NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb giveaway bat

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I just got back from the flea market where I saw a dealer who knows I collect vintage items. He showed me a bat he recently acquired which was approx 30" long, thin shaft and barrel, had an oval shaped label that inside read Official Ty Cobb Ball Bat Made in USA 1909. He told me it was a ballpark giveaway and he understood there to be only 2000 given out. I did a quick google search and found nothing, any help as to value?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Harrell

Keith,

The bat was a souvenir which I believe was sold at the ball park. A cache of these bats was found a few years back in a warehouse and they have found their way to the market. The bats typically go for between $50-125, depending on condition. Many of the bats are warped and have worm holes due to storage. They came in two lengths, a 30" and a shorter one about 26". They show up on Ebay commonly and there is one up for sale now. You might want to track it. A somewhat lower condition copy sold about 3 days ago for $77. I have one that I bought on Evilbay about 5-6 years ago for $60. Its in nice condition with a strong label but has a slight warp to it and a few worm holes . Most attention is paid to the stamping of the label.

John

Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Hello
Is this the same type of bat your talking about. At least one comes up each month. I think one just ended the other day. Not sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ty-Cobb-Baseball-Bat-1909_W0QQitemZ110249930016QQihZ001QQcategoryZ50125 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Thats the one Brock. Thanks to both you and John for a quick, definative answer. I think I'm going to pass on it.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Sorry to dig this back up but I want to make sure I know what I have here.

Is this the same bat you guys are referring to. What type period is it from?

Just want to make sure this is what I have.

Thanks

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

James... That is indeed the same bat in question.

Very interestingly, Memory Lane had one in their current Auction (closing Saturday, 9/13). It occupies a full half page in their current catalogue (with a minimum bid of $1,000!)

Someone must have told them it was a common piece, worth nowhere near the minimum bid, because they have since pulled it. For anyone that has the Catalogue, it was Lot #1314. Memory Lane obviously thought the bat was incredibly rare and/or unique.

Having consigned them Lot #1299- the 1930s Luke Appling Game-used Glove (with a letter of provenance from the Appling family), I could not believe the amount of space they devoted to the Souvenir Cobb Bat. Game-used gloves of hall-of-famers from the 1930s are almost non-existent, but the Appling Glove was given just a tiny photo and write-up.

Safe to say that Memory Lane's expertise on Cards far exceeds their knowledge of memorabilia!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Mark

So is this from the turn of the century or was it done much later. I probably picked this up at an auction in the mid 1990s and never really knew mcuh about it.

It is a very neat piece IMO and looks great in a pre-war collection.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

James... Yes, it is of the time period and was produced during Cobb's playing days. Yours is a very nice example, and appears to be in far better condition than most. As John Harrell stated above, there was a recent "find" in which many of these bats were uncovered (most of which were in deplorable condition). These bats should be rare, but really are not, with even nice examples like yours turning up rather frequently.

Still, a very nice piece and a nifty artifact from Cobb's playing days! Sorry to go off on the Memory Lane tangent... I just found the timing to be pertinent to this thread, and also was amazed at how drastically they miscalculated the rarity/value of this piece. Hope this info helps!

Old 09-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I'm not convinced these are from Cobbs era at all. I think they are from long after his career was over. I stopped by a flea market in Cedar Lake Indiana about 8-10 years ago and there were two dealers who each had 15-20 of them for $25 a piece.
Every example I've seen is made of poplar, usually have knots, and often warped. Have you ever seen a poorly made piece of memorabilia from the teens? They had plenty of ash etc available then and probably would have put more quality into a piece particularly with Cobbs name on it. Also the font and stamping look more modern.
I think they are vintage, but probably from the after his death.