NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > CardTarget.com > Cardtarget.com - General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default Sniping

Should the snipe tool be built right into the bidding menu???

Grand Slam is basically endorsing sniping by having the snipe tool so "embedded" into its software. Fantastic for a buyer but a bit aggravating for a seller (or at least nerve rattling). At the end of the day, I'm not sure that is so great for both the auction house and the seller. So how about putting some "pizazz" into the "snipe" tool?

For instance, letting both the seller and bidder know that a snipe was placed on an item. Heck, a counter with the number of unique snipes on an item would be cool and exciting. This would give the current bidder and potential sniper something to think about. Plus, give the seller some hope (perhaps false hope, but so be it....). Only problem is competition and the techie dudes.

When "Grand Slam" starts to become more successful, some of the current snipe programs (GavelSnipe, etc.) will want to get into the act. Grand Slam would not have access to bids from other snipe software and could not include that data into its "snipe counter" feature. Thus, although not a perfect system, a "snipe counter" would at least level the playing field a little bit between the buyer and seller, and in the process make bidding a little bit more exciting.

Lovely Day...
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Matt Wieder

Currently, the seller does have a counter showing if any snipes are scheduled. Obviously he can't see the amounts. That was done exactly to avoid the issue you raised of sellers being nervous due to increased ease of sniping.

Last edited by Matt; 01-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

That is great, but what is wrong with letting everybody else see that a snipe was set?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default discuss this

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
That is great, but what is wrong with letting everybody else see that a snipe was set?
Matt and I will have to discuss this. At first thought I would think we would only want the seller to see that a snipe has been set. I am thinking it's one of those "need to know" things. Again, Matt and I will discuss this. As I have said all along we want to make it as good for everyone as possible but it won't be perfect, as one person's perfect is not anothers.

Also, I like the suggestion about moving the snipe button and Matt and I will discuss that too. Keep the feedback coming. It helps validate what Matt and I are doing and helps us to make changes for the good of the community. We appreciate it very much!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Pup6913

Just my 2 cents worth but if you let the buyer(s) see there is a snipe on a item already it may pursuade them to not put one up or bid in thought that it may not matter. If we "the sellers" are the only to see if there is a snipe it makes us happy to know that there is going to be some final biding in the end as well as atleast 1 or more bids are going to come in forcing the price up therefore making me Happier and I am sure Matt and Leon are going to be happier as they get a better # in the end.

Buyers seeing snipes-- NO

Sellers -- Yes

This is just my rambling opinion and if it helps great, if not I don't know
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Built in snipe feature is a plus. I have never used a sniping service because in all honesty I am not going to trust someone else, especially someone that I don't know, with access to my login information.

As for a snipe counter for buyers or sellers, I would consider that information privileged and no one but the sniper should know that a snipe has been scheduled. Other bidders have no need to know, nor do sellers. Sellers being happy to know that there will be more bids is not a need, plus I do believe that it creates an added incentive to those tempted to shill, knowing that there are more bids scheduled.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
As for a snipe counter for buyers or sellers, I would consider that information privileged and no one but the sniper should know that a snipe has been scheduled. Other bidders have no need to know, nor do sellers. Sellers being happy to know that there will be more bids is not a need, plus I do believe that it creates an added incentive to those tempted to shill, knowing that there are more bids scheduled.
Tim - thanks for the feedback. Our thinking is as follows - with the integration of sniping, there is an increased likelihood people will use it, which is going to make sellers nervous when they see their item isn't being bid up as much. Because of that we felt it important to indicate to the seller that snipe bids have been scheduled so they know there are indeed more bids expected on their item. Obviously we thought about shilling implications, but since the seller can't see the snipe bid amount, he doesn't know if the snipe is anything more then the next bid increment, so he can't really use the information to shill. Furthermore, a user can cancel his snipe bid anytime.

Last edited by Matt; 01-27-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Jimmy M

I agree that the built-in sniping is a nice new feature for everyone. Buyers should not be allowed to see if there are other snipes set. Sellers should be able to see them - the number of snipes, and definitely NOT the amount. As noted in a previous post, having the seller see the amount will only lead to shill bids.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM
T!M R10rd@n

If a snipe bid is set, and then the bidding exceeds the set snipe price, at that time does the scheduled snipe get automatically cancelled because it is now useless, and no longer shows up in a snipe counter to a seller?

Or does it remain in effect, in the unlikely event that a bid is retracted perhaps thereby making the snipe viable once again?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
If a snipe bid is set, and then the bidding exceeds the set snipe price, at that time does the scheduled snipe get automatically cancelled because it is now useless, and no longer shows up in a snipe counter to a seller?

Or does it remain in effect, in the unlikely event that a bid is retracted perhaps thereby making the snipe viable once again?
Currently, when your snipe amount is exceeded by an actual bid, it is removed. We're aware of that and have plans to change it so your snipe stays even when outbid.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Todd C

I placed a snipe bid on an item even though I was high bidder on the E102 card.

My original high bid was the winning bid...but when the snipe bid was placed, the new high was the winning bid amount. No other bids were placed

that does not make sense. Seems like a corrections should be made.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Matt Wieder

should be fixed now.

Last edited by Matt; 01-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Bruce C.

Although I rarely use snipes, I like the feature being added to the site. You don't have to worry about sharing your info with someone else.

Sellers should know snipes are set, buyers should not.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
James Gallo

I like the way the snipe feature is set up and that the seller sees it and the buyer doesn't. Good stuff.

James G
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great feedback guys

Great feedback guys. The sniping was something that Matt and I felt strongly about and the site has to have it. One debate we are still having (and we are leaning towards only buyers seeing if snipes are set) is the positioning of the snipe button, itself. I sort of think it's a little "too" in your face, and think it could be better somewhere that is not "right there" next to the bid button. Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
FredYoung

I agree the snipe button, or area, should be moved! As a seller I would prefer to see BIDS encouraged!

What is the thinking behind only having buyers see snipes & not sellers?

As a seller, I would feel much better knowing that a snipe or two is set if I don't have early bids---would be much more likely not to end an auction early.
On the other hand, showing Buyers that a couple of snipes are set may make them say "What's the use"?

Am I wrong in that thinking?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
I agree the snipe button, or area, should be moved! As a seller I would prefer to see BIDS encouraged!

What is the thinking behind only having buyers see snipes & not sellers?

As a seller, I would feel much better knowing that a snipe or two is set if I don't have early bids---would be much more likely not to end an auction early.
On the other hand, showing Buyers that a couple of snipes are set may make them say "What's the use"?

Am I wrong in that thinking?
Fred - Leon mis-typed - only sellers can see how many snipes are set (and of course, not the snipe amounts). We felt providing that to the sellers would put them more at ease as with sniping being integrated, more people will use it. On the one hand, more people will be using sniping, on the other hand, sellers get to know some snipes are coming in, which they've never been able to tell before.

Last edited by Matt; 02-01-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yikes

Woops, I typed the opposite of what we are thinking. Of course we are leaning towards only having the sellers see the snipes. If there are a few set then that could be good and might prevent a few ended early auctions.....the other thing is that sometimes I will wait till the end and manually bid...so just because there is only 1-2 snipes, or even less, doesn't mean it won't sell and have mulitple bids at the end. You only really know when the auction is over. regards