NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Meet and Greet- welcome to Net54baseball

I figure it's about time for a meet and greet thread. With these, almost every time, they help someone out for some reason or another. Especially because you can see what folks interests are, where they are from, and so forth. Also, as previously stated, we have a lot of new members so it's nice to let them share some details if they would like to. In true moderator fashion I will go first. I will put out a small list for info but anyone can put anything they want to. best regards

1. Name- Leon Luckey

2. Age- 49 and hopefully not holding

3. Day job- technology sales for the 3rd largest reseller in the US *(enterprise reseller if any of you techy guys need a great guy to buy your Cisco, HP, MS, etc...from...call me, I need sales )

4. Location- Lucas, Texas (a few miles north of Dallas, it's a bit country)

5. Collecting interest- mainly a 20th century type collector, pre-1950 (no kidding)

6. Family- wife and 14 yr old daughter

7. How long in hobby- 15 yrs, back as an adult, not counting as a kid

8. Other interests- none

9. Do you attend shows? Mainly the National but will start doing more soon.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Tom Russo
Age 54
Just a country lawyer specializing in criminal defense
Home:Scotch Plains, NJ but spend most weekends, spring, summer and fall in Cooperstown on Otsego Lake
20 years as a collector but bought my first baseball cards in 1962
Married 29 years and counting
Two sons - 21 and 25
Collecting interests - mostly pre-war cards, baseball books 700 volumes or so, and obviously Walter Johnson
Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Rob Miller

1. Name- Rob Miller

2. Age- 29

3. Day job- Sr. Data Analyst for a top NYC Health Insurance Company

4. Location- Staten Island, NY

5. Collecting interest- T206 Tolstois, Rube Waddell, E91A-C, 1933, 1934, 1936 Goudey, R313, etc...

6. Family- 2 dogs

7. How long in hobby- started collecting vintage 3 years ago, although been collecting on and off for about 20 years

8. Other interests- Playing and following baseball, football, hockey, basketball...also bowling, billiards, ping pong and beer pong. I also have been to a ton of concerts and have an extensive music collection.

9. Do you attend shows? Only Local shows (White Plains, Hofstra) but I would like to attend a National soon.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM

1. Name- Martin Dalziel

2. Age- 51

3. Day job- GM for a Retail Point Of Sale and Management Systems company serving the restaurant, cinema, convenience and general retail industries.

4. Location- Metro Atlanta, GA

5. Collecting interest- All across the board, though pretty inactive now - T3 on the card side and bats on the memorabilia side were always a focus. I still have a soft spot for mini bats.

6. Family- Donna, my wife of 27 years and our two boys, Raymond and Jamie (dec 'd.)

7. How long in hobby? 25 years

8. Other interests - collector of all manner of things; too many things really but anything different, cool and evocative of an era is fair game. Uncommon vinyl 45's in particular, vinyl records in general (soul, garage, psych, rockabilly, country gospel, reggae/rocksteady, folk, ssw, etc.), Southern Pottery, Folk Art, NM religious art. Folk Art is a shared love for Donna and me so we do a lot of auctions, estate sales, garage and fleas, etc. together.

9. Do you attend shows? I don't. Atlanta is somewhat a wasteland for shows, though there is actually one tomorrow. I won't be there as I'm off to an estate auction .
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

1. Name-David Novakovich Jr.

2. Age-31

3. Day job-Union Ironworker

4. Location-Painesville, Oh(about 20 miles east of Cleveland)

5. Collecting interests-pre-war(mostly HOF and Cleveland players), also modern HOF rookies and potentially HOF rookies(the 'roiders are making this tough), topps complete sets(standard and traded only), autos, 1938 Churchman Boxing and 1956 Topps football.

6. Family- Wife that I've been with for almost 10 years, 6 and 7 year old sons, 2 year old daughter, 8 yr old American Bulldog, and the kids' a**hole puppy..

7. How long in hobby-Originally from '86-94. Started back up around 6 years ago..

8. Other interests/hobbies-Music(I used to have a band, but just don't have the time anymore), backyard wrestling(yes, I'm one of those idiots, and my old HS and college coaches would probably be ashamed of me now because of this). Sci-fi and horror movies/tv shows.. Cigarettes, coffee, and the family.

9. Do you attend shows? Not very often...There's one big vintage show in Strongsville that I like to get to every year, and will occasionally stumble into one of those crappy mall shows by accident. Wow, are those things just a complete and total embarrassment to the hobby nowadays...

***I'm gonna add this one***
10. Favorite item in collection- April 7, 1869 Chicago Tribune, with a nice long article and team breakdowns of the upcoming 1869 NABBP season's professional teams. Basically 1869 was the first year that the NABBP added the professional division, which is often considered the first professional sports league. I would however like to find the April 3, 1869 New York Tribune with the first printing of the article as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Chris Buckler

1. Name- Chris Buckler

2. Age- 30

3. Day job - Print Shop Manager, Photographer, Card Dealer

4. Location- Louisville, KY

5. Collecting interest- Interesting Postcards, Dietsche Cobb, R312, Louisville Players, Tobacco Advertising and Tins

6. Family- Wife and dog

7. How long in hobby- Since I was a kid

8. Other interests- A little bit of everything

9. Do you attend shows? Yes as a dealer. The National, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philly, Cincy, Nashville, and the occasional local show.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Clint

Clint Hromek

Age- 42

Job- Work in the aircraft industry

Location- Wichita, Kansas

Collecting interests- Pre 1960 Kansas baseball memorabilia. Especially interested in items from the 1913 World Tour game in Blue Rapids, Kansas as well as minor league items from Wichita.

How long in the hobby- 33 years

Do I attend shows? Every once in a great while. Would love to go to a National once though.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM

1. Name- Brandon

2. Age- 29

3. Day job - Vet Tech

4. Location- Asheville, NC

5. Collecting interest- Vintage baseball & boxing memorabilia, & some basketball.

6. Family - No wife or kids

7. How long in hobby- 10 years, give or take.

8. Other interests - Collecting original broadcast of sporting events on dvd.
I currently have close to 7,000 dvds.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Steve Murray

1. Name- Steve Murray

2. Age- 67

3. Day job- Retired real estate lawyer

4. Location- Arlington Heights, Illinois

5. Collecting interest- Pacific Coast League..zeenuts, obaks, etc.

6. Family- wife 36 years; three children; three grandchildren; three cats

7. How long in hobby- 30 yrs, back as an adult, not counting as a kid

8. Other interests- Travel and holdem poker

9. Do you attend shows? National and Sun Times. Local shows all gone
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Lee Hen.ebry

Name- Lee Henebry

2. Age- 24

3. Day job- PhD Candidate in Fisheries at Purdue

4. Location- West Lafayette, Indiana

5. Collecting interest- n172, t212-1, t206 rare backs

6. Family- none

7. How long in hobby- 10 years total (back from hiatus 6 years)

8. Other interests- Fly and bait fishing

9. Do you attend shows? Not currently, but will be attending the Nat this year since it is only 2 hours away.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

1. Name- Rhett Yeakley

2. Age- 33

3. Day job- Dentist

4. Location- Redding, CA

5. Collecting interest- Colgan's Chips, Zeenuts, E121-like cards, Type cards, and anything lse that strikes my fancy.

6. Family- wife (Kimberly), 3 year old daughter (Maeryn), and an 8 month old son (Asher).

7. How long in hobby- Began selling at card shows as an 11 year old along with my brother Rhys (he was 12).

8. Do you attend shows? I usually attend the National and sometimes sell there as well. When I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA I would go to the Robert Morris shows and the show now known as the Valley Forge show.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-17-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM
David Str@@te

1. Name- David Straate

2. Age- 29 but felt 80 this morning

3. Day job- Teacher

4. Location- Outside of Santa Fe

5. Collecting interest- Working on the 1948 Bowman Basketball Set, T206s, and I see myself getting the Goudey bug sooner or later.

6. Family- wife, 2 dogs, wife's cat.

7. How long in hobby- 10 years as a kid, 5 years with vintage, but hey, I didn't have disposable income before then.

8. Other interests- I play basketball and fast pitch softball, Other than that its mountain biking, skiing, hiking. I read quite a bit. Just finished Call of the Wild. Would definitely recommend that for anybody who likes dogs.

9. Do you attend shows? If Santa Fe gets one, it'll have more reprint hoaxes than ebay. So I think I'll just stick to BST
Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default info

Name: Joe Drouillard

Day job: High school teacher and speech coach

Collecting interest: Prewar, mostly T206s

Family: Wife, three sons, 4 grandsons

How long collecting: Prewar 6 years (wish I had my Mickey Mantle collection that my mom threw out)

Other interests: Spending time with my wife--family stuff.

Do you attend shows: Not much. If Nationals is close or there is a show in Cleveland. Nothing local.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Tom

1. Name- Tom Laubinger

2. Age- 33

3. Day job- Currently unemployed Residential Electrician

4. Location- Pell Lake, WI About halfway between Milwaukee, WI and Chicago, IL. A bit closer to Milwaukee, but not much in terms of mileage, just driving time.

5. Collecting interest- I have several. I'm a set builder, but have dumped nearly all of my post 1980 stuff recently. Still trying to unload a bunch of it. There's just too much to keep up with. So now, it's all Topps regular issue sets from 1952-1979. I have recently begun collecting Cubs, all Topps regular issue from 1952-current, and any and all pre 1952 that I can afford. I have a very strong interest in the T205, T206, Goudey, Diamond Stars, and others. I just can not afford to collect complete sets of these older cards, so I'm sticking with lower grade Cubs. I'm not in this for an investment of any kind, just my love of the Cubs, and baseball cards.

6. Family- Girlfriend of 12 years, and her two wonderful daughters 13 & 15. They're both beautiful girls too, so their father and myself have our hands full with their boyfriends. By the way he and I get along great, it started out as having to get along for the kids, but we have developed quite a good friendship. It gets awkward at family functions, but we don't let it bother us much. We hang out all the time.

7. How long in hobby- I got back into collecting strong in 1998 when I was 21. I collected as a kid, but sold all my cards when I was 17 to put gas in my car to take my girlfriend out on a Saturday night. I have always had an interest in the pre war stuff, but did not actively begin pursuing it until this past year. I don't have many, but as money allows I will be buying pre war Cubs like crazy in the future. I love them, they are the neatest cards there ever was.

8. Other interests- Too many to list, but genuine American muscle cars is one, music is another. Mostly rock and hard rock, but pretty much anything but country, pop, hip hop and rap I love. And there's even some songs from those genres that I like.

9. Do you attend shows? I haven't been to a card show in years. I really miss the local shows and shops that used to be everywhere. I would love to attend a National sometime, but it always seems there's not enough money to even bother going when they come around.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
T0dd M@rcum

1. Name- Todd Marcum

2. Age- 49 ...for now

3. Day job- President and partner in a good 15-person ad agency

4. Location- Roanoke, VA

5. Collecting interest- Moves around, but have been focused on building a low grade t205 set (fronts only) and have found it delightful and made many friends through the process

6. Family- wife of 26 excellent years...16 year old son who is a very promising baseball player, 12 year old daughter who is a fine young singer, 3 year old Redbone hound that eats Christmas ornaments

7. How long in hobby- Since I was six...took breaks but never really stopped

8. Other interests- love my job and Marshall University

9. Do you attend shows? Chantilly, Moeller Thanksgiving and once in a great while the National. I have a background of show promotion, doing more than 30...considering doing another to benefit my son's baseball team. I am a long-time friend of Marco Rol with Collector's Showcase.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 PM

1. Name- Chris Diaz

2. Age- 41

3. Day job- Director of Technology for a charter school in Philadelphia

4. Location- Cherry Hill, NJ

5. Collecting interest- T206 and 33 Goudey HOFers

6. Family- wife, 16 year-old daughter, 2 cats

7. How long in hobby- This time: 5 years

8. Other interests- Play baseball in a 35+ wood bat league, travel, reading, exercise, a little video gaming

9. Do you attend shows? Philly show
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM

1. Name- Tim Fritz

2. Age- 38

3. Day job- Database Administrator for a financial services IT shop

4. Location- Madison, Wisconsin

5. Collecting interest- baseball, football and basketball anything pre-1980.

6. Family- wife and 2 daughters (ages 8 and 5)

7. How long in hobby- since I was 5 years old, been collecting pre-WWII for about 5 years. Member of vintagecardtraders.com.

8. Other interests- fishing and softball

9. Do you attend shows? I've been to one national in Chicago and attend the monthly WSCA shows in Milwaukee once in a while.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

1. Name- Frank K. Ward

2. Age- 44

3. Day job- surf, lava dodger, odd stuff, poor & happy

4. Location- Mountain View, Puna Dist. HI

5. Collecting interest- non-T206, mostly "raw" tougher oddball stuff

6. Family- g-friend, cat, 10 chickens, Kalij pheasants, geckos

7. How long in hobby- 30 years, 25+ PreWar

8. Other interests- surf, drumcircles, healthfood, hot lava, turning my 3 acres of jungle into a botanical garden, native Hawaiian plants, winning all the dreadlocked hippy rock throwing contests on the island

9. Do you attend shows? Not in last 8 years, used to go to all the NorCal ones when I lived there.

Me @ Kings Landing in Hilo last summer

Boarus and I, last summer
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Jerry Tate

Default info

Name---Jerry Tate
Age-----37
Day Job----former liquor store owner, recently sold out!!!
Location----Van Buren, Arkansas
Interests----Louisiana issues---t216s, t213s, t214s, d303s, also E92 nadjas+ e104 Nadjas, anything obscure
Other interests----Razorbacks, Cardinals
Family----single
Years in hobby-----since 1982 with a few gaps
Shows-----not in years

Last edited by gabrinus; 06-12-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Richard Cline

Name - Richard Cline
Age - 53
Day Job - High School Business/Web Graphics Teacher
Also coaching H.S. Basketball
Location - Arcanum, Ohio
Interests - '33 Goudeys and anything Reds
Family - Wife, married 30 years - 3 children, the last one is a senior in college.
2 girls and a boy.

**Going to have a granddaughter in May, our first**

Other Interests
- Love to travel, wife and I made a conscious decision
to go places while we are physically able to go.
Enjoy playing guitar, it is relaxing. Spending too much time
on the Internet. Also reading good books.
Years in Hobby - Got back in about 5 years ago I guess.
Shows - Went to the National in Cleveland, loved it and enjoyed meeting
fellow Net54 members.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Mike

Default Another

1. Name - Mike Frohme

2. Age - 47 most days

3. Day job - software architecture for a global energy data collection company

4. Location - Louisville, KY

5. Collecting interest - T207 (still), pre-war Pirates, mostly T206, T205

6. Family - girlfiend of more years than I should admit - about to change for the better (it'll be a nice Christmas)

7. How long in hobby - ~10 years active as an adult, couple of years in the late 80's - back since 2006.

8. Other interests - multiple pets

9. Do you attend shows? Used to do locals, regionals, National (Arlington) - nothing now, but hope to get to the National soon.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

1. Name- Andy Huntoon

2. Age- 34

3. Day job- Property and Fund Accountant for a Commercial Real Estate Investment firm

4. Location- Belle Mead, NJ (near Princeton)

5. Collecting interest- Prewar: Jersey City players, T206's with period back stamps, horizontal cards, W516-1 with the Becker/Prize back, HOFers, T205 NY Giants; Postwar: 1954 Topps, 1975 Topps, 1980 Topps Autographed

6. Family- Married to my best friend, 4 yr old daughter and we just had son 4 weeks ago

7. How long in hobby- I collected as a kid, but didn't really get into it seriously until about 10 years ago

8. Other interests- Baseball history, accounting, oil painting, pen spinning

9. Do you attend shows? I try to go the Philly Show a couple times a year and enjoy seeing some board members there when I'm there.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 01-02-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Ross B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
8. Other interests- ..............................pen spinning
Wow, +1. I learned in my brief stint in debate.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Larry Harris
Buffalo, NY you know cold, snow
Age 55
Retired for 5 years now and living my life like it's golden!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg george-larry.jpg (69.8 KB, 1232 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2806.jpg (75.8 KB, 1231 views)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Rich Klein

Default Always good to do this

1. Name - Rich Klein

2. Age - 50.

3. Day job - Underemployed -- but at least keeping busy

4. Location - Plano TX (about 5 minutes from Leon)

5. Collecting interest - Sounds weird on this board -- but I trade modern bulk cards very actively -- I have traders for every baseball team but the Orioles amd the Marlins.
I also still collect signed books, hobby pubs I did not have and some other odds and ends

6. Family - Wife who somehow keeps putting up with me

7. How long in hobby - Got my 1st SCD/trader Speaks as holiday presents in 1976; did 1st show in 1979; Did 1st National in 1983,...

8. Other interests - Top 40 music 1955-91; radio air checks from that period; signed books; general trivia

9. Do you attend shows? I'd love to, we have about 1-2 passable shows in the DFW area each year. Been to every National since 1983

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-17-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Brian J0hns0n

1. Name: Brian Johnson

2. Age: 49

3. Day job: Land Surveyor

4. Location: Freeport, Maine

5. Collecting interest: T206, Diamond Stars, Topps 1952-1972, wrappers & empty boxes

6. Family: Wife, Son 18, Daughter 16

7. How long collecting: 1968-1980 as a youth, 1992-present as adult

8. Other interests: Camping, hiking, bicycling, snowmobiling, woodworking

9. Do you attend shows: 1 per year...GBSCC show outside Boston
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
I@n Cl@rke

1. Name- Ian Clarke

2. Age- 35

3. Day job- Regional Sales Manager (Sales/Engineer)- Western US for international company

4. Location- San Francisco, CA, 3 blocks from my favorite spot- AT&T Park

5. Collecting interest- just about any and all HOFers pre- 1980, with lots of 40's/50's/60's Topps/Bowman, though focus last few years has been almost all pre-war.. T206, T205, T202, N28, Goudey, Play Ball, E's.. want more N172, N162, CJ (any), M116... Love all the big names/legends- Ty and Cy, Wagner, Matty, WaJo, Speaker, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Williams, Jackie, Aaron, Mantle, Mays etc. but am not exlusive to any type/set/player

6. Family- girfriend who will be my wife in May, hopefully kids to follow shortly after

7. How long in hobby- 32 years- first wax packs in 1980. Packs only 1980-1988, went to first show in 1988, began collecting seriously at that point and never stopped.

8. Other interests- Watching and playing sports- baseball/football/basketball, travelling, movies, history

9. Do you attend shows? I've never travelled for a show. I used to go to the old Moscone Center show in SF as a kid, and recently have been going about every other year to the TriStar show at the Cow Palace in SF. Almost never buy, just look at all the nice stuff. Would like to go to a National at some point.

Last edited by itjclarke; 03-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Default better late than never...

1. Name: Pete

2. Age: 22

3. Day job: Risk analyst (i'm a huge math nerd)

4. Location: NY

5. Collecting interest: e104, e107, caramels

6. Family: Single!

7. How long collecting: Since 2006

8. Other interests: reading, hockey, oakland raiders, and drinking "socially"

9. Do you attend shows: not yet

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Rawn Hill

Amazing how many collectors are single, guess we are just really picky as to conditon. Yes, single and staying that way.

Rawn
Old 10-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

1. Name- Scott Marcus

2. Age- 20

3. Day job- Industrial and Systems Engineering major (undergrad) at URI; weighing the benefits of going to Germany after graduation to get my M.Sc. Paying for all this by working at TF Green Airport.

4. Location- Washington County, RI during the school year, Kent Co. during school breaks

5. Collecting interest- generally signed vintage baseball cards, specifically signed 1953 Topps

6. Family- Do dogs count?

7. How long in hobby- 2005 to 2009/10 as a kid, got back into it around July of last year.

8. Other interests- Running, reading, generally anything by David Halberstam or memoirs from the two World Wars, especially if USMC or USN.

9. Do you attend shows? Already saving up for Atlantic City next year!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM

1. Name- Jason Carota

2. Age- 31

3. Day job- Landscape professional (going on 16 years with the same company.) Design/Install/Fine Maintenance.

4. Location- Lowell, MA

5. Collecting interest- T206

6. Family- Wife and 2 1/2 yr old daughter

7. How long in hobby- 6 years since I returned to the hobby

8. Other interests- Hiking, baseball history, Red Sox, Bruins, music, reading, drawing (b&w,) and craft beer.

9. Do you attend shows? One or two a year. I try to make it to the Wilmington Shriner's show, but don't always get there.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Meet and Greet

1. Name - Kevin Cummings

2. Age - 59

3. Day job- director of order processing and file maintenance for Pearson Education, world's largest publisher of educational materials

4. Location - Closter, NJ (about 1/2 mile north of NYC)

5. Collecting interest- 19th century, primarily the Old Judge set

6. Family - 1 wife (original), 2 daughters, 1 son

7. How long in hobby- back since 1983 with the birth of my son (whose birth announcement was distributed in packs of 1983 Topps)

8. Other interests - travel

9. Do you attend shows? I'd go to more if any had Old Judges worth chasing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle_fr.jpg (76.2 KB, 1292 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Paul Hawk

1. Name - Paul Hawk

2. Age - 35

3. Day job - Own a number of food service establishments in NJ and PA

4. Location - Lower Bucks County, Langhorne, PA

5. Collecting interest - Pre-War cards, but mostly T206, T205, T207 and various HOF pre-war cards. I also collect sets from 2004, my son's birth year. I also collect baseball autographs - focusing on HOFer and autographed baseballs. I also collect anything related to the Phillies.

6. Family - New wife, two step daughters and one son. Kids have two rats without tails (hampsters) and two hermit crabs.

7. How long in hobby - Since five years old, but about a nine year hiatus during college, grad school and starting my career..

8. Other interests - hunting, cooking, wine collecting, tinkering with my 1967 427 Ford Cobra (a kit car, but dang sweet!)

9. Do you attend shows? Have done locals, but never the national. I have donethe Philly show in the past, but missed the last few because life got in the way.

Here is a photo of my wife and critters messing with us - photo taken about two months ago:

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Dan McCarthy

1. Name - Dan McCarthy

2. Age - 21

3. Day job - Student/Boston College football video staff

4. Location - Brighton, MA

5. Collecting interest - working on low grade T205 and T3 sets, and Red Sox

6. Family - parents, sister, cat

7. How long in hobby - Been collecting since I was little, but I've focused solely on vintage stuff since sometime in high school

8. Other interests - Writing, reading, video editing, Boston sports

9. Do you attend shows? Something in the Boston area every so often
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 AM
John

Default Happy Holidays

Name- John Guzze

Age- 54 that's older than Leon

Day Job- Inspection Team Lead

Location- Central part of Ct.

Collecting Interest- whatever catches my eye

Family- 4 kids and a grandson & granddaughter

How long in hobby- remember opening my first packs of '67 Topps baseball and been collecting off and on ever since.I really enjoyed meeting Bob Thing many, many years ago, what a first class act.

other interests- Family,Friends & and have been starting to compete in table tennis tournaments.

Do you attend shows- mostly local ones and still trying to get to my first national.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Matt Wieder

Name: Matt Wieder

Day job: Manager of Commercial Real-Estate Products for a software company.

Collecting interest: Tougher issues of pre-war HOFers & stars.

Family: Wife and 4 kids.

How long in hobby: 25 years.

Other interests: Cleveland Browns fan

Do you attend shows?: The Nat every now and then and the Strongsville show

Last edited by Matt; 12-19-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Michael S

1. Name- Michael Steele

2. Age- 50

3. Day job- Sales Manager-Grocery Wholesale Distribution

4. Location- Southern Minnesota. About an hour south of the Twin Cities.

5. Collecting interest- Cards, Photo's, Publications for all Boston Sports. Pre War for Red Sox, Bruins. Love the Patriots but they only go back to 60.

6. Family- My best girl since 84.

7. How long in hobby- Was a baseball pack collecting fool as a kid (65-74). Been spending most of my discretionary income on the hobby since 79.

8. Other interests- Downhill Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoe. For sure in the right place for it. Bike riding, try to do the RAGBRAI each summer. Running.

9. Do you attend shows?- Loved the St.Louis shows at the Holidome from 79 to the 90's. KC shows in the 80's and attended the 07 (Clev) and 08 (Chi) Nationals

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 12-20-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Archive

1. Name - Jantz Morey

2. Age - 43

3. Day Job - Janitor

4. Location - Ohio

5. Collecting Interest - T206s & dabble in vintage baseball photographs

6. Family - Parents & Older brother

7. How long in the hobby - on & off, close to 20 years

8. Other interests - Largemouth Bass fishing (catch & release) & searching for American Indian artifacts

9. Do you attend shows? - Yes, any excuse to take a road trip and look for new T206s for my set. I also try to attend the National each year when possible.

*disclaimer* - No Bass were injured while typing this post.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 PM

Johnny,
That was cool.
JimB
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

1. Name- Terry Lewis

2. Age- 35

3. Day job- Operations guy for a restaurant group, sell a lot of wine, cheese

4. Location- Philadelphia

5. Collecting interest- Chase Utley, Pre War Phillies sets and 1960 Topps PSA 7

6. Family- Awesome wife from Belarus, West Highland Terrier and a lazy fat cat

7. How long in hobby-ten years>hiatus>six years now

8. Other interests- wine, coins, collecting grateful dead and phish shows, ttm autographs

9. Do you attend shows? Philly show, hope to hit the national this year.

Last edited by lancemountain; 12-20-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: had to add ttm autographs! send about 100 a year!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Clayton

1. Name- Clayton

2.Age- Will hit 40 in January

3.Day Job- Bus Driver/ Public Transportation

4.Location-" Sin City "

5.-Collecting Interests- T206, and my wife and I like to collect "Cowboy/ Western art" (see pics below, and sorry about the glare).

6.Family-Wonderful wife & best friend Laura, along with 2 cats.

7.How long in hobby-not as long as most of you folks- maybe 4-5 years (I guess I don't really keep track)

8.Other interests-Love music (Metal, Punk, Classic Rock, Acid Rock, Classic Country, BlueGrass, Etc, Etc,) Playing guitar and bass guitar, some gambling,spending time with my wife, scouring antique malls for cool stuff, collecting interesting western items, tattoos (nice leg sleeve Ralph ), traveling (all though haven't traveled in awhile).

9.Attend shows- no, there is nothing out this way to go to most of the time (sometimes shows in California. I WILL make it to a National eventually.)

Nice to meet you all.

Sincerely, Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 006.jpg (71.4 KB, 1109 views)
File Type: jpg various 007.jpg (69.4 KB, 1113 views)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Mike Dugan

Name: Mike Dugan

Day Job: Candy Wholesaler

Location: Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas- The birthplace of Spring Training!

Collecting Interst: pre-1950 cards, baseball books and Arkansas sports memorabilia

Family: Wife of 32 years who actually should be up for sainthood and college freshman daughter

How long in hobby: started in 1975 but had a brain problem 20 years ago when I sold almost everything

Other Interests: Golf, tennis before knees went bad

Do you attend shows?: Last show was National in St. Louis in mid 90s
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Dave H@rford

1. Name - Dave Harford

2. Age - 44

3. Day Job - Active Duty, US Army

4. Location - San Antonio, TX

5. Collecting Interests - Ted Williams, Christy Mathewson, HOF (T204/T205/T206), recently started HOF type set (as much as each set offers a HOF) with my father

6. Family - Wife of 20 years and 3 daughters

7. How Long In the Hobby - Started collecting in 1975 as a Red Sox fan. Slowed in high school, but have been picking up speed ever since.

8. Other interests - The family, art, music, bicycling, golf and English football (Go Chelsea!)

9. Do you attend shows? - Used to hit 10+ a year on the East Coast, barely 1/year in TX
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

1. Name- Larry
2. Age- 61
3. Day job- retired (four years ago) FAA air traffic controller
4. Location- Jacksonville FL
5. Collecting interest- I'm a pre '81 low grade set collector baseball football hockey basketball non-sports and trying to finish my sets. Also low grade T206 raw in binder pages and low grade T205 slabbed in SGC holders.
6. Family- Divorced since 2003 never re-married. Four kids eight grandkids.
7. How long in the hobby- collected as a kid '62-'67 then got rid of my cards restarted in 1988 when my oldest brought home some '88 Donruss
8. Other interests- Fitness, Jaguars rooter and season ticket holder, Travel, Backpacking. Volunteering.
9. Do you attend shows- I have attended the past four Nationals and don't miss our local monthly show.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Tom Hines

1. Name- Tom Hines

2. Age- 42

3. Day job- Chief Boatswains mate in the Coast Guard

4. Location- Coos Bay, OR (currently) From Norfolk, VA

5. Collecting interest- Cincinnati Reds 1985 and earlier, Paul Hines cards (my Great Great Grand Uncle) My collection has ebbed and flowed a lot over the years. Had a T206 near set (minus the big 4), had all the 1950's Topps sets (minus 51' Blue Back). Now I just focus on the Reds and uncle Paul.

6. Family- divorced for 2 years, two sons (13 and 11) and a daughter (9)

7. Years in hobby- 31 (some years more aggressive than others but continuously active since I was 11)

8. Other interests- Travel and History

9. Do you attend shows? Not many. Don't know of any near Coos Bay.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 PM
David Kathman

I've posted about myself on a couple of threads in the past, but I like this kind of thing, so I'll go along with this one too.

1. Name- David Kathman

2. Age- 49

3. Day job- Mutual fund analyst. Basically, I talk to a lot of money managers, crunch some numbers, and write about mutual funds and investing, trying to make it all understandable for ordinary people.

4. Location- Chicago, Illinois

5. Collecting interest- Very eclectic, including some of just about everything. Pre-war sets I have at least 50 of include T206 (300+, with many tough backs), T205, T212, T210, and N172, plus some of just about every T and E card set except a few of the real toughies. Also representative samples of most major sets from 1920 on, and Topps sets or near-sets from 1967-1991. I also collect non-sport tobacco cards, including several non-sport T-card sets and a pretty good type collection (N and T cards), plus advertising trade cards from the late 1800s, of which I have around 5,000 (17 albums worth).

6. Family- Not married, but I have a girlfriend with a 7 year old daughter. Parents, two brothers, two sisters, all with spouses and kids (8 nieces and nephews).

7. How long in hobby- Started in 1975, the year I became interested in baseball, when I collected the Topps MVP subset because I liked the pictures of old cards. Started more seriously the following year, when I went to my first card shop and paid $2.95 to a mail-order dealer to get one card from each Topps set from 1952 through 1975. Took a break from 1983 to 1991, then got back in and have never been totally back out, though there were some stretches of several years when I wasn't actively collecting much.

8. Other interests- Shakespeare and Elizabethan theater history (I've published many scholarly papers and go to the Shakespeare Association of America meeting every year); medieval history (I go to the International Medieval Congress in Kalamazoo every year and sometimes give a paper there); theater (I go to many, many plays and used to perform improv comedy); the U.S. Supreme Court; popular culture of the 20th century (especially popular music); politics; and lots of other stuff. I have over 5,000 books.

9. Do you attend shows? This year's National was the first card show I had been to in many years, and it was a lot of fun. I went to numerous card shows in the early 80s and then again in the early-to-mid-90s, but after that other things got in the way, and then eBay came along.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Glyn Parson

Default About Me

1. Name- Glyn Parson

2. Age- 38

3. Day job- Now Owner Spring training Sportscards ( Starting In June/July President All County Employment Services)

4. Location- Blandon PA

5. Collecting interest- T5's and Pittsburgh Pirates

6. Family- wife and 4 year old daughter

7. How long in hobby- 31 years

8. Other interests- Classic Rock n Roll, Traveling to visit friends around USA

9. Do you attend shows? Yes mostly in Philly area and National but i travel occasionally for a show.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Jimi

1. Name- Jimi Thayer

2. Age- 32

3. Day job- 3rd grade teacher, high school percussion instructor

4. Location- Howard, OH -- about an hour from Columbus

5. Collecting interest- 1957 Topps high grade set, Lections, T205s, HOF RCs, and a few other random things

6. Family- wife and two daughters that are 6 and 3

7. How long in hobby- 25 years, but about 8 years in prewar cards

8. Other interests- I write music for a local high school percussion ensemble that performs a rock show (lights, smoke machines, etc....love it!)

9. Do you attend shows? In the last 10 years I've been to only 3 shows which includes the 2005 and 2007 Nationals
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Barry Arnold

Default jimi

always glad to see you back around, ole buddy.
remember the old epdg days!

best,
barry
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 PM

name matthew dunbar - age 29 - day job stay at home father- collecting interest. mainly caramel cards and what ever catchs my eye- family. fiance and 10 month old daughter- 5 year in hobby- i attend shows when i can find them around columbus ohio

Last edited by esd10; 12-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.