Coast National might be a little much. I really didn't feel it was better than the same show that they run in Jan, March, May, etc. The solution might be just to have this as a two day show, 9-5 and charge the dealers a little less for the tables. I did hear some chatter from a couple of the vendors that the four day set-up was just brutal and that it might be a "no" for next year.

In General, I'm surprised this show doesn't do better. New York has passionate sports fans, and there are some very wealthy people in the NY & NJ / Connecticut area. Your talking about a show that has an affluent population of well over a million people within an hour drive of the show.

Finally in response to a previous post, I am starting to notice a few "museums" now that I have been to 3-4 White Plains shows in the past couple of years.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
I went on Friday and felt the show was OK, but to bill it as the East Coast National might be a little much. I really didn't feel it was better than the same show that they run in Jan, March, May, etc. The solution might be just to have this as a two day show, 9-5 and charge the dealers a little less for the tables. I did hear some chatter from a couple of the vendors that the four day set-up was just brutal and that it might be a "no" for next year.

In General, I'm surprised this show doesn't do better. New York has passionate sports fans, and there are some very wealthy people in the NY & NJ / Connecticut area. Your talking about a show that has an affluent population of well over a million people

Finally in response to a previous post, I am starting to notice a few "museums" now that I have been to 3-4 White Plains shows in the past couple of years.
If you want to see a real museum, go to the real National and look in my case that has some of my personal collection. The prices are so high they will give you altitude sickness. I succeeded in not selling even one of them. I did have about a 25 minute debate with one guy though. He couldn't understand my strategy. My strategy was to not sell any but to have a small show and tell of cards seldom encountered. I put prices on them after, in the first 3 hours, I had approximately 15 people ask me if they were for sale. The high priced stickers took care of anymore of those questions. (which was the sole purpose of said sticker prices)

As far as this original topic of the show being spoken of....never been to it. Since I have to pick and choose what shows to go to, as they are all a plane trip away, this probably won't be one.

Last edited by Leon; 08-18-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Paul

I have often thought about setting up a table just to show my signed prewar cards.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I have often thought about setting up a table just to show my signed prewar cards.
Awesome idea.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 PM

I can see the good and bad in setting up to show your collection. Personally I'd like to buy some cards while I'm at a show.

Last edited by packs; 08-18-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I went today - first WP show I've been to in over a year, and I have to say, I did have a good time. Spoke with Phil from Goldin auctions for a bit, and enjoyed hearing some stories from a few other dealers.

I never have much luck finding the cards I need/want at these shows (mostly because I'm down to the more obscure Jackie cards), so it was actually kind of refreshing to go to the show simply to look around and chat with fellow collectors.

Once I finish the Jackie collection, I plan to switch my focus to pre-war - so it was nice seeing all that is out there.

There was more people there today than I remember at any of the previous shows I've been to... I do agree though that they should make it a 2-day show.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Jason

Default Attended today...had a good time

mostly because my sons (ages 10 and 7) started paying attention to what was in all the cases, instead of just running to the Pokemon cards.

One started a photo collection, and the other was thrilled to see all the Derek Jeter stuff. Neither one could believe how much an Albert Pujols signed ball was going for, but they both loved seeing the Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth cards that a few of the dealers had out...so did Dad!

Me, I settled for a $3 signed 1981 Topps card of Mike Easler....doesn't fit the collection, but he was one of my faves.

Many prices were silly, but I did notice more "discounted prices" signs on the 50-80s singles stuff than I used to see, so maybe things are getting more fun...?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you want to see a real museum, go to the real National and look in my case that has some of my personal collection. The prices are so high they will give you altitude sickness. I succeeded in not selling even one of them. I did have about a 25 minute debate with one guy though. He couldn't understand my strategy. My strategy was to not sell any but to have a small show and tell of cards seldom encountered. I put prices on them after, in the first 3 hours, I had approximately 15 people ask me if they were for sale. The high priced stickers took care of anymore of those questions. (which was the sole purpose of said sticker prices)
I had a very similar experience at a show here in L.A. once. I put out some items from my collection not to sell them but to show some tough type cards. Even labeled as such I kept getting the "how much" questions so I finally slapped some outrageous prices on them and ended the questions.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Hank Thomas

May God bless the first promoter who has the sense to stop the three-day show nonsense. Those days are LONG over. They think they're getting more admissions from the third day, but the collectors who come on Sunday--those lonely few--will be there one of the other two days instead. What a sad waste of a day those Sundays have become. God had finished all his business by then, and so have we!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 AM

It actually was a 4 day show.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac44 View Post
It actually was a 4 day show.
Why?