NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2024, 05:59 AM
Jim Reynolds

Default Evidence of Trimming? Your thoughts?/

I recently had this 1933 DeLong card come back in a sub and I want to question the description on the label. This card says Authentic, Evidence of Trimming. To me, trimming would be the cutting of a side by a person usually to make the card appear to have more even borders, or sharp corners, or to perhaps fit a certain frame of some kind.

This card obviously was not trimmed by hand, but instead has pieces missing, simply from wear and tear and handling, perhaps being stuffed in a boy’s back pocket for example.

On all four sides of the card, it has enough of a white border to meet the size of the black insert. This card was never trimmed by hand, but rather just has small portions missing from handling. Most of the missing portions are rather rough, but even the one at the bottom right, which has a more straight line to it is easily attributed to that portion being folded back, and breaking off more cleanly than the rest of the wear and tear.

Here’s the criteria for a 1:

GRADE

QUALITY
POOR

DESCRIPTION
This card usually exhibits many of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, small portions of the card may be missing.

I don’t usually argue about grades received, but I think to say that this was trimmed is incorrect and I believe that it meets the SGC definition of a 1 grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6886.jpg (218.5 KB, 626 views)
Old 03-29-2024, 06:40 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I think it has too much card missing to be a 1…probably have to call that more than small pieces gone. But I could see it in an Authentic without the trimming designation maybe.

With all the corner areas gone, makes me think it was either pinned up on a board at the corners or was possibly cut like kids do and then suffered further wear.

But it is damaged really unusually, I can’t say with any real certainty what brought it to that condition. But a straight Authentic would probably be as good as you could get. And you might be able to get that elsewhere if SGC won’t change their opinion.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:28 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I think it has too much card missing to be a 1…probably have to call that more than small pieces gone. But I could see it in an Authentic without the trimming designation maybe.

With all the corner areas gone, makes me think it was either pinned up on a board at the corners or was possibly cut like kids do and then suffered further wear.

But it is damaged really unusually, I can’t say with any real certainty what brought it to that condition. But a straight Authentic would probably be as good as you could get. And you might be able to get that elsewhere if SGC won’t change their opinion.
Thank you. I do think that a straight Authentic grade is better than the EOT, which makes it seem purposely altered. I don’t believe that to be the case.

I am wondering though what they consider “small portions missing” because I do have other cards with small portions missing that received a 1. I’m wondering if it is some kind of percentage that they go by that we’re not aware of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5835.jpeg (175.7 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5834.jpeg (159.5 KB, 580 views)
Old 03-29-2024, 07:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Grading is subjective and a crapshoot.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Thank you. I do think that a straight Authentic grade is better than the EOT, which makes it seem purposely altered. I don’t believe that to be the case.

I am wondering though what they consider “small portions missing” because I do have other cards with small portions missing that received a 1. I’m wondering if it is some kind of percentage that they go by that we’re not aware of.
The card in question has LARGE chunks missing and the bottom corners look like they could have been cut at one time. I agree with the grade but think just Authentic would also work and be better for the card owner.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:46 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

This card obviously was not trimmed by hand, but instead has pieces missing, simply from wear and tear and handling, perhaps being stuffed in a boy’s back pocket for example.

On all four sides of the card, it has enough of a white border to meet the size of the black insert. This card was never trimmed by hand, but rather just has small portions missing from handling. Most of the missing portions are rather rough, but even the one at the bottom right, which has a more straight line to it is easily attributed to that portion being folded back, and breaking off more cleanly than the rest of the wear and tear.
This seems quite a stretch - it appears much more likely the bottom right corner, at absolute minimum, was cut off at one point. The wear pattern is strongly indicative of this.

The card appears accurately described, although not trimmed with intent to deceive.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:50 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default What we’ve come to

Who would have thought when the grading services first came out that we’d be keeping our hopes and dreams up just for a 1????
Old 03-29-2024, 07:53 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I agree with the Authentic grade due to amount of card missing also. I can't remember seeing a 1 personally with this level of removed material.

I don't think the evidence of trimming was necessary as so many authentic grades exist without as it with obvious trims. Granted the lower half without handling it looks like it was cleaned up with scissors, but still seems petty with so much material gone already.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:07 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Sadly I think the grader nailed you on the bottom right corner edge...looks awful sharp like straitened by cutting object. Idk that's all I could think of.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Not sure I follow why it's a big deal.

With or without the notation, it's pretty obvious that there are pieces missing.

I can't imagine anyone looking at this card and thinking that it's somehow less valuable or less important simply because of the notation.

Maybe you're hoping for the return of the SGC set registry, and by losing the notation, you'll get a bump in the scoring?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-29-2024, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

It does not meet the definition of a 1. Those are not small pieces missing. Not even a close call.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-29-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:41 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The card in question has LARGE chunks missing and the bottom corners look like they could have been cut at one time. I agree with the grade but think just Authentic would also work and be better for the card owner.
I guess my question then is what is considered small versus large? Probably a very subjective determination. Do grading companies base small versus large on a certain percentage of the card missing?

I also don’t believe that bottom right corner was cut. I think it was folded over back-and-forth enough times that it then separated.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 03-29-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Not sure I follow why it's a big deal.

With or without the notation, it's pretty obvious that there are pieces missing.

I can't imagine anyone looking at this card and thinking that it's somehow less valuable or less important simply because of the notation.

Maybe you're hoping for the return of the SGC set registry, and by losing the notation, you'll get a bump in the scoring?
It’s not necessarily that it’s a big deal. I feel like I’ve seen cards that have had significant amounts of the card missing. I was also wondering exactly what they consider a “small portion” of the card missing and the fact that they determined that there was evidence of trimming is not something that I agree with. I think the portions of card missing we’re just worn away over time Like rounded corners, but more substantial than that.

I’m not worried about the registry returning and the A versus the 1. More just that I feel that the way it was described with the trimming was not accurate in my estimation.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 03-29-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I guess my question then is what is considered small versus large? Probably a very subjective determination. Do grading companies base small versus large on a certain percentage of the card missing?

I also don’t believe that bottom right corner was cut. I think it was folded over back-and-forth enough times that it then separated.
I have no idea how the graders do it. For me your Boxing cards are at their limit for small pieces missing. The Delong is missing way too much for me to consider it a small portion. If it was just missing either the top right or bottom left them maybe it would be just a small portion.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Jim Reynolds

I seem to remember someone had some kind of a program where they could determine the percentage of card actually missing based on the photo. If someone can point me in the direction of how to do that, I would love to figure that out.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've had ones come back "too fragile to holder" isn't that part of the POINT of holdering them

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-29-2024, 11:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I actually laughed out loud when I saw that. Evidence of trimming? No shit, Sherlock, what was the clue that let you crack that case? Talk about overkill. It's like ta MK or MC qualifier on a PSA 1. Do we really need more than a 1 to know it's a beater?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-29-2024, 11:31 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I've had ones come back "too fragile to holder" isn't that part of the POINT of holdering them
Agree 100%. Holdering is the way to preserve it. Silly that they wont.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 03-29-2024 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I would think this means they were worried that the card would be damaged during the process of putting it into the holder.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Why even grade it? Anyone with eyes can see what it is. Who cares what some random stranger thinks about it? Why is this important?

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 03-29-2024, 04:11 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Why even grade it? Anyone with eyes can see what it is. Who cares what some random stranger thinks about it? Why is this important?
+1 on that, sir.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-29-2024, 05:52 PM
Dave

I had lots of cards from my childhood that should be graded "Authentic - Evidence Of Being Thrown Very Hard Into A Wall During A Game Of Knockdowns"

Hell, I might even pay extra for that notation.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:47 PM

Would you be happier with "Evidence of Tearing?". Or maybe "Evidence of Biting?"
Old 03-29-2024, 08:17 PM

I run into this issue often with hand cut Japanese menko. In my mind, “trimming” should have been done with an end goal in mind of trying to make a card look better. With menko, it often looks like a card was cut out by a kid whose scissor skills are lacking. (Which was often true). So in my mind, “trimming” isn’t the right term, but it often gets put on the slab.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2024, 09:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato15 View Post
Would you be happier with "Evidence of Tearing?". Or maybe "Evidence of Biting?"
That would be the elusive RN (rat nibble) designation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-29-2024, 11:40 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Evidence of trimming? No shit, Sherlock, what was the clue that let you crack that case?
This card seems like a good starting point to retrain any grader assigning numeric grades to trimmed cards. If they can't get this one correct, there's no hope. If they spot this one, you gradually increase the level of difficulty.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-29-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:42 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It certainly doesn't belong in a numeric holder, and they don't have a designation for "Evidence of Mutilation", so I'm not sure what the complaint is here. It's not like that flip is hurting the resale value of this card.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:40 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I can understand being annoyed by the “ evidence of trimming“
Evidence of trimming typically implies shenanigans - That Delong was obviously not trimmed to deceive .
Back in the old day you might’ve got a straight authentic or “genuine”
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE28C1F4-4295-4A54-A370-5537407FBE38.jpeg (64.4 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpeg DAB28038-5C4F-4F28-8BFD-32023EC1690C.jpeg (116.7 KB, 321 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 AM
Bill Avery

I don't think SGC does a straight Authentic anymore. Since they implemented their improved Authentic grade, they need a description and limited it to 4 choices. https://www.gosgc.com/authentic-Improvement
Old 03-30-2024, 08:29 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
I don't think SGC does a straight Authentic anymore. Since they implemented their improved Authentic grade, they need a description and limited it to 4 choices. https://www.gosgc.com/authentic-Improvement
Thanks I didn’t know that - Maybe they’ll add something to address too much of the card missing that would be better than “ evidence of trimming “
Old 03-30-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
One could argue the "altered" choice also encapsulates (pun intended) the "color added" and "evidence of trimming" choices.....
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 03-30-2024, 01:11 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Not exactly true. I got this back about a month ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5686.jpg (139.8 KB, 276 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 02:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Not exactly true. I got this back about a month ago.
I wonder if the “hand cut” element makes a difference in this case.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I wonder if the “hand cut” element makes a difference in this case.
This was the answer I received when I asked the question:

“When our Team is authenticating and evaluating a card for a possible numeric grade, they are looking at many aspects of a card. If our Team deemed a card to be altered, they will have it authenticated, with a secondary designation underneath this. However, there are some cards that our Team will only authenticate at this time. Some of these will include any blank back cards, modern sketch cards, or cards that have an error that affects the overall aspect of the card like missing ink or foil”.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Andrew

Just use a little of Kurt’s spray on it - should bring it up to at least a 4!
Old 04-05-2024, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

SO the answer is that there is no definitive answer? And why in the world would a blank back card only get an A, if I am reading that correctly? I am sure I am missing something.

Quote:
This was the answer I received when I asked the question:

“When our Team is authenticating and evaluating a card for a possible numeric grade, they are looking at many aspects of a card. If our Team deemed a card to be altered, they will have it authenticated, with a secondary designation underneath this. However, there are some cards that our Team will only authenticate at this time. Some of these will include any blank back cards, modern sketch cards, or cards that have an error that affects the overall aspect of the card like missing ink or foil”.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:46 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
SO the answer is that there is no definitive answer? And why in the world would a blank back card only get an A, if I am reading that correctly? I am sure I am missing something.
I’m just as confused.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:23 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I think the “blank back” Authentic is probably meant for cards that should have something on back but don’t. Although that’s not how it is worded at all.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I recently had this 1933 DeLong card come back in a sub and I want to question the description on the label. This card says Authentic, Evidence of Trimming. To me, trimming would be the cutting of a side by a person usually to make the card appear to have more even borders, or sharp corners, or to perhaps fit a certain frame of some kind.

Here’s the criteria for a 1:

GRADE

QUALITY
POOR

DESCRIPTION
This card usually exhibits many of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, small portions of the card may be missing.

I don’t usually argue about grades received, but I think to say that this was trimmed is incorrect and I believe that it meets the SGC definition of a 1 grade.
I get what you’re saying, based off most examples we’d see trimmed isn’t a positive qualifier. Then again any qualifier isn’t good. Trimmed generally has the assumption that it’s doctored on purpose. This example is definitely trimmed with a straight edge, for whatever reason (likely heavy damage) but surely isn’t to trick anyone.

Don’t want to sound like daddy warbucks, but why grade it ? You can get a PR 1 for near $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30548918839...mis&media=COPY

Or a 5 for around $850

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30548918839...mis&media=COPY