NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default Who buys trimmed cards?

Posted By: joe maples

Just curious after reading posts about trimmed cards. How many on this board buy trimmed cards and know they are trimmed. I have some trimmed cards bought years ago before grading and I did not know they were trimmed. I myself don't buy cards that are trimmed if I know in advance.

Does it matter if it is a rare card and you might not see another in a while?

Thanks Joe

Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

PSA doesn't seem to notice, but SGC does. Yes indeedy!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

What is worse to you?

Trimming that you can not detect, or staining which you can?

Poor centering, or a pinhole?

These and related questions are for each individual to choose. In some cases, rarity and cost are factors.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

If it's a very rare and/or expensive card that would otherwise be impossible for me to acquire, then yes, I would buy a trimmed card. However, I would do so only if it were sold as trimmed and priced accordingly.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I buy trimmed cards if its an Old Judge card ive been looking for,for awhile.I figure i can always try to upgrade later but if i cant id rather have a trimmed one rather than not have one at all

Old 12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

I will buy stained or off center cards, not trimmed if I know about it, I do have a 1953 Glendale Houtemann with staple holes. Of course that card is tough and conditions are not to good for these Hot dog cards.

Joe

Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...done with intent to deceive is something that makes me dislike the card intensely. I recently passed over a T206 Elberfeld to complete my set because it was trimmed, but otherwise in VG-EX condition. For the same price, I purchased an Elberfeld with almost no back in SGC 10 condition. I am very happy with this card. If it had a pin hole, that would've been okay, too.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

That's a good question. I have about 20 raw T cards currently in my collection, almost all purchased as singles on ebay, none of them listed as trimmed. I'm almost certain four of them are trimmed, and possibly one or two others. For what it's worth, I don't think any of my SGC, GAI, or PSA cards are trimmed.

The trimmed cards I bought early on were all in the $20 range, so I don't feel like I was completely ripped off; I just consider those mistakes a valuable learning experience. These days I don't completely avoid auctions on cards that appear trimmed, but I do bid much lower than I previously would have. I also know of a couple of sellers on ebay who deal primarily in trimmed cards (without disclosing this fact in their listings), so I usually steer clear of anything they have to sell. Incidentally, over the year or so that I've been collecting T207s, it seems to me that roughly 30% of all the raw specimens on ebay are trimmed.

Anyone else have any estimates of trimming prevalence for particular sets?

Old 12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I think the value on trimmed cards are all over the place. Just tonight, I sold two cards from the same series: 1933 World Wide Gum Mickey Cochrane and Moe Berg. These two cards should be roughly the same price in their american Goudey form - if not trimmed. However, the Berg went for $160 while the Cochrane only went for $26.

Berg

Cochrane

Trimmed cards in authentic holders are just starting to pop up. I think it will take a while before people have a good idea of how much collectors value them compared to untrimmed examples.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

I buy trimmed cards all the time. Almost all of my cards are beaters. some arent' even in one piece.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I predict that trimmed, otherwise really sharp looking pre-war cards, (especially caramels), which are slabbed as "authentic" will really rise in value in the next 10 years.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Some issues are "hand trimmed" to begine with and for one, if I like a card and it's a difficult issue I would pick it up. Not all card collecting is about condition only. I would jump at and I'm sure a bunch of other members on this board would jump at a Obak T4 with the border trimmed off or O.J. with the add cut off, etc. Collect what you like and don't worry what others think.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

Ditto what John said.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

The only time I've bought trimmed cards is if there were part of a larger lot of un-trimmed specimens.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I will not buy a trimmed card. I don't mind staining, have issues with centering and only in the most extreme of desparate cases will I accept a pin hole of any sorts.

I agree with the above as far as that slabbed term "AUTHENTIC" goes of late as people are really starting to push those prices up there as there is a suddent interest during this hot market.

DJ

Old 12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't have a problem buying trimmed cards. It makes an otherwise very expensive card much more affordable to me. Perfect example is the e101 Wagner I picked up. No way I could have afforded the card in the condition it's in if it was not trimmed. I get a great looking card for a price I can afford. I'd rather have clean, unaltered cards, but when you are on a really tight budget, you have to make concessions some times.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if it was priced right i would buy a trimmed card. i always wonder how many trimmed cards are slabbed as nm and higher?

Old 12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Stuff I avoid, in order of importance for my tastes:

1. Writing
2. Pinholes (except larger issues like T3s or Sporting News Supplements, although I don't own any of either issue at this time)
3. Tears or missing pieces (except on cards with removable tabs like 1959 Yoo Hoo or on prize redemption cards that were "canceled")
4. Trimming
5. Tape
6. Tape stains
7. Back damage

I wouldn't rule out buying a trimmed card, although I've only knowingly done it once. I'm not a condition freak, I just like to have the whole card.

-Al

Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

If the price is right. I just bought a Walter Johnson Maple Crispette and I bought a group of Toleteros Negro Leaguers that had been trimmed. For 30 bucks I got cards that would have cost over a thousand untrimmed. I also have a few e90's that are trimmed. If I do buy a trimmed card knowingly, I like the trimming to be obvious. I'm weird like that.

--Chad

Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

the more likely I am to accept it in trimmed/altered state. That being said - I would prefer an unaltered beater to a trimmed EX card any day of the week

Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

If a card is impossible or next to impossible to get in an untrimmed form or it is particularly special for some other reason and I really want it, I would buy it. Generally though, I avoid trimmed cards if they are not hard to find in untrimmed form.
JimB

Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

I'd buy a trimmed card as a filler, if it were at a "trimmed" price. What I hate to see are people buying cards that are trimmed, and not disclosed on ebay, and go for "untrimmed" prices. (a beat to death subject, I know, I know, let it go .....)

The one "defect" that blows my mind are pin holes. It's amazing to me how a pin hole, even on an ex/nm card, can absolutely "kill" the "percieved" value. Man, I'll take an great card with a pin hole for those rock-bottom prices any day. First, imho, it does detract from the card as much as trim/paper loss/tape/residue/staining etc. And, secondly, it show that the original owner enjoyed and displayed his card up on the wall for all to see. In fact, in some issues, t3/t9, exhibits, I think pin holes actually adds to the esthectics of the card ...

Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot York

I have three. Two measure small, Sisler Neilson II, Cicotte Sweet Cap 350 and my 8 corner Max Carey beauty.