NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
good luck with that...
IMO, SGC's silence is deafening. Unfortunately, many organizations believe that silence is the best way to handle "damage control." Personally, I'm much more inclined to patronize an organization that quickly steps up to the plate with a "mea culpa" coupled with a vow to remedy the problem.
Val
Old 10-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

The slab in my opinion the weakest part of SGC.

The slippage seems to occur with the thinner prewar cards. If a thicker gasket is not possible then maybe they could add plastic bumpers like PSA.

I'd love to see them improve the slab by making them smaller and more tamper resistant.

Brent Ingr@ m
Old 10-30-2014, 10:16 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

SGC's biggest problem with their gaskets indeed seem to be for the smaller tobacco cards. I found this highly ironic because T206's are SGC's bread and butter and yet the gasket for those cards hardly ever fit properly. I understand T206s have different sizes, but that shouldn't be a reason SGC can't make a gasket that fits all T206s. PSA has done it, SGC needs to figure out a solution. My suggestion would to make the gasket plastic and not hand cut cardboard. Of course to stick with the lovely black gasket, I'd make the plastic black to still standout from PSA.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
SGC's biggest problem with their gaskets indeed seem to be for the smaller tobacco cards. I found this highly ironic because T206's are SGC's bread and butter and yet the gasket for those cards hardly ever fit properly. I understand T206s have different sizes, but that shouldn't be a reason SGC can't make a gasket that fits all T206s. PSA has done it, SGC needs to figure out a solution. My suggestion would to make the gasket plastic and not hand cut cardboard. Of course to stick with the lovely black gasket, I'd make the plastic black to still standout from PSA.
Gaskets for oversized cards are as bad, if not worse, than the standard sized holder for tobacco cards; there are just fewer cards in these holders in terms of volume.

Essentially all of SGC's gaskets seem to be a problem from what I have seen.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972

Last edited by the-illini; 10-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Brian J0hns0n

Quote:
My suggestion would to make the gasket plastic and not hand cut cardboard. Of course to stick with the lovely black gasket, I'd make the plastic black to still standout from PSA.
I believe they are plastic. At least the ones I have cracked out were thin and flimsy plastic. This gasket problem is not just an inconvenience or aesthetic issue. 2 out of the 3 T206's in SGC slabs I received recently were out of place and corners were damaged as a result. THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT RISK OF DAMAGE TO CARDS BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Just a thicker paper stock would make a world of difference. If the gasket is thicker than the card, the card can't escape it!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Hi Guys,

We realize that we are a little late responding to this thread. We have been looking into the issue and waiting to respond until we had some useful information. So to the question, "Is this typical for SGC holders?" The answer to that question is "no" and it seems to be an issue with the insert we use for T206 sized cards. Most of the people on this board have been submitting cards to SGC for years without experiencing cards moving within the holder so we are confident that this issue is isolated.

We believe the black insert adds much appeal to our product, however it is sometimes difficult to have the card remain in place if the insert is not produced properly. This is especially true for cards that are undersized for the issue or cards that are of thin card stock. Any slight variance in the insert can cause card movement. We have gone through our inventory and discovered that some of the inserts that we use for T206 sized cards had some minor warping. This warping can disturb the precision of the fit and create space allowing for movement. We have also noticed a slight difference in size of the die-cut or opening where the card sits. The dies that are used to make the inserts wear down (producing a less precise cut) over time and we have had new ones produced over the years by our manufacturer. As best as we can determine, it appears that the cards that have shifted in the holder were encapsulated with inserts cut from an older die, some with larger openings.

Going forward we will be adding to our Quality Control process a visual inspection of the inserts to ensure that the die cut opening is uniform and free of warping.

For those of you who have received cards that have shifted in the holder, we ask that you return them to SGC so they can be re-holdered with a proper fitting insert. This will be done free of charge.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and please know that we are working hard to make sure that these issues do not occur going forward. We appreciate your patience, understanding and loyalty.

Regards,

Sean Skeffington
SGC

If anyone has any questions, please contact me directly at sskeffington@sgccard.com
Old 10-31-2014, 04:33 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Pretty sure that I have never seen attorney Joe Orlando address ANY issue up close and personal on a public forum. Just sayin...........
Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 AM
FredYoung

That's good enough for me!

Thanks Sean, for addressing the problem and more importantly, for promising to FIX the problem!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Jason Stricker

Good to see SGC addressing the issues!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Luke Lyon

Nice post Sean. I like SGC for my tobacco and caramel cards, and I personally have never had this problem. If I had, I would be very pleased by your offer to re-holder the cards with warped holders.