NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Default OT Congrats to the KC Royals

Is it just me or have the Royals put the OMG back into baseball? 1985 - has been a long long wait for this kind of excitement........
Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Robert

Couldn't agree more! Go ROYALS!!!!!!!!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 10-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Couldn't agree more! Go ROYALS!!!!!!!!
Me Too! vs. Giants in Series

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Dave_Berg

A fun to watch underdog for sure
Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Bill Gregory

I am really happy for Royals fans. No matter what happens from here, they made the playoffs. I hope they win it all, to be honest.

I am pulling for them, and I have extra incentive as three former Brewers, Nori Aoki, Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain top the Royal lineup.

Seeing Pittsburgh and KC back in the postseason is good for baseball.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

It's a blast for sure but these dramatic, extra-inning wins are hard to sit through sometimes! Very proud of the boys in blue though
Old 10-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Dustin Bellinger

I am a Cubs fan myself but the Royal have a very strong following here in Nebraska due to the AAA affiliate in Omaha. Glad to see them doing well but my work performance would be helped if they could finish in 9 innings.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Jimi

Hey, look at how strong the AL Central and AL West look compared to the AL East NOW??

AL Central = Tigers and Royals, but the Indians had a chance through game 160.

AL West = Angels and A's, but the Mariners were in it until the end, too.

I would fully expect all 6 of these teams to be in contention next year, and I'm sure another team will sneak in there somewhere.

No Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays this year???? Craziness!!

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I am a Cubs fan myself but the Royal have a very strong following here in Nebraska due to the AAA affiliate in Omaha. Glad to see them doing well but my work performance would be helped if they could finish in 9 innings.
My liking for the Royals comes from my upbringing in Omaha. Not only was the AAA there, but each year my Church youth group would take a trip down to see the KC Royals. So even though my first game was a San Diego Padres game. My first memories of baseball are Royals games (AAA and MLB) I, too, was a Cubs fan while living there. Overall I am a baseball fan and will root for the home team (When I was in LA I rooted for Dodgers and Angels), so now that I am in St. Louis I don't root for the Cubs or Royals, but still enjoy watching either team do well.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Kenny

Big Royals fan. Will be there today hoping for the sweep...
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

She's definitely more your type than Kate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Hey, look at how strong the AL Central and AL West look compared to the AL East NOW??

AL Central = Tigers and Royals, but the Indians had a chance through game 160.

AL West = Angels and A's, but the Mariners were in it until the end, too.

I would fully expect all 6 of these teams to be in contention next year, and I'm sure another team will sneak in there somewhere.

No Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays this year???? Craziness!!

Jimi
The KC run is great. Just a reminder to any who may think Bud Selig deserves eventual hall consideration-- if he'd had his was many of these teams would have been contracted (A's, Royals, Twins, etc). What a joke that was, but he did eventually accomplish his own personal re-alignment with the Brewers (I'm sure I may have oversimplified there-- so Bill G please add any Selig/Brewer- switch from AL to NL history gaps)

Anyway, I'm so glad these teams survived that proposed purge and love when any on that list (as well as other small to mid market) excel Sept/Oct. I also do like and embrace that baseball doesn't have a salary cap, and that there's still huge financial inequity--- it just makes unlikely runs/seasons like this more satisfying.

Now baseball and the networks need to get on board and learn how to sell these stories! Royals vs Giants (or even more so Pirates had they survived) would be a great matchup (Royals remind me of the WS Giants teams), but seems would be doomed from a ratings standpoint. After over a decade of being bombarded (on ESPN and by MLB) by Yankees Red Sox, seems the "casual" and "homer" fans have forgotten about others teams/cities. This year is a great year to try and bring them back (pre-1994 style).
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Everyone is talking about the Royals and nobody is mentioning the Orioles. PLEASE keep doing so.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Everyone is talking about the Royals and nobody is mentioning the Orioles. PLEASE keep doing so.
The Orioles do deserve credit and amazingly smacked the Tigers around, but the Royals clawed their way in...so I guess against odds, they are doing what no one actually thought they would, hence the attention. People love the underdog.

One thing I wonder with the Orioles is how their starting pitching will hold up...Having Tillman and Chen as your two best is very scary. That being said, an Orioles/Royals match-up should be very gritty. I really don't think the Tigers or Angels were prepared for what was coming their way.

I don't care who wins between the two...I like both teams...should be outstanding either way.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 10-05-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
The Orioles do deserve credit and amazingly smacked the Tigers around, but the Royals clawed their way in...so I guess against odds, they are doing what no one actually thought they would, hence the attention. People love the underdog.

One thing I wonder with the Orioles is how their starting pitching will hold up...Having Tillman and Chen as your two best is very scary. That being said, an Orioles/Royals match-up should be very gritty. I really don't think the Tigers or Angels were prepared for what was coming their way.

I don't care who wins between the two...I like both teams...should be outstanding either way.
People should love the underdog. Don't forget most media outlets had the Orioles finishing last in the A.L. East. I don't understand the idea that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching. Our starters had a lower ERA than the "Big 3" of Detroit and are almost statistically even with Kansas City. The overall ERA is 7th in MLB. Perhaps the Orioles are getting overlooked because they ran away with the division? Regardless, they play much better with a chip on their shoulder.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 10-05-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Clint

Living in Kansas I somehow became an Orioles fan as a kid. Rooted for the Royals as well during all those heartbreaking loses to the Yankees in the 70's. Feels a little like Heaven right now.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
29 year playoff draught has everything to do with it. No offense to the O's but they don't have an equal story. I'm a Giants fan, but don't really expect many outside SF are talking about us either... Doesnt bother me too much.

Congrats to Royals (and O's) fans on advancing.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
People should love the underdog. Don't forget most media outlets had the Orioles finishing last in the A.L. East. I don't understand the idea that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching. Our starters had a lower ERA than the "Big 3" of Detroit and are almost statistically even with Kansas City. The overall ERA is 7th in MLB. Perhaps the Orioles are getting overlooked because they ran away with the division? Regardless, they play much better with a chip on their shoulder.
You are right...because they ran away with the AL East, the attention isn't there. As far as their pitching goes...I'm just saying that I believe their starters are vulnerable. Tillman isn't an ace, Chen isn't an ace...seems like they have a bunch of #3 type rotation guys and we could see this come to a head in the upcoming series or the World Series if they make it.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
29 year playoff draught has everything to do with it. No offense to the O's but they don't have an equal story. I'm a Giants fan, but don't really expect many outside SF are talking about us either... Doesnt bother me too much.

Not to split hairs but the Royals have won a World Series more recently than the Orioles.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:

Why would they be talking about the Giants! They've won a few WS recently!! Just messin with ya, Ian
Old 10-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Why would they be talking about the Giants! They've won a few WS recently!! Just messin with ya, Ian
They never talk about us, you know that Mike! It's fun to remain an underdog, even after winning 2 of 4. That said, definitely not taking LDS for granted. Giants came back to win 3 straight in Cincinnati 2 years ago. MadBum needs to take care of business tomorrow.

Re- Royals/Orioles--- it's not even close from the public POV. Orioles had a very solid sustained run pretty recently, and won a WS two years prior to Royals... and several before that. Royals not only haven't been to playoffs since 1985, but most years haven't even sniffed it.. they're often out of it by mid-summer. If I were you (Orioles1954), I'd just enjoy watching/rooting for my team regardless of what others think. We're both lucky to have postseason teams.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Should be a great ALCS. I may think about heading to KC for a game. Always liked the Royals and I rooted for them in all those series against the Yanks in the '70s and in the WS against the Phils in '80 and Cards in '85. Have been meaning to make a trip to see the Royals play in Kauffman Stadium and would be nice to also get some KC barbeque. Would be an expensive proposition for one game, however.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm enjoying this immensely. Having survived 14 straight losing seasons from 1998-2011, this is incredibly meaningful to the city of Baltimore and myself, personally.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Doug Franz

As a Kansas boy who grew up spoiled with great Royals teams that made the playoffs about every year, I am thrilled to see them back in the mix 29 short years after their last appearance. Having not lived in Kansas for quite a while now, I'm back on the bandwagon!!! Keep it going, KC!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Ken McMillan

It's all about who is hot at the time. Looks like KC has momentum but that can change. The important thing is for the Cardinals to choke so us long suffering Cub fans don't have to listen to gloating Cardinal fans for the next year.

Last edited by kmac32; 10-06-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp717 View Post
As a Kansas boy who grew up spoiled with great Royals teams that made the playoffs about every year, I am thrilled to see them back in the mix 29 short years after their last appearance. Having not lived in Kansas for quite a while now, I'm back on the bandwagon!!! Keep it going, KC!
Nice, looks like we'll both be rooting for our teams from afar, but in the same spot... I fly to Anchorage tomorrow.

My wife, and native Kansan is not moved in the slightest, but it's fun to see how excited the in-laws and other friends are.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeez, the Angels had the best record in baseball and all this incredible talent, and they couldn't even win one post season game. Maybe the Royals are the team of destiny.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Should be a great ALCS. I may think about heading to KC for a game. Always liked the Royals and I rooted for them in all those series against the Yanks in the '70s and in the WS against the Phils in '80 and Cards in '85. Have been meaning to make a trip to see the Royals play in Kauffman Stadium and would be nice to also get some KC barbeque. Would be an expensive proposition for one game, however.
Wife says she read that ALDS tickets were going for as high as $400 at the K.... I think the last game I attended was somewhere around $4 (and included a hot dog & drink) and stadium was about 1/3 full.

KC BBQ - Best in the world... Really miss it - Recently relocated to Texas and I'm pretty sure that KC has forgotten more about BBQ than Texas will ever know. (that oughta stick a burr in the mesquite BBQ fan's shorts)
Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Doug Franz

Quote:
Nice, looks like we'll both be rooting for our teams from afar, but in the same spot... I fly to Anchorage tomorrow.

My wife, and native Kansan is not moved in the slightest, but it's fun to see how excited the in-laws and other friends are.
Interestingly enough, I kinda jumped on the Giants bandwagon a few years back because I enjoy visiting San Francisco and thought the team with such a rich history finally deserved another championship. I even got to see a playoff game against the Phillies while I was there; what a terrific place to take in a game! Here's to hoping for a Giants-Royals World Series.

As for your wife, maybe she'll come around. Lots of Kansas friends I forgot I had have been posting on FB about how excited they are about the Royals...it's been a long time coming!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Wife says she read that ALDS tickets were going for as high as $400 at the K.... I think the last game I attended was somewhere around $4 (and included a hot dog & drink) and stadium was about 1/3 full.

KC BBQ - Best in the world... Really miss it - Recently relocated to Texas and I'm pretty sure that KC has forgotten more about BBQ than Texas will ever know. (that oughta stick a burr in the mesquite BBQ fan's shorts)
I've been to the Hill Country of Texas several times and had brisket, sausage, ribs, etc. at some of the best BBQ places down there (Franklin, Black's, Smitty's, J. Mueller, Salt Lick, etc.). Have always wanted to do a combination Royals / BBQ trip to KC.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Ad@m Be11

I look forward to watching the Orioles, hopefully make the World Series. The last time it happened I was 3 years old. I now have a 3 year old son.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 PM
John Hanssen

Got me ticket for tomorrow Monday. I will be setting up so high the Bob Uker will be 2 rows in front of me. It will be raining all day and about 55 degrees with 15-20 wind.

None of that matters, I'm pumped, I can't wait.

Go Royals!!!

Last edited by nebboy; 10-12-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 PM

As an Orioles fan I can do nothing but congratulate the Royals. They played the game right on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, that changes for my Birds as they tend to play better on the road with less pressure. Is the game going to be a rain out?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
As an Orioles fan I can do nothing but congratulate the Royals. They played the game right on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, that changes for my Birds as they tend to play better on the road with less pressure. Is the game going to be a rain out?
This year's playoffs have been amazing so far. I know when your team isn't winning it may not seem that way, but man, every time I turn around it's a tie ball game in the eighth or ninth inning. I'm really torn between the Royals and Orioles...love both of these teams and hate that only one can make it to the Series. I've always been an American League guy, so most likely I'll be rooting for whoever comes out of the AL.

Let's see if the Orioles can get back in this thing!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Arnie

I prefered the good old days when KC was like a farm team for the Yankees.

Right now I am rooting for Orioles and Giants, if it winds up a KC-Cards world series, boy, I am not gonna have much intrest in that one!

I never was one to root for the underdog, i guess thats because i grew up in NY a Yankee fan in the 50's and 60's when i saw my team dominate for a long time.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Right now I am rooting for Orioles and Giants...I never was one to root for the underdog
Quite the contradiction. The Giants are the underdogs. The Giants actually have the worst regular season record of the four remaining teams. They were a wild card team.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Ad@m Be11

KC is just having everything go their way. I've seen more broken bat bloop hits these last two games then I have in a long time. I was at the game Friday night and felt half sick. The O's need some better starting pitching and need to get up early in one of these games. The KC bullpen has been lights out.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 10-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Buckets of rain right now, with rain most of the day and evening. There is a very good chance this game is rained out.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Quite the contradiction. The Giants are the underdogs. The Giants actually have the worst regular season record of the four remaining teams. They were a wild card team.
I was thinking of KC really when i mentioned the underdog. The Giants i am for due to their New York roots anyway, same with the Brooklyn, er i mean Los Angeles Dodgers.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I was thinking of KC really when i mentioned the underdog. The Giants i am for due to their New York roots anyway, same with the Brooklyn, er i mean Los Angeles Dodgers.
Well the match up you're against is the one I am for. I want to see a KC-STL match up. I grew up watching KC from Omaha, and now I am in StLouis so I am all for it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Well the match up you're against is the one I am for. I want to see a KC-STL match up. I grew up watching KC from Omaha, and now I am in StLouis so I am all for it.
Maybe we will get a mix, say KC vs Giants.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Maybe we will get a mix, say KC vs Giants.
Wow for not being an underdog fan you sure pick 'em.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Wow for not being an underdog fan you sure pick 'em.
Didnt say i WANTED that matchup, but thought it would be a compromise for those who want an all middle-of-the-country world series.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Eric Matthews

Rats... game for tonight was canceled. I guess I have some free time tonight!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 PM
John Hanssen

Rain rain go away - I will try again tomarrow
Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 PM
John Hanssen

Game on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.5 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by nebboy; 10-14-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Rob

O's in trouble...
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Well, the Orioles season and my interest in baseball will be done tomorrow. Congrats to the KC Royals for sweeping us.....you deserved it.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti