NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
"Ted,
I share your frustration, as do many others who have contacted me privately.
JimB "

You are "frustrated" that not everyone agrees with your assesment? As I stated previously, if this was as "clear cut" as you make it out to be, then why is the subject continually revisited?
For the love of our sanity...sell your stuff and leave the hobby like you said you would!!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
For the love of our sanity...sell your stuff and leave the hobby like you said you would!!
Amen!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Changed my mind. Think i'll stick around a bit. By the way, look at every post I have made here. Have I attacked anyone, or been anything OTHER than a perfect gentleman in these discussions? Yet you are pushing me out the door because my opinion differs from yours?

Edited to add: In fact, i've just made another major purchase! :-)

Last edited by Chicago206; 04-12-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: to add info
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Joe P.

Default I get a kick out of this board ... :)

Some can't handle different opinions .....

Whilst others know what button to touch .....

You gotta luv those flippers .....

Last edited by Potomac Yank; 04-12-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Tony N.

Default Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back

Maybe it's me, but it seems like every Ty Cobb with a Cobb back, the card seems to be out of focus. Every card I looked at, Cobb's eyes seem to be fuzzy, or maybe the registration is bad on each card?

Anyone else notice this?

Tony
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Best thread ever.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Joe P.

Default Yup .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Maybe it's me, but it seems like every Ty Cobb with a Cobb back, the card seems to be out of focus. Every card I looked at, Cobb's eyes seem to be fuzzy, or maybe the registration is bad on each card?

Anyone else notice this?

Tony

That's found on most non T206 cards.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Anyone else notice this?

Tony
This one is pretty sharp. I traded this to a board member a few years ago. By the way, there is no gloss on this one either.
JimB

Edited to add: This is the nicest example in the hobby.

Last edited by E93; 04-12-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Joe P.

Default Yeah ... but where are the stains .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
This one is pretty sharp. I traded this to a board member a few years ago. By the way, there is no gloss on this one either.
JimB

Edited to add: This is the nicest example in the hobby.

If you don't find stains ... You must acquit .....
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Despite the bickering, this is a excellent thread on a topic of interest to many of us here. It also seems that wherever you classify the Cobb/Cobb it may consist of a Type 1 (no gloss) and a Type 2 (glossy). It certainly seems like it is within the T206 orbit based upon the latest information summarized here and I appreciate Jon starting it and Ted, Rich,Jim and others continuing it.

I may be able to snag a Drum or Uzit back someday but the Cobb back will definitely mean my back run will be incomplete. That's okay - my set will be minus the big 4 when I am done too.

That ad is great-we get Atlanta (the Russellcollection) and North Carolina (the factory) tied together in it and have the San Francisco intrigue added. That almost (but not quite) screams "Obak Cobb" to me!

In all seriousness, how far west did the ATC market before we get into the Obak/California territory and the west coast tobacco companies?

Some thoughts on the ACC while we are at it:

When Burdick put together the T206 listing he was grouping similar cards that were marketed together as well, I have always thought, which (the marketing together) is a key point. He and the other collectors that developed the T206 checklist may have had access to some primary source information we don't know and how they grouped T206's may have been influenced by such accounts. While not necessarily sacrosanct, the logic that generally went into the T card listings always seemed well thought out to me. I realize there are some exceptions but the ACC brought order from chaos and some chaos still remains.

In any event, the ACC numbering is designed so sub groups and extensions can be added, which Buck Barker and cohorts did with relish in the 60's with the Catalog Updates. They even changed the ACC numbering to a year based system for Topps and a few other annual issues starting around 1968.

For T206 you could develop a subgroup of say -1 for each back of normally sized cards that was issued in a slide shell pack, -2 for the narrower AB's and say a -3 for Polar Bear (and maybe even the Cobb), packed with loose tobacco, which highlights slight differences but retains the overall grouping.

Now, what about those Type 1 Coupons......

Last edited by toppcat; 04-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:

Anyone else notice this?

Tony
While reading this old thread I came across this observation. Is this generally true of Cobb back cards? I've looked at Ryan's card and it seems fuzzy, but that could be the scan? I know that the recently found "matchbox" Cobb back has this same poor registration. The red background seems to be shifted down slightly, causing the eyes to appear unfocused. Does anyone know if this is true of the cards in the Lucky 7 find? And does it seem to be true of all Cobb backs?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

I have one with no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (6.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:07 PM
pete ullman

Since i last saw this thread...what have i learned??? That the cobb w /cobb back is still not a t206...and that it is likely more common than drum, uzit, lennox, ab 460, cycle 460, coupon type I,III, t214, blank back...among others!!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I have one with no issues.
Great card Steven. Does it feature the glossy finish?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Paul

Quote:
Changed my mind. Think i'll stick around a bit.
If you want to participate in this forum like a normal person and not like an antagonist, you ought to keep your posts to a minimal and your opinions to yourself for awhile. Like I previously mentioned, because of your behavior, you have zero credibility -- no one cares about your opinion and even those of us that might agree would never stick up for you right now. You are radioactive.

Take a couple weeks off, share some pick-ups in the Pick Up thread, but leave your opinions at the door -- no one is interested.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Joe P.

Default You gotta Luv this thread .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
If you want to participate in this forum like a normal person and not like an antagonist, you ought to keep your posts to a minimal and your opinions to yourself for awhile. Like I previously mentioned, because of your behavior, you have zero credibility -- no one cares about your opinion and even those of us that might agree would never stick up for you right now. You are radioactive.

Take a couple weeks off, share some pick-ups in the Pick Up thread, but leave your opinions at the door -- no one is interested.

Then why are you answering?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
David McDonald

Joe: A sadist is someone who wouldn't hurt a masochist.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Joann

Quote:
Edited to add: In fact, i've just made another major purchase! :-)
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching the BST for it.

I'm enjoying the substantive parts of this thread. Good points, explanation and observations all around, for the most part. Leon makes a good point in that if there isn't consensus, then it makes sense to go by what Burdick originally decided - sort of like having to knock him off the hill. I like the thought of that.

And for my money, Ted is practically a national treasure when it comes to T206 discussions. So I'm not spending a whole lot of time trying to decide if I should consider his opinion or that of someone that is admittedly new to the hobby.

As to Chicago thinking that people are getting on him merely because they disagree with his assessment, well I guess I disagree with his assessment. It's like hearing a big crash, looking up and seeing a Chevy wrapped around the light post. Steam coming out from under the hood. Hysterical driver. Probably you can figure that the Chevy just hit the light post. So if someone wants to come by and say that the Chevy was already smashed up and just parked in front of the lamppost, using vague logic like one tire is less flat then the others and the lamppost is tilted toward the street, I think the howls of frustration and derision are less about disagreeing with a reasonable assessment and more about not wanting to hear random and undeveloped thinking. Even more so on this, one of the hobby's more sophisticated issues. If that makes sense.

And Jon - thank you for the observation on the tobacco stains. I might not know anything about this or that factory or exact dates of issue, but that's something I can appreciate right away in terms of the implications.

J

Last edited by jmk59; 04-12-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Ok

Last edited by Chicago206; 04-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Tim

Here is a larger image of the ad originally posted by Shawn.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Wait....that ad is dated 1910...yet it says Penn Tobacco. I was just informed earlier in this thread that ATC controlled Cobb Tobacco by 1903. Hmmmmm....the plot thickens.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Wait....that ad is dated 1910...yet it says Penn Tobacco. I was just informed earlier in this thread that ATC controlled Cobb Tobacco by 1903. Hmmmmm....the plot thickens.
If you were paying attention, you would know that you were actually informed that Penn Tobacco was bought by ATC in 1903. But paying attention does not seem to be your strong suit. It was one of a number of smaller tobacco companies owned by ATC before the monopoly was broken up in 1912.
JimB
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching the BST for it.

A reminder of why Joann needs to post more frequently.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Joe P.

Default Wrong ... wrong ... wrong psychology .....

Quote:

whitehse why don't you try reverse Psy.
Something like:

Hi Chi-town, don't ever change your eva-changin modes.
You keep remindin us of Sybil, or was it The Three Faces of Eve?