NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 AM

Default 444 Photos of the 2011 National posted on SportsAntiques.com

http://sportsantiques.com/2011_Nat_PH_Pg1.htm
Please know I've posted 444 photos of the 2011 National Sports Collectors Convention on my site SportsAntiques.com, link above.

Pickings were a little slim this year, although I still did pretty good...picked up five items...photos of two below...The Ratch Peerless sign is reverse glass printed...First reverse glass sports related sign I've ever seen....the flat top football helmet had me!...the basketball trophy is a Spalding trophy made by Dieges and Clust..has the Spalding mark front and center.
-Carlton

Photobucket
14 1/2" wide x 12 1/2" tall

Photobucket
16" tall

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-16-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Brad

Default Awesome - thank you!

Carlton-
Amazing photos, as always. For those of us who weren't able to make it this year, these pics really bring the show to us.

Thank you so much for posting!
Brad
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Outstanding photos! I really miss actually seeing and touching the items in person. BRING THE NATIONAL BACK TO CALIFORNIA!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Default Carlton

Great pickups Carlton, That sign has an amazing look, and the trophy is great too! Thanks for posting photos. I'm already angry at myself for not getting out there, as in the first group of photos, I saw something I likely would have bought. By chance do you know who the dealer was in the first group of photos you putup (the photos with Corey Leiby in the booth) - the booth had a silver basketball trophy in the case (possibly the one you bought). Is that Bushings booth?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Thanks!

Thanks for posting these great pictures!

Jeff
Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Great pickups Carlton, That sign has an amazing look, and the trophy is great too! Thanks for posting photos. I'm already angry at myself for not getting out there, as in the first group of photos, I saw something I likely would have bought. By chance do you know who the dealer was in the first group of photos you putup (the photos with Corey Leiby in the booth) - the booth had a silver basketball trophy in the case (possibly the one you bought). Is that Bushings booth?
Hey Keith, Thanks, glad you like the sign....The booth Corey is in is Herbert Thomas the third's booth...PM me and I'll give you his phone. And yes that's the same basketball trophy I got...It had a few dents and tarnish but it had a Dieges and Clust plate on the back, and it was for a the California Coast Conference Championship in 1923-24 won by Fresno State college...and it was a Spalding trophy....you see these kinds of basketball trophies offered but this one had all the right ingriedients...and it was a full sized one not the smaller version....a basketball version of a Spalding trophy...and it had the wood base as opposed to a bakelite/plastic one

There were very few trophies this year...very few good advertsiing signs....It was tough this year but I did good...and Ryan Sims found a lot of stuff...He bought a Harvard vs Exeter track broadside I ended up buying off him...I went over to his hotel room to pick it up and you should have seen the haul he made...I mean like 20 or so items....good uniforms and equipment posters...I can't beleive I sat there talking to him and forgt to take a photo of it all spread over his sofa...Below Ryan with the Harvard Exeter he sold me.

Photobucket

It's an interesting poster...Exeter, a prep school...competing with Harvard a college...I'm assuming it was Harvard's freshman team...I've only had time to do some cursory research but I was able to pull up an Exeter sports history page on the internet that supplied a little info...
http://www.exeter.edu/documents/Exet...portsPages.pdf
If it was the Harvard freshman team, who would be the class of 1916...I guess that would make the poster from 1913...I think....and the page in the link above references a Coach George Conners below who apparently had a heck of a track team

1915 Coach George Connors
and his dominant Exeter track
team win a sixth straight New
England Interscholastic title.

I also found this interesting clipping from the New York Times 1909 that references the Plimpton grounds mentioned on the poster

Photobucket

Wish I had the time to research more

By the way....plug for me....if anyone gets a braodside like this one for sale please contact me...for most any athletic sport...especially 19th century college ones....baseball, football, rowing, lacrosse, etc.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Congrats on the awesome basketball trophy

Carlton,

Congrats on the awesome basketball trophy and thanks for the photos!

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 10-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the photos Carlton! Great eye candy. I love your sign!

Ricky Y
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Carlton...Thanks for sharing the great photos, and very nice pickups! Really dig you site. Barry
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Default thanks

Gentleman, thanks so much for your encouraging words, glad you enjoy the photos...you can also see photos and story of every National since 2003, except for 2010, at the top right side bar of my home page.

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum...hp?f=10&t=4741
By the way...if you want to see a heck of a write up on the Ratch Peerless company see the link above...very informative...someone told me a Ratch Peerless glove sold recently for like $3,000.00 or $4,000.00 if I remember right....not a glove guy but that got my attention.
-Carlton

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-18-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Great photos Carlton!!

Thanks for posting these photos of the 2011 National. I wish I could have been there, but I had a great reason for missing it.

BTW, I especially liked the action sequence of Perezfan Mark Steinberg going in for the kill on the white vintage baseball fan. I guess this is how it's done, eh??

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-18-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thanks for posting these photos of the 2011 National. I wish I could have been there, but I had a great reason for missing it.

BTW, I especially liked the action sequence of Perezfan Mark Steinberg going in for the kill on the white vintage baseball fan. I guess this is how it's done, eh??
I don't know if I went in for the kill or if I "got killed". That fellow really put my negotiating skills to the test, and I walked away knowing I couldn't get him down another penny. Still pretty sure I overpaid, but guess that's to be expected at the National. There is a big benefit to seeing and inspecting this stuff in person (as opposed to just viewing an internet photo).

And even if the dealer prices are high, the face to face interaction and time spent with collector friends more than makes up for it. Carlton did his usual great job documenting everything, and even provided a terrific Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza Feast at Herb and Matt's Booth. "Hats off" to Carlton
Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM

I'll echo the words of others and offer another huge thank you for the terrific photos Carlton. It really is the next best thing to being there, and it sure was fun seeing Mark work that deal!
I had a couple of people tell me they were disappointed in the amount of memorabilia at the show, but your photographic evidence seems to prove them wrong!

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Anyone remember how much the Babe Ruth Old Gold Sign was in the hotel room?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Anyone remember how much the Babe Ruth Old Gold Sign was in the hotel room?
The Ruth Old Gold Sign belongs to my brother-in-law. If you are interested PM me and I will send you some info and his email address.

Bill
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Default National pick ups

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2011_nat_carlton_buys.htm
This is old news but I fineally got around to posting all my finds on my site from this years National...link above...not sure if I previously posted everything here on net54

Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Default Jeez Carlton!

I absolutely concur with everyone's post regarding your pick ups at this years National. You've got yourself quite the eye there my friend...