NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone here collect cards by color?

Posted By: Jason L

Now before anyone here thinks I'm being racist, or trying to condonce card altering, relax. This is just another (while very on-topic)flaky post from yours truly of sunset fame. Sorry, these thoughts pop into my head about how collectors collect, and I can't resist reaching out to ask, just in case anyone will take me seriously. So...

People collect in all sorts of ways: player, HOFer, team, set, sunset quality(maybe), league, etc...on and on. And folks wondering about Dan's displayed collection prompted my question:

Does anyone here collect cards (or group them) by the card's predominant color?

Here's a better question, and maybe it will get some of you to show off these amazing collections: Can you group and post cards together that feature the same color and see how it looks? There might be some really cool displays that could be assembled this way.

Show us your Red background T206s
Show us your green background T205s
etc...

show us your red background CJs

(and no, this isn't really Peter C posting)

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

I think it's a very relevent question. I know many collectors that only collect cards with different colors and I know some (Brian V comes to mind) that almost solely collect black and white cards...for me...I am integrated .....regards

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I collect Batter-Ups, and I definitely prefer the red, green and blue cards to the black and white or sepia versions. The magenta-tinted cards, though, are a bit over the top for me. I also like the green and blue Exhibits from the late 20s. Conversely, there are cards I don't collect because of the colors, namely most Topps issues. Pink backgrounds and purple letters just don't look good with Yankee pinstripes ...

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Other collecting segments I know of include pinstripes and portraits. Obaks are a great set for color, uniforms, portraits, sky/sunsets, and the cards of a single team tend to make a panoramic...

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

I don't know which Dan you are referring to, but I do actively seek out cards from two sets (e99 & e100) in green.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I thought this was a neat question as well. I've collected "by color" many times before. Previously, I was working on an e98 set of orange cards only. Sometimes I get it into my head that a bunch of cards side by side on a website that have the same color look really neat. One of the things I like about the e103s, is that they are all portraits with each card having that dark red background. While they don't get a lot of attention on this board, I think the m116 blues are really attractive cards as well. A few of my "blues" are listed here --

http://www.geocities.com/redmaccie/m116.html

I've even taken this as far as to collect cards by border color even. I don't really collect too many t210s however, I'll always go after the orange bordered ones if they come available. The sharp red borders on the 1918 Zeenut set make that one of my favorite PCL issues as well.

-Brian

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Sold the blue

Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

Tell me once again, why this topic is relevant and mine wasn't?

Peter C.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

that's what you meant by "colors".....here are some I kept because they have color themes..

Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Pete,

It's because for better or worse you have developed a bad reputation here. Much of it is probably undeserved, but it's a reputation nonetheless.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Peter,

I’m going to answer your question as objectively as I can. Please note that I’m not trying to be malicious, sarcastic or mean when I say this, but I do feel that the board’s focus is still something that eludes you.

The board’s focus is quite simple. Pre-WWII baseball cards. That’s pretty much it. Jason’s question above is, in my opinion, very “on-topic” because it asks a question about said pre-WWII baseball cards. Even more than that, it asks for opinions on a certain way to collect these cards which is a nice question and appeals to many collectors – including myself since I actually have collected “by color” many times before. I therefore, responded to Jason’s post because I felt I have something to add to the conversation (more than just a random, flippant comment mind you) and even provided a link to my own website so that Jason and everyone could see an example of what he was talking about that I had already put together. I stayed on topic the entire time I was posting, didn’t hijack his thread to talk about something else and (hopefully) gave Jason a quality answer that is worth reading.

The main reason people became irritated with you is because many of your posts have nothing to do with cards, which is again, the board’s focus. I will certainly give you credit for having come up with a couple quality posts in the past. A lot of your others however have been grossly off-topic. Those off-topic posts have now become so frequent in number that people have begun to protest and you’ve earned yourself a bad rep, as James mentioned above.

Another objection people have is the quality of posts you’ve provided us. I believe that posts about the players that are on the cards we collect is on-topic and have seen many good ones. Many threads people start of this nature are informative, relay some sort of a story or information about the player and leave us with a feeling that perhaps, just maybe we learned something by reading it. Your posts however don’t seem to have any sort of a “tie-in” to cards at all and are seemingly just random thoughts that pop into your head. Examples of this include the “Who are the drunk players from this era? Scans appreciated!” type of threads that I’ve seen you start. Threads like this don’t really have much to offer in terms of depth. If you had perhaps educated us all on a story you had heard once about a player or tied the whole thing into collecting somehow, it would have been much more “on-topic” and I don’t think anyone would have hassled you for it. If I could provide any advice here it would be to really put some thought into your posts. Please remember that this is not a blog or a chatroom where simply blurting out the first thing that comes to mind is appropriate. If you take the time to think about what your posting, perhaps even researching the subject matter ahead of time and then coming up with a good, clean thread about that area of interest, I think people will respect you a lot more for it.

Regards,
Brian McQueen

Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I will try the exact opposite approach that Brian just tried...

<<Tell me once again, why this topic is relevant and mine wasn't?>>

If you don't already know Peter, you never will

Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Ive started on a set of e94 purples.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Not only is this "on-topic" I find it very interesting. Would've never even thought about it?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Does collecting ones with ballpark structures in the background count?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Collecting by color is news to me, but I like it. Certainly I have enough cards that can be arranged to make it appear that I do -- but that's cheating. I wonder if anyone does it subconsciously -- maybe finds themselves having similar color cards without realizing it. I can't see how that is disimilar to collecting certain type cards in a style that they find appealing. Is it too strange to ask if anyone collects by color(s) outside of a certain set, that is, across various sets?

*edited for clarity...hope it works.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

In putting together my collection, in particular the vintage baseball part, I decided it was important to not repeat color too often as all my cards are displayed in cases alongside eachother. I wanted not only a spread of issues (only one of each type allowed), but then tried to pick colors within issues or different issues altogether if it meant getting a nice color spread across the cards...on top of scarcity, value and aesthetic appeal as factors for purchase.
But then again I'm a nutjob.

Daniel

Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Yes

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Josh - those purple E94s look fantastic. That is quite a goal that you are pursuing.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

This topic gets more interesting by the post. No kidding.
Anyone collect T206s by sunset style? (No kidding either.)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Thanks Richard.

I also arrange all my e93s by color - each card obviously only comes in one color, so I keep all the cards of similar colors together - I think it displays better that way.